Don't plug 2 chargers on your new 13/15inch MacBook Pro.... you'll break your system.

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but then you'd have 4 ports and a magsafe instead of 3 and charge or 4 ad no charge

Then why not 5 USB ports instead of 4 USB ports and MagSafe?

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

The idea is that the USB C port can be a charging port when you need it and be any other port when you aren't charging your laptop. What better way to showcase the versatility of USB C?

A magsafe port is a charging port when you need to charge your laptop, but you can't turn it into any other port when you aren't charging your laptop. 

If you make an exception for MagSafe, then why not for HDMI, or SD or some other port you might deem indispensable?

because charging your laptop is what you do almost every time you use it. And you don't even have to look to plug a magsafe port in. And it isn't subject to fucking breaking omg do you have any idea how many ports I've had to resolder for people. 

Ofc this give 4 charging ports if one breaks, I guess. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Then why not 5 USB ports instead of 4 USB ports and MagSafe?

cause a magsafe doesn't break if someone trips on your charger's cable

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

18 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but then you'd have 4 ports and a magsafe instead of 3 and charge or 4 ad no charge

After looking at the PCB, I doubt it. To add a type C Magsafe port would further complicate the design and would probably remove the ability to charge with Type C, which is regression IMO.

My meager EE knowledge leads me to believe the ports all go into the battery charging circuitry in parallel, which wouldn't screw with the voltage. But they all might request charging current, and now the circuit is exposed to 4x as much current.

Welp, here's your revelation into why a "do everything" port can be a bad idea.

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

After looking at the PCB, I doubt it. To add a type C port would further complicate the design and would probably remove the ability to charge with Type C, which is regression IMO.

didn't propose add a type-c port, add a magsafe port and with the amount of empty space down there, it's not impossible or complicated 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

26 minutes ago, tlink said:

how the hell did they butcher the circuitry this bad? first the wifi and adapter problems, now this. i thought apple was supposed to "do it right"  when other manufacturers failed to implement it, but this just looks like pure ineptness with USB type c.

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

didn't propose add a type-c port, add a magsafe port and with the amount of empty space down there, it's not impossible or complicated 

Oops, I mispoke, but my point still stands. There isn't enough space(on the PCB) to add a magsafe connector without a major redesign, and it would most likely remove the ability to charge via Type C which is one of the better benefits of Type C(even though Apple managed to fuck it up).

33 minutes ago, tlink said:

how the hell did they butcher the circuitry this bad? first the wifi and adapter problems, now this. i thought apple was supposed to "do it right"  when other manufacturers failed to implement it, but this just looks like pure ineptness with USB type c.

I can understand the wifi adapter thing due to PCIe lanes limitations (although they could settle for a single thunderbolt instead of 2). The multiple charger, though... I guess it's one of the advantages of making everything, input, output, power and whatnot, a single connector. Enjoy.

Although maybe they just thought their accessories are expensive enough for no one to have a spare charger lying around :P 

In any case, don't panic. I'm sure Louis Rossmann will find an unauthorized way to fix it ^_^

20 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

For scenarios like what I had this morning: All USB ports were being used and I needed to plug another USB device in, and the power plug was sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

yes but a charging port will take up nowhere near any space compared to the usb type c port. the circuitry still has to be there with usb type c, its just combined in there. charging only takes 4 connection points, they could've literally ran the charging traces from usb into a magsafe port. this is how big the circuitry for a magsafe port is:
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor magsafe pcb
it saves almost no space, for a huge functionality compromise imo.

25 minutes ago, Prysin said:

"by sheer willpower" well aint that a bunch of spiritual bullshit lmao. i get what he's saying but i'm not sure i agree nor how its relevant to what i said :P this is more talking about how innovative they are and i don't see how that's applicable to circuitry design, the idea behind it was fine, the industrial design too. the electrical design was just shit.

3 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Oops, I mispoke, but my point still stands. There isn't enough space(on the PCB) to add a magsafe connector without a major redesign, and it would most likely remove the ability to charge via Type C which is one of the better benefits of Type C(even though Apple managed to fuck it up).

how is charging through c a benefit?

this doesn't happen with magsafe

which makes the type-c for charging regressive in comparison 

and th magsafe port doesn't even need to be soldered on the mobo, it can stay on it's own as a daughterboard and plug in with a ribbon a cable or something like that without making any major changes to the mobo

1 minute ago, Rune said:

See a lot of people complaining about magsafe. Just buy one of these and you'd be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-BreakSafe-Breakaway-Chromebook-replacement/dp/B01CQTK6GU

Yeah sure why not, let's pay another fucking 40$ for something we had for free last year. 

