WOAH! AT&T bought Time Warner for $80 BILLION

jk_mi
2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes it looks like, but that's really NOT how it should be.

Ouer financial system is just out of controll. How long does it take until they make 80 billion profit? 250 years?

The price of something is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for. If AT&T believes Time Warner is worth $80 billion dollars, then it is worth $80 billion dollars. 

So, to clarify, it's Time Warner the entertainment company and not Time Warner Cable right?

1 hour ago, Jbarhomie said:

So, to clarify, it's Time Warner the entertainment company and not Time Warner Cable right?

Yes

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is to lock down distribution and licensing rights for a bunch of shows under TW

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

AT&T has agreed to buy Time Warner, but hasn't actually bought it, yet.

Donald Trump has something to say about the deal:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/trump-outlines-what-his-first-100-days-in-office-would-look-like/article32484228/

And he added a new threat to his repeated castigation of U.S. media corporations, which he says cover his campaign unfairly to help Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

“They’re trying desperately to suppress my vote and the voice of the American people,” Trump, who often rails against media outlets and journalists covering his events, told supporters in his speech. Trump has not provided evidence for his assertion that the election would be rigged.

“As an example of the power structure I’m fighting, AT&T is buying Time Warner and thus CNN, a deal we will not approve in my administration because it’s too much concentration of power in the hands of too few,” Trump said.

Telecommunications company AT&T Inc has agreed in principle to buy Time Warner Inc, one of the country’s largest film and television companies, for about $85-billion and an announcement could be made as early as Saturday.

Trump also said he would look at “breaking” up the acquisition by Comcast Corp of the media company NBC Universal in 2013.

“Deals like this destroy democracy,” he said in explaining his apparent deviation from the traditional Republican position that seeks to minimize the taxation and regulation of American companies.

Amazon.com Inc, the online retailer, should also be paying “massive taxes,” Trump said, reminding voters that Amazon chief executive Jeff Bezos also owns the Washington Post, a newspaper whose coverage Trump dislikes.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

the monopoly continues to grow in 'murica

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have this sickly feeling that AT&T U-Verse/DirecTV will be getting quite a few exclusive channels...

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I thought it was going to merge with Comcast? Will this result in competition? *gasp*

5 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

If WhatsApp purchase taught us anything, it's that the price is not the real indicator of how much something is worth in reality, it's just how much someone is ready to pay for it. 

How much someone is ready to pay for something, IS how much it's worth, løl. Microeconomics 101.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Oh so they just eliminated one of their only competitors.

Guess how they they gonna make the 80 billion back?

You.

But everyone's fine with it. Look out at the streets, everything's fine.

Time Warner the entertainment company, not Time Warner Cable. Two completely separate companies.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Just the fact that they can even afford to pay out that much money, goes to show how much they overcharge their customers and don't give a damn about upgrading their network. (Not to mention abusing government subsidies by getting paid and not actually doing the job/doing the bare minimum)

That's not really how corporate take-overs like this work. I'd be surprised if this came directly out of their liquidity in any significant amount, usually companies get loans from banks and try to get money from investors to finance these kinds of takeovers, which they can then slowly pay back over time.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Even if the price is agreed upon by both companies it will be a looooong time before the buyout actually happens. It will need to go through several approval processes. The FTC will have to approve it, the DOJ will have to approve it, New York (where Time Warner and AT&T are based out of) will have to approve it, and there might even be other entities or states that will need to approve it as well. IF ATT gets the go ahead it won't be until this time next year, at the earliest, that anything even starts going through. It took Comcast nearly a year to get approval to buy Universal, same with AT&T buying DirectTV, and Charter's purchase of Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse also took a long time. Comcast's failed attempt to but TWC even took like a year before it got denied.

If AT&T only offered faster in-home and wireless/mobile network speeds: I'd switch.

1 box for up to 5 room, 10 shows recorded at the same time, satellite tellivision and now a billion channels.

WAYYYY better than Xfinity TV :/

But Internet is more important to me than TV, so I'll be with Comcast & Verizon until AT&T can finally deliver more speed.

Hell, if the price is right, I'll even pay for the in-home security as well. I'll let AT&T control my digital life to the max!

Just offer more internet plz

I beatbox 

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

I don't give a fuck who bought who as long as they don't fuck with HBO

It's AT&T, I can PROMISE you that HBO is going to be fucked with 100%...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

On October 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Katsunaka said:

How's TW going to merge, when they've been bought by Charter, who will be known as Spectrum.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/our-company/charter-twc-merger/twc-charter-merger-information.html

Yep I have time warner and when I get my bill it's now called spectrum I believe it happened at least 2-3 months back

5 hours ago, Notional said:

I thought it was going to merge with Comcast? Will this result in competition? *gasp*

How much someone is ready to pay for something, IS how much it's worth, løl. Microeconomics 101.

I was just waiting for someone to respond with that. You know what I mean. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Time Warner purchased Charter Communications and merged it with their services.

AT&T purchased the entirety of Time Warner, which includes its cable service, CNN, HBO, etc.

I'd assume this also affects Warner Bros. and all of its subsidiaries.

lolwut no.

CHARTER bought Time Warner CABLE, which was a sub company of Timer Warner INC. THEY ARE/WERE TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES.

at&t gets Time Warner inc, Charter gets Time Warner Cable. 

Time warner did NOT buy out charter, contrary to what you've said.

Do you even fanboy bro?

17 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes it looks like, but that's really NOT how it should be.

Ouer financial system is just out of controll. How long does it take until they make 80 billion profit? 250 years?

That's the buyers problem. It actually IS how it is supoosed to be.

You are SUPPOSED to sell at the price that people WANT to buy it.

