Microsoft bringing its games on Steam

GoodBytes

[My Opinion] 

Valve should hurry up and fucking die already. 

They started out as a great company, Gabe took huge risks with half life and pretty much redefined the entire industy overnight. If your not familiar with the HL story I suggest you go and read it because it's one of those "you couldn't make it up" stories. 

Despite what most people believe Steam was created as a way to patch HL & CS, nothing more. Gabe was aware that new patches could sometimes take weeks to reach people over dial up Internet so he created Steam to automatically handle the patching process, nothing more, Steam didn't even have a store. 

Roll on 12 years ago and Half Life 2. Steam was required to even launch HL2, something which at the time was an enormous change, I remember the outrage from HL fans from the fact that they HAD to install Steam to even play HL2. For the first time Steam also got a Store selling the back catalogue of Valve games and some upcoming Valve games which weren't out yet (TF2 & DODS). 

Move on another 12 months, EP1 is done and EP2 is in production but for the first time Steam starts selling third party titles. Remember at this point EP3 was in production, there was even leaks showing early game play. 

Then Gaben starts to realise just how much money he is making from Steam as a sales platform, the money makes him it's bitch and greed takes over. Within another 12 months literally any third party who was willing to sign up was selling on Steam, Valve had given up making games almost entirely and EP3 was scrapped. 

Valve then take to buying out other games and releasing them as Valve titles (Portal) just to appease fans, by this point game creation at Valve is a dream from a far away time and the software engineers are doing nothing more than patches and engine updates for existing titles. 

Valve then take a single largely positive step and start selling Indie titles on Steam. 

Next someone has the bright idea of selling cosmetic items on their second most popular game and shows gabe how he can double production from his cash cow. Within 12 months of the first hats appearing on TF2 gabe announces that his most popular game is getting an upgrade, this is presented as a positive thing for CSS players who've been asking for an update for years, in reality it's nothing more than a way of adding microtransactions to their most played game.  Oh yeah, Valve won't be doing the work either, they'll hand it over to another studio. Just as long as the money is going into gabes bank account. 

Next they do an experiment in single player microtransactions (Portal 2) which was a fantastic game and shows us all that Valve can still make great games but it fails to generate gabe any meaningful reoccurring income so it's scrapped as quickly as possible. 

With nothing new to present to us and fill his account up gabe looks at new ways to generate income and some genius has the bright idea of Steam Greenlight, a way of getting more games onto Steam ergo more money for the big cheese. I'll cover this scourge later. 

At this point in time someone inside Valve has amazing future sight because before MOBAs really exploded in popularity Valve go and buy out an old mod for Warcraft with the intention of doing a sequel. DOTA 2 is born and quickly becomes one of the most played titles on the planet, and let's not forget the, by now, essential microtransactions dumping more cash into gabes account. 

Steam Greenlight turns into a toxic cesspool of trolls and con artists and Steam turns into the platform which is single handedly responsible for dumping more shit and shovelware onto the market than all other platforms that have ever existed combined. Gabe sits back and watches his 30%s continue to accrue without doing anything to combat the fact he is destroying the reputation of Indie devs by allowing his platform to sell some of the worst "games" ever created entirety unchecked. 

And now we come to today, the status quo, the point where Valve don't make anything outside of Skins and hats, Greenlight continues to pollute the indie market (I wonder if they knew the thing they called green would end up being so toxic?) and Steam exists as a stale and stagnant fossil which refuses to innovate in any way, refuses to follow the law without someone actually suing them and probably spends more money each day on toilet paper for gabe to take his nuclear shits than they spend on customer support in an entire year. 

Valve is the epitome of money corrupting something which was once great. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 18 June 2016 at 4:30 AM, Rune said:

I hope it is truly on STEAM and not a weird microsoft version of that uplay crap where you launch it in steam, then it opens uplay and then your game. Looking at you, Watchdogs.

I'm 99% sure it'll be like uplay, this is Microsoft we're talking about here, you know the guys that forcibly installed windows 10 onto most pc's without asking the users if they want to upgrade.

Of course they're going to force users into using their glorified mobile app store so that they can maximise profits. They'll probably stick the indie titles on steam with a redeemable ms store code and put all the main first party titles (GoW, Halo, forza, etc) on the ms store, so they can get 100% of the profits.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

2 minutes ago, fojacko said:

I'm 99% sure it'll be like uplay, this is Microsoft we're talking about here, you know the guys that forcibly installed windows 10 onto most pc's without asking the users if they want to upgrade.

Of course they're going to force users into using their glorified mobile app store so that they can maximise profits. They'll probably stick the indie titles on steam with a redeemable ms store code and put all the main first party titles (GoW, Halo, forza, etc) on the ms store, so they can get 100% of the profits.

Not everybody loves steam.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

i dream of the full halo series to be on pc :) even if i gotta wait a year for the latest title im fine :) i had a xbone i sold it as i only turned it on for halo mcc playthrough with halo 5 (got it for free anyways) was just collecting dust . but i know it will never happen

EDIT 

yes id use windows store if it gave me this (laptop is on win 10 ) desktop is window 7 but with dx 12 i may go windows 10 (isnt dx 12 a win 10 feature ? )

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not everybody loves steam.

Not everybody loves Windows Store.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Not everybody loves Windows Store.

Not everybody loves monopolies.

1 hour ago, RNGesusHatesMe said:

i dream of the full halo series to be on pc :) even if i gotta wait a year for the latest title im fine :) i had a xbone i sold it as i only turned it on for halo mcc playthrough with halo 5 (got it for free anyways) was just collecting dust . but i know it will never happen

EDIT 

yes id use windows store if it gave me this (laptop is on win 10 ) desktop is window 7 but with dx 12 i may go windows 10 (isnt dx 12 a win 10 feature ? )

DX12 is a windows 10 exclusive

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not everybody loves monopolies.

you clearly do #doubleStandard 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

you clearly do #doubleStandard 

No I don't. Valve is the monopoly in the online gaming stores/platforms.

still not enough to get me to go full windows 10 (i only have 10 on the laptop as clevo left behind the win 7 support) and  the fact that i cbf installing the patch for the usb 3 drivers (only have 3.0 on laptop) that being said i got the newer tomb raider game from the store for 10 aud a week after thanks to micrsofot making a pricing error :)

i understand why they wont bring halo 5 and newer ones straight to pc (as that kills the halo box ) but dont get why not bring hte older ones :(

Good Lord! For real? Is the rumor I heard about Halo coming to PC true as well?!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Good Lord! For real? Is the rumor I heard about Halo coming to PC true as well?!

This is for real. But you'll still need Windows 10. You're just launching it from Steam.....

dont play with my feelings :( i was so happy back when halo 1 and 2 were on pc then died inside when they stopped bringing them out the modding community made the game multiplayer so damn amazing 

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No I don't. Valve is the monopoly in the online gaming stores/platforms.

Windows is a monopoly in the desktop space, which you clearly are a fangirling over it.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Windows is a monopoly in the desktop space, which you clearly are a fangirling over it.

1) I am not a girl.

2) I use the desktop OS which works the best for what I do

3) There's a lot of stupid stuff in Windows

4) Name one other OS which directly takes user feedback and acts upon it in the next version

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

1) I am not a girl.

4) Name one other OS which directly takes user feedback and acts upon it in the next version

linux master race :)  but even then u need windows for some things the day linux gets full game support im ditching windows :D

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

1) I am not a girl.

When he said "fangirling" he wasn't trying to say you were a girl. The word refers to the overreaction of hyperactive, obsessive female fans upon hearing or seeing something related to something they love to extremes—such as lacking the ability to logically think and be unbiased. Completely different to fanboying, really. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fangirling&defid=1517399

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

When he said "fangirling" he wasn't trying to say you were a girl. The word refers to the overreaction of hyperactive, obsessive female fans upon hearing or seeing something related to something they love to extremes—such as lacking the ability to logically think and be unbiased. Completely different to fanboying, really. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fangirling&defid=1517399

[Sarcasm]Well gee, sorry I am not into all the newest lingo [/sarcasm]

fan.JPG

I am not a fangirl in any way. I do think logically and am unbiased. If Microsoft makes a product which has flaws I'll be happy to point them out if I do a review of it.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

1) I am not a girl.

