Thermaltake Introduce its Sandia-inspired Low-Profile CPU Cooler

The Sandia CPU cooler was a concept from 2011, but today Thermaltake launched the Engine 27, a low-profile CPU cooler with the heatsink-propeller design.

30a.jpg30d.jpg

the Engine 27's design involves a metal heatsink base that makes contact with the CPU, which conveys heat to a motorized fan-shaped moving heatsink suspended along an axle and conductive lubricant.

30e.jpgpic2.jpg

The Thermaltake Engine 27 derives its name from its 27 mm height (meets 1U spec).  Noise output figures of 13-25 dBA, depending on its speed range of 1500-2500 RPM. Measuring 27 mm x 91.5 mm x 91.5 mm (HxWxD), the cooler weighs about 310 g, and supports LGA115x sockets (LGA1156/LGA1155/LGA1151/LGA1150).

The fan supports 4-pin PWM power input. Price of the product is still unknown.

Source:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002957

https://www.techpowerup.com/226614/thermaltake-intros-its-sandia-inspired-engine-27-1u-low-profile-cpu-cooler

I bet this won't be cheap since the fan is CNC'd, but cool nonetheless. I might have to be an early adopter.

Edit: and I know it might not be that good since it's first-gen, but I just like obscure innovative stuff.

I'm not going to lie, it looks really cool (no pun intended). But I'm wondering how well it'll keep the CPU cool with it being so little mass, as well as it being a first gen product. Nonetheless I am excited to see benchmarks.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I wonder how they keep the tolerances tight enough for heat transfer from the heatsink to the "fan" portion of it. My guess is some sort of TIM.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

it looks cool and the previous concept seemed to work, but I can't stop wondering how it works when mounted side ways like most cpu fans would be.
I never saw this type being orientated along the vertical axis.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

ugh finally i've been waiting for one of these coolers for years and gave up on them

24 minutes ago, skyler_mertz said:

I wonder how they keep the tolerances tight enough for heat transfer from the heatsink to the "fan" portion of it. My guess is some sort of TIM.

TIM would make it stop working :P (inbetween the 'fan' and the base) the fan rides on an air bearing and the gap between the fins on the bottom of the fan and the fins on the base is so small it can transfer heat energy without losing so much energy.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

If this can be 1 degree cooler than the Le Grande Macho RT and as quiet - I will choose this, only because of ram compatibility and this looks freakin' incredible.

we need an LTT review

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I might look into putting one of these into my media pc.

A LGA 2011-v3 compatible version would be nice.

look how hot everything else is. This is why tower designs are good as you blow air directly out of the case.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, skyler_mertz said:

According to the OP:

3 hours ago, ahhming said:

the Engine 27's design involves a metal heatsink base that makes contact with the CPU, which conveys heat to a motorized fan-shaped moving heatsink suspended along an axle and conductive lubricant.

Anyway, PWM? What would be really cool id for the thing to spin power-less, based on convection :P 

This is really exciting, but it's only rated for 70W so it's really only for low power setups. 

13 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Good luck stopping that one with your finger. 

Your finger is the least of your problem: you've got heavy metal blades spinning at 2800 RPM inside a case protected by a flimsy acrylic piece: you've got yourself a fucking grenade with shrapnel ready to wreck your pc and yourself.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Your finger is the least of your problem: you've got heavy metal blades spinning at 2800 RPM inside a case protected by a flimsy acrylic piece: you've got yourself a fucking grenade with shrapnel ready to wreck your pc and yourself.

A grenade made by thermalfake ;)

I'm glad SOMEONE is doing something with this... I'm a little disappointed it's Tt though

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Wonder how this will do against the Zalman CNPS2X, I feel 70W of heat dissipation isnt that awe-inspiring compared to the 120W from the CNPS2X.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Then this may be the perfect time to wrap your pc in bubble wrap.  

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

I bet this won't be cheap since the fan is CNC'd, but cool nonetheless. I might have to be an early adopter.

Edit: and I know it might not be that good since it's first-gen, but I just like obscure innovative stuff.

this thing SCREAMS mITX

Oh yes! Finally. Was really interested in the original one. Was actually looking at their page not too long ago... anyone know what happened, did they just sell the patent, or was there none?  

Glad to see it's here regardless.

Also, 70w isn't too shabby!! as non-passive thing.  Noctua's 1u cooler is ~95w :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?