Don't plug 2 chargers on your new 13/15inch MacBook Pro.... you'll break your system.

GoodBytes
2 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

You know... this would NEVER have happened if they just stuck to the old proprietary connector.

I swear... trying to make everything work under one system just causes way too many issues.

Yeah, I never got why they insist on combining them. Power should be a separate measure, as it is just easier to manage. They even had one of the best systems/connectors on the market for that. I wonder if they will be forced to do a recall for this? In the EU they might have problems, especially if the Macbook Pro goes Note C4 on the user.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

You know... this would NEVER have happened if they just stuck to the old proprietary connector.

I swear... trying to make everything work under one system just causes way too many issues.

Not only that, when everyone bitches about proprietary connectors, no one ever means MagSafe. That was the one proprietary connector that everyone loved!

Hell, Microsoft loved it so much that they ripped it off for the Surface Pro series.

In fact, I'd be 100% okay if Apple licensed out the MagSafe connector to the rest of the industry, and that simply became the standard charging port.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, corrado33 said:

Who is going to have multiple mac power adapters with USB C? Surely not the college kids these computer are popular with. 

I don't have a single USB-C charging device yet, although I have multiple power adapters rated to charge them.

You do not need a "Mac power adapter", and not all USB-C charging devices are going to be Macs. Getting multiple power adapters will be easy.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Alright, so replace phone with "USB-C mouse that happens to have white cable", or "USB-C Headphones", or "USB-C external HDD".

Point being, if the cable is white, you could VERY EASILY plug the wrong thing into it. You could, for example, extremely easily plug in 2 chargers by accident.

It might be unlikely, but statistically speaking, it WILL happen multiple times, especially given how apparently multiple million units have been pre-ordered/sold already.

I wonder what happens when you plug two battery banks into a Macbook pro, or a mouse into a power adapter. If you plug your headphones directly into your external HDD, can you hear your data, and transmit it directly into your brain? These and more coming soon to a youtube channel near you.

@tlink @UberGamerKing 

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

This is moronic. How the fuck did nobody at Apple ever get their heads around that case?

This notebook is a failure. An outright failure, looking more and more like it was designed as one.

I'm going to assume you guys aren't die hard haters like @GoodBytes but the testing methodology wasn't right. MacBooks don't charge whenever the battery is above 90% (that if you disconnect and reconnect again). What he should've done is to drain the battery and then try again. Pretty sure there is a logic in place when multiple chargers are connected or they would've explicitly warned against. Besides the MacBook is being powered off from the wall and it does recognize that a power cable has been connected hence the internal circuitry is fine

And someone mentioned about wifi card issue. Pretty much only one person has experienced that and that is the infamous and arrogant Louis

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

"sometimes I have trouble sleeping and I open the book and flip through pictures of their products. Really fulfills me. "

It's an art piece. It's not for you, definitely not for me but for design enthusiasts. Why do you think artworks is expensive? Because there is a certain group (very small) who will pay a lot to get it. You can also get similar architecture books which are astronomically more expensive than what Apple's selling

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

cause a magsafe doesn't break if someone trips on your charger's cable

MagSafe pins do get damaged after extensive use (personal experience, MagSafe 1)

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Apple will probs say something along the lines of "having a magsafe or dedicated charging port will severely impact battery life"

Ofc someone could always say "oh no there is no space for an additional port. It will be impossibru!" That's why you start designing with a charging port in mind DUMBASS.

You're not very smart if you actually think that. Btw LTT video on RAM limit is Bullshit, check out the thread of that video

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'd love it if some third parties retested his hypothesis with tighter test procedures to rule out the variables. @nicklmg, good ideal for LMG to jump on before someone else beats you to it!

They'll fuck it up again because it's Apple and will do pretty much zero research

3 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

There will be many people who will think since you can charge in all the ports, you might be able to charge faster with 2 or more adapters simultaneously. Then pop.

I have no doubt there will be poorly manufactured type-C charging devices that will die spectacularly due to this.

Apple would've given an explicit warning if that were actually the case. Check out my comment above on why I think what he demonstrated on the video was an incomplete testing

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple would've given an explicit warning if that were actually the case. Check out my comment above on why I think what he demonstrated on the video was an incomplete testing

Yes, I saw it, it doesn't exclude the high likelihood that other manufacturers would fail at manufacturing USB-C devices.

