Microsoft bringing its games on Steam

GoodBytes

Microsoft's  Phil Spencer announces that its games, and E3 announced games that was marked to be coming to Windows 10 (so, pretty much, all of them), will be available on Steam.

Phil Spencer, head of the Xbox team at Microsoft, was talking on Giant Bomb's E3 stream, via GameSpot. When it comes to PC gaming, the Windows Store is very much an also-ran, with Steam the dominant force. As Spencer noted, "I don't think Valve's hurt by not having [Microsoft's] first-party games in their store right now. They're doing incredibly well." Accordingly, Spencer said that Microsoft "will ship games on Steam again."

For those who don't like Steam, the games will still be available in the Windows Store. V-Sync support is now here for Windows Store games, same for allowing easier time in supporting multiple GPU. Microsoft continues to work lifting the restrictions of Universal Apps to allow PC games to be full features. For example, Insiders have the ability to pick which drive to install a game or app if it is very large. This means, that the coming the Anniversary Update of Windows 10, will have this ability. However, some of these restriction that needs to be surmounted, required big changes big changes to the framework, and as such, will take time. So mod support will take time before it arrives,

In the mean time, they will be soon released on Steam as the games comes out. So you can enjoy the great abilities of Steam delivered games right now (well, when they are added to Steam).

However, it isn't clear if all games will come on Steam, or only the new ones, or only some, or if there will be a delay where they release in the Windows Store first, and then Steam several weeks later or a few days later. We just don't know.  There is no official statement from Microsoft.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/microsoft-will-use-steam-to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/

Hopefully it comes true for all games, with no time exclusivity. It is understandable that Microsoft gets to do what it wants with its own game it publishes, and it is nice to see that Microsoft ACTUALLY cares about PC gaming, but it is clear that the Universal App Platform was not designed for big games, and it needs to be modified to allow such. It is nice to see that Microsoft understand the limitations that they are currently stuck with, and won't make is users suffer through them, and have another option, while the company work on lifting these restrictions.

If people don't like Steam then I doubt that they would get the game from the Windows Store in the first place.

But I agree with @Rune and I hope it is just Steam version.

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

I hope it is truly on STEAM and not a weird microsoft version of that uplay crap where you launch it in steam, then it opens uplay and then your game. Looking at you, Watchdogs.

Games for windows live. Prepare your butthole

Praise Duarte!

1 hour ago, Mauri said:

Well I'm gay so that doesn't bother me but uh okay. Sure. It's possible MS will take the Ubisoft approach to the games, but I too want them make it work like a normal Steam game.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I want a time frame ore than anything and no extra launcher. I'm ok with it connecting to the xbox app though if the game is cross play.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 minutes ago, Rune said:

I hope it is truly on STEAM and not a weird microsoft version of that uplay crap where you launch it in steam, then it opens uplay and then your game. Looking at you, Watchdogs.

That's whats gonna happen... That's what has to happen for the majority of the games to have good cross platform support.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Hmm... I'll wait and see if there's any caveats involved before getting excited. I like Steam very much. Windows Store not so.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

oh boy more beautiful lies

can't wait for the ms version of steam

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Yes, you will be able to run them over 60 fps.  They are only available on the Windows 10 store.  Quantum Break is only available there so I would assume the same

1 hour ago, Mauri said:

yeah, i still want to replay red river, those assholes...

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Hmmm probably a result of pressure from game developers who felt they were not selling enough copies.

There are technical benefits to moving away from windows store such as freesync, gsync, modding, crossfire/SLI , 3rd party overlays etc but I doubt that those are the main reason for the policy change.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

I'd assume if you want any of the cross-platform or any other UWP  features working properly through Steam, there'd have to be some portion of the Xbox App incorporated somehow.. I don't know though, I may be wrong

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Well I'm gay so that doesn't bother me but uh okay. Sure. It's possible MS will take the Ubisoft approach to the games, but I too want them make it work like a normal Steam game.

Guys calm down. At least it won't be battlelog... I swear I could fucking kill the person who thought battlelog was a good idea -_- 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

6 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Hmm... I'll wait and see if there's any caveats involved before getting excited. I like Steam very much. Windows Store not so.

I have to completely disagree. I like Windows Store very much and steam ............ not so much.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If they bring them to Steam but still make Windows 10 a requirement then don't fucking bother MS.

Microsoft said at E3, "XBox One and Windows 10 exclusive", so Windows 10 is what you need.

You can upgrade for free until July 29.

Forza Horizon 3 :D

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft said at E3, "XBox One and Windows 10 exclusive", so Windows 10 is what you need.

You can upgrade for free until July 29.

I won't: it's why I said don't bother. 

In fairness to your point and for the sake of argument, it would take a "killer" exclusive and such to bring me along to 10....I just haven't seen one coming from them lately. I've passed out of far better games than what they're announcing just because they were on consoles and while an OS upgrade is not as intrusive their games to me are that unimpressive currently.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Forza Horizon 3 :D

That will probably be UWP exclusive.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

That will probably be UWP exclusive.

oh well, i can still play it i guess

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

9 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

oh well, i can still play it i guess

Even if it doesn't it still requires Windows 10 so I don't see the big deal.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Even if it doesn't it still requires Windows 10 so I don't see the big deal.

i upgraded when i could and i like windows 10 so its not much of a problem, i agree

Spoiler