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

Yeah sure why not, let's pay another fucking 40$ for something we had for free last year. 

Sounds like you need a headphone adapter, too.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Sounds like you need a headphone adapter, too.

and a lightning to type-c cable too 

51 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

After looking at the PCB, I doubt it. To add a type C Magsafe port would further complicate the design and would probably remove the ability to charge with Type C, which is regression IMO.

The real regression here is that you will have a back-pack full of adapters... 9_9

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

This is interesting, but why would you charge your MacBook with 4 chargers anyway xD

you can be in a work place environment and there are lots of chargers and adapters lying around and you accidentally plug in a second charger instead of the adapter you confused it with

All they need to is make a book on their failed products. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

If manufacturers keep fucking up USB-C implementations, it is likely to get banned.

There were reasons that previous power cable standards had them using different ports for different ratings and output/input. It should be physically impossible for a consumer to plug in multiple power adapters if it can do any harm.

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

I dont have a macbook pro but thanks.

And any i-sheep will always said any apple product is great. including those $300 book.

If I was ever going to pay $300 for a book it had better have the secret to immortality or no deal.  ?

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

This is interesting, but why would you charge your MacBook with 4 chargers anyway xD

The point was to see what would happen and you'll notice the charge circuitry got fried even with just 2 chargers plugged into the Macbook.  So it seems that even if someone has an oops moment and plugs in just 1 extra charger they're screwed.  

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup. On the same video, you see him yanking the power cord as a test, and you can see that USB type-C connector holds so well, that the cable and port broke. So, imagine an actual trip... your system will fly off the table, hit the floor hard (breaking something possibly), your power cord is broken, and your USB Type-C cord is also potentially broken.

The possibly of that is what worries me.  People already overpay for Macs but can you imagine how extra messed up that would be if you spent close to $3000 on a MacBook Pro and then it becomes a frisbee because the cat tripped you?  ?

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I watched that idiots video (saved a bunch of people $300 tbh), I would be willing to be he will open that book at max another 3 times. It'll sit on a shelf or in a dresser or whatnot and collect dust.

He's actually pretty fair and not really biased towards apple (surprising based on his name). Also, just FYI he didn't put the book on a shelf he shot it repeatedly with firearms.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

how is charging through c a benefit?

It handles data as well as power. In terms of data, it has the capacity of handling both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0, USB, and Thunderbolt(PCIe), none of which the usual power plug could do before. Its also multi voltage, allowing multiple devices to use 'the same' chargers and cables.

11 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

this doesn't happen with magsafe

It does actually. Magsafe only saves you when you are pulling away from the laptop, but when you are pulling towards the laptop it will yank it.

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and th magsafe port doesn't even need to be soldered on the mobo, it can stay on it's own as a daughterboard and plug in with a ribbon a cable or something like that without making any major changes to the mobo

Adding a daughterboard would use more space than just adding it to the main PCB, and you are forgetting about the power regulation(and protection) needed just for the the magsafe port, which adds even more space needed. This is why we are seeing so much consolidation(less PCBs, and now connectors) than we used to(soldered RAM, WiFi, ports directly on mainboard,etc.).

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

The real regression here is that you will have a back-pack full of adapters... 9_9

"my desktop is Type C, my Laptop is Type C, my phone is Type C, my flash drives are Type C, my headphones are Type C, and my displays are Type C. I can use my flash drives, headphones, and displays with my desktop, laptop, and phone, I can use the same chargers and cables to charge both my laptop and phone, and I can use the same cable(s) to connect my laptop and phone to my desktop." - If everything were Type C(which we are moving in that direction), I don't see any need for adapters.

Someday, I hope keyboards(mice?), "audio gear", external storage, external GPU's, and companion devices(phones, tablets, laptops) are type C, just so we don't need to carry unique cables and chargers around.

I bet you charge your laptop(if applicable) with a different charger than your phone, don't you? That's two (unique) chargers you have to carry... "elegant".

4 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

? hahahah Lol.. thank you. u just made my day.

You're welcome.  Happy I could help.  ?