Apple is run by people, and people make mistakes. Occasionally issues occur without prior expectation, and explicit warnings are not given until an issue is brought to attention. If this is an issue, then Apple will be giving an explicit warning on all their future devices.

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

I bet you charge your laptop(if applicable) with a different charger than your phone, don't you? That's two (unique) chargers you have to carry... "elegant".

im not going to lug around my laptop charger for my phone, and im not going to use my phones adapter for charging my laptop. the reason the two are different is because one can pack one hell of a punch while the other can't. sure the connectors are the same but its just plain dumb to try to interchange them, they require a completely different amount of watt. one can run and charge off of 5 watts but i would never try that with my 300 watt laptop charger (or even a non gaming laptop of 200 watts, or 150 watts) it just doesn't make sense to interchange those. unless you want to make wallsockets have an integrated 1000-2000 watt dc variable voltage usb type c port but thats a whole different can of worms.

3 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Apple is run by people, and people make mistakes. Occasionally issues occur without prior expectation, and explicit warnings are not given until an issue is brought to attention. If this is an issue, then Apple will be giving an explicit warning on all their future devices.

They're not perfect, I'll totally agree with that. But one thing that crossed everyone's mind when Apple said you can charge through any ports was this situation. Apple who probably had 1000s of smart engineers working on this product would have thought of it

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

im not going to lug around my laptop charger for my phone, and im not going to use my phones adapter for charging my laptop. the reason the two are different is because one can pack one hell of a punch while the other can't. sure the connectors are the same but its just plain dumb to try to interchange them, they require a completely different amount of watt. one can run and charge off of 5 watts but i would never try that with my 300 watt laptop charger (or even a non gaming laptop of 200 watts, or 150 watts) it just doesn't make sense to interchange those. unless you want to make wallsockets have an integrated 1000-2000 watt dc variable voltage usb type c port but thats a whole different can of worms.

Its not just the wattage, imagine plugging in a 5V device into a 19,5V(in my laptops case) charger... 9_9

13 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm going to assume you guys aren't die hard haters like @GoodBytes but the testing methodology wasn't right. MacBooks don't charge whenever the battery is above 90% (that if you disconnect and reconnect again). What he should've done is to drain the battery and then try again. Pretty sure there is a logic in place when multiple chargers are connected or they would've explicitly warned against. Besides the MacBook is being powered off from the wall and it does recognize that a power cable has been connected hence the internal circuitry is fine

Since when, this:

Image2.png

Is 90%?

That is more like 75-80%

13 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

@tlink [removed]

I'm going to assume you guys aren't die hard haters like [removed] but the testing methodology wasn't right. MacBooks don't charge whenever the battery is above 90% (that if you disconnect and reconnect again). What he should've done is to drain the battery and then try again. Pretty sure there is a logic in place when multiple chargers are connected or they would've explicitly warned against. Besides the MacBook is being powered off from the wall and it does recognize that a power cable has been connected hence the internal circuitry is fine

that would be a good explanation yes, i am no diehard hater in any way, i just don't agree with some choices. would love further testing in this.

15 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

MagSafe pins do get damaged after extensive use (personal experience, MagSafe 1)

Never heard that before. Also, I don't see any Surface users complaining about this... So assuming it is true, what you are saying, it can be made better.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Its not just the wattage, imagine plugging in a 5V device into a 19,5V(in my laptops case) charger... 9_9

isn't usb type c supposed to deal with that internally (as in in the circuitry)? i thought it could carry way higher voltages or something so i didn't comment further on it because frankly i don't know.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

isn't usb type c supposed to deal with that internally (as in in the circuitry)? i thought it could carry way higher voltages or something so i didn't comment further on it because frankly i don't know.

Good point, for all we know it could be an optional feature... This AIO approach already showing its drawbacks so IDK why they forcing it :/ .

53 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Since when, this:

Image2.png

Is 90%?

That is more like 75-80%

I don't know about the newer MacBooks. But I will attach a screenshot of my current windows laptop doing the same at about 80%

Untitled1.png

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Never heard that before. Also, I don't see any Surface users complaining about this... So assuming it is true, what you are saying, it can be made better.

Well, I've used my MacBook for 6 years. I don't think there that many long lasting surface devices yet

but when you are pulling towards the laptop it will yank it.

Not true at all. 

bet you charge your laptop(if applicable) with a different charger than your phone, don't you? That's two (unique) chargers you have to carry... "elegant".

You seriously gonna compare both ? you gonna compare a laptop charger with a phone one ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So as it turns out, using a do-everything port as the only port wasn't such a good idea. Who'da thunk it?

I'll stick to my ThinkPad and its glorious 7 row keyboard, thanks ^.^

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Definitely not 4 chargers ,  but i can easily see someone plugging two chargers in by mistake 

I can see monitors able to charge your device over usb c. With a good power management this nice, but is you plug the display in and forget to unplug your charger you kill the super expensive laptop. Great.

Also how where they thinking: surely nobody will ever use 2 chargers at the same time.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

And you guys laughed when the MacBook only had 1 port. 

Looks like Apple was ahead of you and knew that some idiot was going to stick lots of things in them to see what happens. 

Someone was bound to try this... I mean, was "hm, I wonder if you can charge it through 2 ports at once?" not everyone's first thought?

Can't believe they didn't see that coming and build in some sort of protection!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You missing an important thing, the things you listed are coexisted for a period of time to make the shift easier. In this case they just dumped all of them and force you to buy adapters, and to top it off if my memory serves me correctly this is a newer version which is not backward compatible. Compared to this mess what you just mentioned is just inconvenience... 9_9

c05073062.png

Two USB Type C's, one USB A. Coexistence. Apple isn't the only computer manufacturer, and it was their choice to go balls deep in Type C, but if you, the consumer, don't like that, there are other options on the market. Also, at least USB Type C can be adapted with a passive adapter, much better than an active adapter, and with that adapter devices are fully compatible even if they are USB 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1.

2 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Until they run out of bandwidth

Like we did with USB 1.0 and 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0?  I know 3.0/3.1 use more pins than 2.0/1.1/1.0, but at least they were all(on some level) compatible. I don't see any reason why Type C cant be upgraded, or have some level of backwards/forwards compatibility. I had USB ports starting in the 90's, what if I have Type C ports in the 30's?(2030's fuck this makes me feel old)

1 hour ago, tlink said:

im not going to lug around my laptop charger for my phone, and im not going to use my phones adapter for charging my laptop.

Electronics are getting more efficient, therefore using less power. My MSI GT70 uses a 180w brick(and even that adapter wasn't enough), but with the new MacBooks using anywhere from 25-65w(I think), you get power adapters that fit in the palm of your hand. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use 'this' adapter to charge your phone, or the laptop it came with:

https://www.solidrop.net/photo-2/original-usb-3-1-type-c-usb-c-29w-charger-adapter-a1540-for-macbook-12-inch-a1534-2015-year.jpg

(err, its not embeding, whatever just click the link)

1 hour ago, cesrai said:

Not true at all. 

You seriously gonna compare both ? you gonna compare a laptop charger with a phone one ? 

I might make a video showing that the magsafe can indeed yank the entire laptop. I've owned a few MacBooks, it does happen.

And yes I will compare both, look at the image I posted above, its basically a phone charger yet came with a MacBook. My wife has a MacBook(and I have a Spectre) and I do use the Apple/HP charger to charger my phones(s), and I have used phone charger to charge both of the laptops(albeit it was slower due to the lower voltage/current).

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

Electronics are getting more efficient, therefore using less power. My MSI GT70 uses a 180w brick(and even that adapter wasn't enough), but with the new MacBooks using anywhere from 25-65w(I think), you get power adapters that fit in the palm of your hand. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use 'this' adapter to charge your phone, or the laptop it came with:

https://www.solidrop.net/photo-2/original-usb-3-1-type-c-usb-c-29w-charger-adapter-a1540-for-macbook-12-inch-a1534-2015-year.jpg

(err, its not embeding, whatever just click the link)

the macbooks are dualcores, they always have been and they are specifically designed to be low power usage, they do this by compromising on other things such as raw performance. you have to understand that cpu's are way past their rapid development stage. intel made a 20nm jump in 2008, we will never be doing that again unless there will be some revolutionary physics breakthrough. we will be making 3nm or 4nm jumps from now on, until eventually the industry stalls and it will just be optimizing architectures which is also very limited. also, apple laptops NEVER had big powerbricks they always where around 55 watts. but most phone chargers can easily fit into any pocket, none of the apple laptop chargers can.