New Tesla buyers will have to pay to use Superchargers

Tesla currently has a network of 734 "Superchargers", which they claim to be the world's fastest charging station

Many have seen the placement of these stations as a positive thing given that it has so far been offered for free

All that will change on January 1st, 2017 for future buyers

Customers who buy Teslas after that January 1st cutoff will be afforded 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits each year, good for about 1,000 miles, according to Tesla. The company says it will release more details about the change later this year, but added that “prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity.”

Just as you would charge your cell phone, we believe the best way to charge your car is either at home or at work, during the hours you’re not using it. For travelers, the Supercharger Network has become a powerful, unique benefit of Tesla ownership. As we approach the launch of Model 3, this update will enable us to greatly expand our Supercharger Network, providing customers with the best possible user experience and bringing sustainable transport to even more people. -Tesla Team 

I honestly didn't expect the service to remain free forever considering the fact that Tesla will need money to pay for the increase in production (Tesla Gigafactory), and also the maintenance on the charging stations themselves

I'm just waiting to see how the future owners of the Tesla Model 3 will react though I expect most customers to stick to the car's promise of the future

The good news for current owners is that they'll still get it all free of charge (pun intended) 

Sources: Tesla, TheVerge, TechCrunch 

Yeah I don't know how anyone would expect it to remain free. I think Tesla not only has to charge for this service but also deserves it. They need any money/profit they can get to get these cars out there and to the general public. Just imo tho.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

dinosaur juice FTW

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Kinda makes sense as they need the funds to expand their supercharger network across NA

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Even with the supercharger stations a Tesla is not an ideal vehicle for a road trip.  When I am traveling somewhere, the last thing I want to do is wait 75 minutes every 300 miles for the car to charge.  I would imagine most Tesla owners have a second vehicle for longer trips which would make this kind of a moot point anyway.

THIS JUST IN: YOU NEED TO PAY TO USE GAS STATIONS!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

Even with the supercharger stations a Tesla is not an ideal vehicle for a road trip.  When I am traveling somewhere, the last thing I want to do is wait 75 minutes every 300 miles for the car to charge.  I would imagine most Tesla owners have a second vehicle for longer trips which would make this kind of a moot point anyway.

This is why I like hybrids.

1 minute ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

What?!  No way.  That's ridicuous!

I know right?!?! I always thought they were free!

No wonder people always yell and run after me while I drive away!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Still cheaper than gas.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

42 minutes ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

Yeah but many Households do have more then one Car.  my main Issue with them or when they were getting popular is therange i drive 100 miles 5 days a week though so options like the leaf on top of trips daily driving is out for me at least a tesla and the new chevy comming out are somewhat plausible cars for most.  

Though i guess driving 250 miles stopping for food then driving 250 miles is the farthest i would even consider i barley like stopping but would just find a  restaurant or something. but i probably would just take another car if i was traveling 500 miles 

as long as its cheaper than gas its not a problem. and if someone can buy a tesla would they care about spending a few dollars on electricity to run it

i still think we need a better solution for long roadtrips other than drive 300 miles, charge car for an hour and a half, drive another 300 miles, repeat....

just takes too long to recharge. :/ 

electric cars are great for the city though. Trouble is i'd probably have a heavy foot playing around with the instant torque all day... 

the new battery tech is coming soon they say.... seems like every year I see a new alternative to lithium pop up, nothing has yet to be implemented though. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah but many Households do have more then one Car.

Many households have more than one car, especially the type of household that could afford a Tesla.  Perhaps the husband drives the Tesla and the wife has a minivan (the stereotypes are real here, haha).  If most of the driving is around town the Tesla is perfectly fine.  On the rare occasion he drives 100+ miles from home he takes the minivan.

It wouldn't surprise me if 95% of people with an electric car had a second non-electric car in the garage as well.

7 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

snip

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

snip

it's not quite that bad to charge then when traveling. 20-30min can get you 200 miles of range so if you can time your charge with lunch there really isn't much lost time waiting for the car to charge.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Ouch, that really sucks, if they were suppose to get free electricity.... i mean, it is electricity, the energy that moves the world and can be converted from natural sources, is being extrapolated like everything else in life is, including water.

Groomlake Authority

7 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

I get that, but at the same time it's just like taking a break every few hours. Its a rest stop, time to eat, relax. 30 min charge would be ideal  but meh... Usually don't go on road trips > 500 miles anyways.

5 hours ago, bobhays said:

I get that, but at the same time it's just like taking a break every few hours. Its a rest stop, time to eat, relax. 30 min charge would be ideal  but meh... Usually don't go on road trips > 500 miles anyways.

The issue would be if a 30 minute charge won't get you to the next supercharger station.

22 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

I'm just waiting to see how the future owners of the Tesla Model 3 will react though I expect most customers to stick to the car's promise of the future

As far as I recall, the Model 3 was never going to get unlimited Supercharger use unless you purchased a premium upgrade package (thousands more than the base).

14 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

The issue would be if a 30 minute charge won't get you to the next supercharger station.

Sorry should've clarified.  I meant a 30 minute charge would be ideal if it was a quick charge that got up to 70-80%

Edit after looking it up they claim 80% in 40 minutes . Not bad