US Customs might look your online pressence before allowing you over the border? What!

AlTech

If you want to enter the United States of America anytime soon, you will probably be asked for your online social media display names/user names by US Customs and Border Patrol.

This has yet to be voted on but it is likely to be implemented. It will be optional to write this down if passed

Your Twitter handle may soon be part of the US visa process. Yesterday, US Customs and Border Protection entered a new proposal into the federal register, suggesting a new field in which persons entering the country can declare their various social media accounts and screen names. The information wouldn’t be mandatory, but the proposed field would still provide customs officials with an unprecedented window into the online life of travelers. The process already includes fingerprinting, an in-person interview, and numerous database checks.

The proposal focuses on arrival / departure forms commonly collected from non-citizens at the US border, as well as the electronic form used for anyone entering the country under a visa waiver. Under the proposed changes, those forms would include a new optional data field prompting visitors to "please enter information associated with your online presence," followed by open fields for specific platforms and screen names.

It’s unclear from the proposal how thoroughly officials will examine the social profiles, although it’s clear they will be used for investigative purposes. "Collecting social media data will enhance the existing investigative process and provide DHS greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections," the announcement reads.

The public has 60 days to comment on the new proposal before it will be formally considered. Comments can be mailed to Customs and Border Protection at its Washington office.

Immigration and intelligence agencies have been under increasing pressure to scrutinize social media profiles after the San Bernardino shooting in December of last year.

This looks like way too much info for them....... Why do we have to sacrifice privacy for this shit?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12026364/us-customs-border-patrol-online-account-twitter-facebook-instagram

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Too bad I don't use twitter or Faceboo anymore. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Given it wont initially be mandatory, plus the ease of setting up multiple and/or fake accounts, I find it hard to believe they will get any value out of this. It sounds more like someone thought it was an idea to look good, rather than actually doing anything useful.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Um sirs...With all due respect. Take it from a frequent US tourist. Do you have any idea of how many people cross your borders daily?

618122_puente-internacional-reynosa-tama

This is a good day. 2 to 3 hours of queue is kind of the norm on busy days during peak hours. 7 to 8 hours of queue is not unheard of. Your plan, is to ask each and every one of this cars for 2 to 4 logins per person......

This would be 1000x more effective than the wall the car lines on the borders would reach Guatemala motherfucker!

-------

Current Rig

-------

and you guys laughed at China with their score system

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I haven't access my social media accounts for years. Don't really need it anymore.

Since it is just optional, I don't see the big problem. They also cannot force it since I know some people doesn't use Facebook or Twitter, etc

Good thing the only account I have that's worth looking at is Steam.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Someone needs to be fired for making this proposal. Do they understand that it's completely possible to make fake accounts? Or that not everyone has social media accounts? I'm baffled by their level of stupidity.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Someone needs to be fired for making this proposal. Do they understand that it's completely possible to make fake accounts? Or that not everyone has social media accounts? I'm baffled by their level of stupidity.

Name on ID is Bob. Name on Social Media is Fred. LOL!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

19 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Name on ID is Bob. Name on Social Media is Fred. LOL!

Well you do have people that use pseudonyms/fake names online. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Well you do have people that use pseudonyms/fake names online. 

Yeah, I just found it funny that people use fake names. Or they changed it legally.

But it isn't applicable to people who are citizens of the US entering or leaving the US?

I kinda get why but privacy settings exist, unless they're doing some shady shit.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

57 minutes ago, porina said:

Given it wont initially be mandatory, plus the ease of setting up multiple and/or fake accounts, I find it hard to believe they will get any value out of this. It sounds more like someone thought it was an idea to look good, rather than actually doing anything useful.

Most information on personal accounts can be hidden anyways, unless they're delving that far into the investigation. This seems largely a waste of time, and as you said, it's not mandatory right now. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

41 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Or that they can simply hide all their information and activity, except to Friends?

Yes, I capitalized "friends." Used to distinguish between real friends and Facebook Friends, which are not the same.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ahem.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's not that i disagree with the belief that we need stronger border security, it's just that we can do better. This would be a waste of time and resources, what's to stop someone from simply lying?

"Oh no, sir, i've never used th- what was it you called it? The tweeter? the phasebook? I'm an old egg haha"

"If you ain't first, you're last"

I don't know how is this unusual. And I don't know why are they mentioning it other than asking for your online alias that can differ from your name.

When you are looking for a job most companies would look into your facebook and linkedin as well. Anyone can look anyone in facebook. If you are crazy enough to do silly things that might affect your future in a big way and even stupid enough to document it online I have no objections of authorities busting your arse.

9 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

It's not that i disagree with the belief that we need stronger border security, it's just that we can do better. This would be a waste of time and resources, what's to stop someone from simply lying?

That's where science, and more specifically psychological research comes in. 

I have next to nothing associated with my name online. Which, combined with the fact I share my name with someone from history, would make this sort of thing kind of funny...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Wow, just wow. Such idiocy. Will they force this later on? It will pass if dumb mass just accepts it with idiotic attitude.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I guess you have to do something to deter all those pesky tourists, performing such antisocial acts as spending money. 

well time to change my twitter handle (@d3vilindisguise).

This is so annoying I do have social media accoutn but I barely use them, my facebook account is opened just for university news and group posts and my twitter account exists just for gleam.io giveaways.

Joke's on them, I don't use facebook or twitter and in the sites that I DO use I don't use my real name, so they can't know it's me. I wonder how they can check if someone truly does not have an account or isn't telling them the truth.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*