Comcast says: "Pay us more for privacy"

Lurick

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Says-It-Wants-to-Charge-Broadband-Users-More-For-Privacy-137567

Comcast this week informed the FCC that it should be able to charge broadband users looking to protect their privacy more money. The FCC has been crafting some new privacy rules for broadband that would force ISPs to disclose exactly what they're collecting and selling, while also providing working opt-out tools. But the FCC also wants to take aim at efforts by some ISPs to make privacy a premium option. AT&T, for example, charges its U-verse broadband customers significantly more if they want to opt out of snoopvertising.

Basically it comes down to Comcast telling the world to shove off and they'll sell any of your data they collect through monitoring your internet connection unless you pay them more money.

While not surprising in the least, I'm sure a lot of people will not be too happy when they learn they have to pay more to keep their data private.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That seems borderline illegal for some reason...

edit: ah I just figured it out; it reminds me of extortion.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Protip: Use a VPN.

Your ISP will see nothing but encrypted HTTPS traffic to the VPN’s entry node. ;)

Depending on the server and the service you use, your speeds may be reduced significantly.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

5 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Protip: Use a VPN.

Your ISP will see nothing but encrypted HTTPS traffic to the VPN’s entry node. ;)

they implement supercookies

vpns wont protect u

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's a protection racket. "The minute you stop paying me I will give your data to all the companies".

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

How I would love to truly organise the masses and have people turn around and give Comcast the finger by signing upto another service provider

1 minute ago, AlexTheRose said:

Isn’t that what the mob was famous for doing? xD

I tagged it as funny, but you're right

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Says-It-Wants-to-Charge-Broadband-Users-More-For-Privacy-137567

Basically it comes down to Comcast telling the world to shove off and they'll sell any of your data they collect through monitoring your internet connection unless you pay them more money.

While not surprising in the least, I'm sure a lot of people will not be too happy when they learn they have to pay more to keep their data private.

private internet access, or another vpn. Problem solved :P

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nope. You pay for a private service under a given contract. Comcast has every right to sell information it collects via its service. The only reason it shouldn't be able to is if it is contractually obligated not to. And this isn't extortion. Comcast can either make the money from advertising companies or from you. It's your choice. At least Comcast is giving you a choice.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nope. You pay for a private service under a given contract. Comcast has every right to sell information it collects via its service. The only reason it shouldn't be able to is if it is contractually obligated not to. And this isn't extortion. Comcast can either make the money from advertising companies or from you. It's your choice. At least Comcast is giving you a choice.

Fair enough if it's not illegal, but I'm not sure if I feel this is the way Comcast should be going with this.

Then again, if you can make money off of it, why the fuck not.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fair enough if it's not illegal, but I'm not sure if I feel this is the way Comcast should be going with this.

Then again, if you can make money off of it, why the fuck not.

Like I said, at least Comcast is GIVING you a choice. TWC, Charter, and others do not.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It is what it is...

Comcast are admitting in a round-about way that part of their business model includes selling data used for targeted advertising and statistics. One would think there would be a way to keep that data anonymous, which is probably what Comcast's offer entails: pay us more money, we still track your usage but it gets tossed into a separate pile. Not necessarily valuable data for direct targeted advertising, but still useful for general statistics and location marketing. Besides, once you track someone long enough, you can tell its them by looking for their patterns in the anonymous data. Maybe personal data isn't selling like it used to.

I'm not saying this is how Comcast got so big in the first place, by selling data and using that money to buy up other ISP's and undercut rates at the same time...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

26 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Comcast has every right to sell information it collects via its service. 

Indeed it does.

Congress, needs to correct this. Comcast should require your express, written consent. Not an "I agree" to a 1000000000000 page EULA, but rather them asking you directly "can we sell your information?" with you being able to say "no", and them still having to provide you with service.

Sadly, Comcast pays congress too well, and this will not happen.

We seriously need a revolution at this point. The current spat over presidential candidates is MORE than enough evidence of that. We need to completely clean house in congress, BAN corporations, and those who own corporations, from making political "donations", and re-elect entirely new "representatives"

I didn't say violent revolution mind you, technically the presidential, and congressional elections are revolutions in their own right. That's one of the points of democracy, bloodless revolutions.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Indeed it does.