1) fangirling =/= being a girl and you know it, just acting ignorant for the sake of it 

2) And people uses the Store that works best for them, which is what makes steam so damn popular. But i digress, since it's not made or owned by MS, it shouldn't be popular, and people should give up on what they like a MS owned owned service that does similar things, just worst in every way compared to steam. right m8?

3) and you steam got MS deep in inside you, to the point where you defend all those flaws

4) Cause windows does? AH!

http://betanews.com/2015/08/15/microsoft-stands-accused-of-deleting-windows-10-insider-feedback-it-doesnt-like/

oh no wait, must be an anti windows site, spewing lies and fud for the sake of throwing dirt to the MS cult

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

1) fangirling =/= being a girl and you know it, just acting ignorant for the sake of it 

2) And people uses the Store that works best for them, which is what makes steam so damn popular. But i digress, since it's not made or owned by MS, it shouldn't be popular, and people should give up on what they like a MS owned owned service that does similar things, just worst in every way compared to steam. right m8?

3) and you steam got MS deep in inside you, to the point where you defend all those flaws

4) Cause windows does? AH!

http://betanews.com/2015/08/15/microsoft-stands-accused-of-deleting-windows-10-insider-feedback-it-doesnt-like/

oh no wait, must be an anti windows site, spewing lies and fud for the sake of throwing dirt to the MS cul

2) Steam would be better if it wasn't a shithole. I know I have a very unpopular opinion on Uplay but i'll say it anyway! UPlay isn't bad!

3)You know what? Edge sucks balls. it uses like 30% of my RAM and 50% of CPU usage! And makes my GPU unhappy.

4) IDK. All the feedback I get is received and not deleted......

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

2) Steam would be better if it wasn't a shithole. I know I have a very unpopular opinion on Uplay but i'll say it anyway! UPlay isn't bad!

3)You know what? Edge sucks balls. it uses like 30% of my RAM and 50% of CPU usage! And makes my GPU unhappy.

4) IDK. All the feedback I get is received and not deleted......

define: shithole

what happened? you sounded so eager 3 months ago. Did my calling out of your double standard change your mind?

and yet here's a report about the most voted user feedback being deleted cause MS really does listen so much to their users feedback. Most voted, the things majority of people really want, no fucks given by ms -> gets deleted

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

what happened? you sounded so eager not 3 months ago. Did my calling out of your double standard change your mind?

and yet here's a report about the most voted user feedback being deleted cause MS really does listen so much to their users feedback. Most voted, the things majority of people really want, no fucks given by ms -> gets deleted

No, 3 months ago it wasn't nearly as bad as a performance hog.

It now is as bad as chrome in this regard.

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

what happened? you sounded so eager 3 months ago. Did my calling out of your double standard change your mind?

Dont waste your time, you cant convince a #msfanboy...

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Dont waste your time, you cant convince a #msfanboy...

yeah... i should have figured since the w10 preview days 

9 hours ago, Humbug said:

Good old days were terrible from what I remember. Losing game discs, scratching game discs, losing cd-keys. Managing updates and patches was a nightmare. Trying to secure a copy of an old game no longer on shelves was a pain. Those drm schemes were a pain in the ass (remember having to insert disc to play). Life is infinitely better now for PC gamers thanks to steam, origin, gog etc. I used to pirate games extensively in the old days as it was the only practical option.

I don't know what you do with your game discs, and perhaps it might be best no one knows, but it isn't a problem with game console. And the game doesn't need the disc as we have plenty of drive space. Back then it was more for accessing the music, or game videos. Now full disk installs can be made. And the DRM scheme you speak off, that was after from what I am talking about. This is where big publishers were formed, and the days that the only thing they cared is that you buy the game, the moment you give them money, then toss you on at the bin and don't care. But not all games where like this.

oh my god does that mean i can be able to play forza apex without damn restrictions? that's the one fucking thing i hate about windows store. they police the system requirements so damn much. i undershoot even the minimum system requirements for gta v but its still playable on low settings. windows store should allow me to play damn forza apex.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D