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Just the fact that they can even afford to pay out that much money, goes to show how much they overcharge their customers and don't give a damn about upgrading their network. (Not to mention abusing government subsidies by getting paid and not actually doing the job/doing the bare minimum)

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Time Warner purchased Charter Communications and merged it with their services.

AT&T purchased the entirety of Time Warner, which includes its cable service, CNN, HBO, etc.

I'd assume this also affects Warner Bros. and all of its subsidiaries.

Time to clear this up for y'all. Time Warner family here.

Charter bought TWC. They bought the Internet, TV, and Phone partition.

AT&T bought the media Division like record labels and production shit.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

21 hours ago, FloRolf said:

How the hell is time Warner worth 80 freaking billion? 

That's $80,000,000,000.00

Holy fucking shit. 

Bayer paid less for Monsanto and that was a massive deal. 

i think most of it is in stock value which varies a lot depending on the time

Details separate people.

11 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

It's AT&T, I can PROMISE you that HBO is going to be fucked with 100%...

How come more people aren't discussing that DirecTV now owns HBO? That seems to me to be the more likely link in the chain for fucking with HBO. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

1 hour ago, dditty said:

How come more people aren't discussing that DirecTV now owns HBO? That seems to me to be the more likely link in the chain for fucking with HBO. 

Because DirecTV doesn't own HBO... instead, ATT own BOTH of them...  ATT is probably the most cynical and evil company on the face of the planet today.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

19 hours ago, Arri said:

The price of something is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for. If AT&T believes Time Warner is worth $80 billion dollars, then it is worth $80 billion dollars. 

4 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

That's the buyers problem. It actually IS how it is supoosed to be.

You are SUPPOSED to sell at the price that people WANT to buy it.

Oh from an economics theroy point of view I totally get it. The stuff is worth whatever the people are willing to pay for.

But they pay over 100 billions if you include the debts, what is >10k$ for every single person on earth. They just value this stuff way to high. Giving a fiew individuals the power to shift so much money / recourses alway bothered me.

When they are successful they will have the porfit for theier own, but when the fail the every singe employee and ofthe also the taxpayers have to compensate.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

AT&T is like "Only $200 billion in debt...hmmm, no big deal. Put it on my credit card."

I wonder how much of that money came from government subsidies. 

Who will win the "Game of Thrones"? It may just be AT&T.

The massively popular show, the HBO channel it runs on and a host of other entertainment properties including CNN, Cartoon Network and movie studios Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema -- all part of Time Warner -- will join the telecommunications giant as part of a $85.4 billion deal that ranks among the biggest acquisitions of all time.

AT&T confirmed it would acquire Time Warner in a half-stock, half-cash deal that values its shares at $107.50 apiece. The companies said they expect the transaction, which was buzzed about for the last three days, to be completed by the end of 2017.

On Friday, Time Warner's shares closed at $89.48 each, while AT&T's closed at $37.49.

The deal marks the next step in an audacious plan by AT&T to control several key aspects of your life. With Time Warner in the fold, AT&T could theoretically serve you wireless and home internet service through its traditional business, deliver satellite TV via DirecTV and produce many of the television shows and films you watch.

"We can deliver a very different experience for our customers," AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in a conference call with reporters.

For Time Warner, the deal answers the pressures that media companies have felt to consolidate. Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox had previously sought to buy Time Warner two years ago. CEO Jeff Bewkes said on the same call that AT&T gives his business extra heft to change how video is distributed.

"This will supercharge our creative abilities," he said.

But consumer advocates warn that the deal could lead to higher prices down the line. Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) said the proposed deal raises "immediate flags" about consolidation in the market.

The combination of a service provider and a media company brings to mind Comcast's acquisition of a controlling stake in NBC Universal in 2011 (it completed the takeover two years later). Comcast may have been in mind when these two companies started talking.

A hit to your wallet?

Not everyone is enamored with the deal. Critics were out early, issuing statements before the official word arrived. Most expressed concern about the further concentration of power in the media business, with AT&T both controlling the production and distribution of entertainment.

"As the (Federal Communications Commission) has found in past mergers, combining valuable content with pay-TV distribution causes harm to consumers and competition in the pay-TV market," Matthew Polka, CEO of the American Cable Association, said in a statement Saturday.

Others warned that these types of deals could have a real impact on your cable bill.

"Any time you hear media executives talking about synergies, throwing around the business-babble that always accompanies these rumors, you know it's time to grab your wallet and hang on tight," said Matt Wood, policy director for consumer advocacy group Free Press.

AT&T will have a lot to juggle. Beyond DirecTV and Time Warner, the company has invested more than $4 billion combined to buy Nextel Mexico and Iusacell to expand its wireless service south of the border.

It's also unclear whether regulators will like the deal. One of AT&T's biggest flops was the failed takeover of rival T-Mobile, which hit a wall with regulators. Republican nominee Donald Trump said Saturday that he would kill the AT&T-Time Warner merger if he were president.

Stephenson dismissed any concern that the deal would fall through, noting "this is not the T-Mobile deal."

"No competitor will be removed from the marketplace with this deal," he said on a call, noting that two similar companies aren't combining.

The US government also heavily scrutinized the Comcast-NBC Universal merger, but it ultimately approved that deal.

AT&T can only hope regulators give it the same nod.

First published October 22, 4:51 p.m. PT.
Update, 5:53 p.m.:Adds comments from the CEOs of AT&T and Time Warner.

Article from CNET: https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-buys-time-warner-in-media-shaking-85-4b-deal/

Will it make TWC (Time Warner Cable) better then? I hope my HBO Go subscription won't be more expensive after the merger.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

RIP Net Neurality

Anyone checked to see where AT&T is on Clinton's donor list lately?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.