Congress, needs to correct this. Comcast should require your express, written consent. Not an "I agree" to a 1000000000000 page EULA, but rather them asking you directly "can we sell your information?" with you being able to say "no", and them still having to provide you with service.

Sadly, Comcast pays congress too well, and this will not happen.

We seriously need a revolution at this point. The current spat over presidential candidates is MORE than enough evidence of that. We need to completely clean house in congress, BAN corporations, and those who own corporations, from making political "donations", and re-elect entirely new "representatives"

I didn't say violent revolution mind you, technically the presidential, and congressional elections are revolutions in their own right. That's one of the points of democracy, bloodless revolutions.

No it doesn't. The Constitution is meant to bind government, not private enterprise. You agreed to the EULA. It's your fault that you didn't read it all the way through. That's how contract law works.

Denying any person from being active in political discourse is itself an injustice. You can't ban people from donating to politics, and nor should you. What you should do, is forbid government from making laws which interfere with the free market, because the free market will produce the most efficient results which always equates with more job opportunities (if you're unfit for jobs in your area, get fit, or move).

"To not engage in politics is to risk being ruled by one's inferiors" -Plato/Aristotle (iirc)

Short of physical violence is there any practical difference between American ISPs and mafia run racketeering?

-"Oh I see you value your privacy. We have a small, rather symbolic fee for that. After all it would be a shame if any...accidental...leaks were to happen"

-------

Current Rig

-------

And I'm sure that even if you do pay them more not to spy on you, they still do it anyway, because you have no real way of knowing if they do so or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Is it illegal now? No

Should it be? Obviously.

Also I'm so tired of seeing isps pulling the poor us stint. It's total bullshit and everyone knows it.

Besides isps in the US by and large aren't even trying to reinvest in infrastructure. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

we miss you in skype ryan :|

Also, this is in the US.... where breaking laws are fine aslong as you can bribe some federal instance to look the other way.

Comcast and other ISPs really seem to be probing the FCC. They keep testing the waters to see what they can get away with, especially with the rulings from last year.

6 hours ago, Cela1 said:

I do not wish to live in a world where privacy is a premium for the rich.

Why is it always ISPs with this scandalous things going on? (And to anybody who replies "money" IK that)

money

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it doesn't. The Constitution is meant to bind government, not private enterprise. You agreed to the EULA. It's your fault that you didn't read it all the way through. That's how contract law works.

Denying any person from being active in political discourse is itself an injustice. You can't ban people from donating to politics, and nor should you. What you should do, is forbid government from making laws which interfere with the free market, because the free market will produce the most efficient results which always equates with more job opportunities (if you're unfit for jobs in your area, get fit, or move).

"To not engage in politics is to risk being ruled by one's inferiors" -Plato/Aristotle (iirc)

I agree on both your accounts about reading the EULA and barring people, regardless of their personal well-being, from the election cycle is inherently wrong. The voting process in America is structured such that each person, regardless of their assets, gets one vote. I believe the reasoning behind this was to make everyone equal in the election process. 

It is not morally correct for one person to be less powerful than the next when voting just because they have a lot of money. On the flip side, it is also not morally correct for a voter to be more powerful than the next guy within an election because of money. Companies can't vote, therefore donating to a political candidate through a corporation or otherwise non-voting entity should be strictly illegal. On the flip side I believe individuals should be allowed to donate however much money they feel like donating, restricting someone from contributing to a campaign is wrong, and if that individual feels like donating $10,000,000 to a campaign they should have the right to do so. 

EDIT: I recognize 1:"it is also not morally correct for a voter to be more powerful than the next guy within an election because of money." and 2:"...if that individual feels like donating $10,000,000 to a campaign they should have the right to do so." seem conflicting, but the logic behind those 2 statements is as follows:

1: Indivduals that hold sway within a company should not be able to donate to any candidates through said company. I didn't make it clear that I was referring to the corporate assets said individual influences. I hope this edit clears that up.

2: It's just like it sounds. Seriously, if you donate $10,000,000 as an individual than people are going to look into it. If something sketchy is going on it will be brought to light. Otherwise it wouldn't usually make sense to donate that much, but whatever. It should still be that individual's right.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX