Microsoft bringing its games on Steam

GoodBytes
43 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

i upgraded when i could and i like windows 10 so its not much of a problem, i agree

Windows 10 is a great OS. It's not perfect but no OS is.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I won't: it's why I said don't bother. 

In fairness to your point and for the sake of argument, it would take a "killer" exclusive and such to bring me along to 10....I just haven't seen one coming from them lately. I've passed out of far better games than what they're announcing just because they were on consoles and while an OS upgrade is not as intrusive their games to me are that unimpressive currently.

Agreed. It's kind of sad really, there's quite a few games on the horizon that aren't being made by Sony or M$, that I am more excited for than anything either of those companies are offering, the only real exception being that Zombie survival game that Sony showed at E3 (Days Gone). Sadly that's an exclusive.

I hope that M$ is putting a LOT of work into State of Decay 2, because that might actually convince me to "upgrade" once I build a rig for Linux for general usage. Then use my current rig for Gaming only.

Until M$ gives back the ability to selectively install updates, and removes the telemetry for marketing purposes, I will not be using their OS for general usage (browsing the web, making online purchases, etc.) I am not a product to be sold, and I am not going to be in a situation where I have to choose between not installing a security update (and thus being unsecure), or letting M$ stick its head in my shower and stare at me.

Not to mention fighting with them constantly as their "security updates" try to disable any workarounds that prevent them from spying.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Agreed. It's kind of sad really, there's quite a few games on the horizon that aren't being made by Sony or M$, that I am more excited for than anything either of those companies are offering, the only real exception being that Zombie survival game that Sony showed at E3 (Days Gone). Sadly that's an exclusive.

I hope that M$ is putting a LOT of work into Dying Light 2, because that might actually convince me to "upgrade" once I build a rig for Linux for general usage. Then use my current rig for Gaming only.

Until M$ gives back the ability to selectively install updates, and removes the telemetry for marketing purposes, I will not be using their OS. for general usage (browsing the web, making online purchases, etc.) I am not a product to be sold, and I am not going to be in a situation where I have to choose between not installing a security update (and thus being unsecure), or letting M$ stick its head in my shower and stare at me.

I'm sure you can find an over abundance, to the point of rather rapid saturation, of Zombie survival games though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm sure you can find an over abundance, to the point of rather rapid saturation, of Zombie survival games though.

You can, but none that are as good. Most are terrible.

DayZ is still terrible and using a terrible engine, Dying Light is just....missing something, etc. State of Decay was great despite the occasional bugs and lack of mod support (it could be modded, but it's terribly buggy). Days Gone looks freaking spectacular, but it's for PS4 only, and thus I won't be able to play it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Soon is relative term,  soon could mean months away,  Phil is the last guy in the universe that I would believe. I highly doubt MS is just gonna release games on steam after trying to shove win 10 down people throughts for the last year.  Seems to be just saying yes for the sake of good PR nothing more. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft's  Phil Spencer announces that its games, and E3 announced games that was marked to be coming to Windows 10 (so, pretty much, all of them), will be available on Steam.

The source you provided doesn't say anything about what games Microsoft will be bringing to Steam (and when). I don't know how you can claim that all the games Microsoft announced as Windows 10 exclusives at E3 will be coming to Steam. 

The article leaves me with more questions than answers.

Will they still be in the UWP format?

Will it, therefore, always require Windows 10 when played through Steam?

Will it be "multilayer DRM" a la Ubisoft games which launch uPlay through Steam?

As the article ponders, will it be select games or timed exclusivity, or just a general pro-consumer move of giving us all more choice?

I will say that in general I'm happy about this. Back when the Xbox One was gearing up to launch, Microsoft had taken a rather strong anti-consumer stance. They seem to be closer to pulling a 180 on that. Most of the stuff coming out of their E3 was very positive. As far as this year goes, I'm pretty interested in Forza Horizon 3 and Halo Wars 2 as games go. But I will not be getting an Xbox One at all. If those titles show up on Steam, that increases their odds of getting my money exponentially. In the latter case it's heartening that Halo Wars is being developed by Creative Assembly, because they develop and push most (Total War) of their games onto Steam.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

2 hours ago, Commander Llama said:

The article leaves me with more questions than answers.

Will they still be in the UWP format?

Will it, therefore, always require Windows 10 when played through Steam?

Will it be "multilayer DRM" a la Ubisoft games which launch uPlay through Steam?

As the article ponders, will it be select games or timed exclusivity, or just a general pro-consumer move of giving us all more choice?

I will say that in general I'm happy about this. Back when the Xbox One was gearing up to launch, Microsoft had taken a rather strong anti-consumer stance. They seem to be closer to pulling a 180 on that. Most of the stuff coming out of their E3 was very positive. As far as this year goes, I'm pretty interested in Forza Horizon 3 and Halo Wars 2 as games go. But I will not be getting an Xbox One at all. If those titles show up on Steam, that increases their odds of getting my money exponentially. In the latter case it's heartening that Halo Wars is being developed by Creative Assembly, because they develop and push most (Total War) of their games onto Steam.

1- We don't know. It is possible to install UWP software like you can with normal desktop software. It has it's own setup system.

2- Windows 10 can be checked via an API call. The game might work with other version of Windows (and probably will), but they can block it with an if condition statement with an API call on the current OS, and top it off with a system file check that only Windows 10 has. Then they can define the requirements with Steam, so Steam says it isn't for your system as you don't meet the minimum system requirements, just to add another layer.

3- For the multiplayer, we don't know, but Microsoft doesn't have one... so I assume no. It will probably be using the game servers for XBox One interplay, and I doubt most devs would be open to handle dedicated servers, even if it is PC only. It cost them money (as you need to develop the infrastructure in the software for it), and support (documentation, and tools for someone to set it up with ease).

4- We don't know. It can be 1 game, or most games announced, have a time exclusive, or not. If there is a time exclusive, I doubt it will pass 1 month. Probably be 1-2 weeks. Assuming it is 1-2 weeks, that is fine, plenty of time for waiting and reading reviews of the game and really see if the game is worth your money or not.

5- I fully agree. The new direction that Microsoft is going under the new CEO is, in my opinion, miles better it was under Ballmer. The company has obviously a lot of prove, clean up years of bad image. It isn't perfect yet, has a lot of work to be done for sure, but good to see a change for the better.

I think the XBox One really highlight this. From a console that started to be this totally locked down system, and took a massive outcry from people to have the company change direction, but still have things locked, including it's design, with no PC support for the game controller using a proprietary technology to ensure that it won't work, to, since the new CEO, be open to PC space, and tried to fix the bad decision done on the console with the wireless adapter (which also, unlike the XBox 360 one, you only need 1 for up to 8 controllers, and not 1 per controller like the XBox 360), and now with the new updated XBox One controller, specifically support Bluetooth in it, for easy PC support without the need of anything (assuming your PC has Bluetooth, and if it doesn't, you can't get one for a few dollars as you buy the controller).

I doubt there will be Halo game coming to PC... that I think Microsoft will keep XBox exclusive, as I assume they need something. But I think that Microsoft is realizing, at least for the XBox, that being anti-consumer, and locking things done, provides 0 benefits. Most PC gamers won't get an XBox One in any case. Even if they do, they'll have a limited library, and insufficient to make money from the console (either to pay back the console as it was sold at a loss, OR actually make an interesting amount of money). And then, XBox players aren't affected by this, because many people like the simplicity of a game console. A small entertainment box, that has all they need, connects to the TV, small to fit under their TV, and looks pretty nice for a living room, and don't have to worry about complications, in their eyes, in building a custom computer, or shop around for a pre-build and pay a premium price, and not get the best for their money, and games are ready to be played once inserted (and updated, these days), and not have to fiddle with the settings for hours. They know that most games will perform well on the system, be playable, and be smooth, and not have fps fluctuating all over the place, because they enabled something in the graphics setting that is too intensive for the game without really understanding what it does, and how it works.

i think all game should be able to be bought and played on steam. i bought assassins creed 3 but i dont play it becase you still need Uplay and i really dont want to use Uplay.

or ATLEAST all games you buy on stream should be able to be ran through stream.

5 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

i think all game should be able to be bought and played on steam. i bought assassins creed 3 but i dont play it becase you still need Uplay and i really dont want to use Uplay.

I think all games should be bought independently of any store system without or limited DRM, like the good old days.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I think all games should be bought independently of any store system without DRM, like the good old days.

eh i dont care about DRM, doesn't bother me one bit, and there is GOG for that.

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

eh i dont care about DRM, doesn't bother me one bit, and there is GOG for that.

DRM should bother you. The day Valve will close, you'll quickly change that mind set. In addition, you can't resale or transfer your game to someone else, something that you can benefit from.

I am aware of GOG, and use it. But not all games are there, and hence "I think all games should..."

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

DRM should bother you. The day Valve will close, you'll quickly change that mind set. In addition, you can't resale or transfer your game to someone else, something that you can benefit from.

I am aware of GOG, and use it. But not all games are there, and hence "I think all games should..."

by the time vavle closes ill be dead, and well there's "other" ways to get games with no DRM if you know what i mean, so valve closes then just use the "other" option, but that does pose security risks with your system.

40 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

For your first point: That's an incredibly anti-consumer and undesirable attitude. You're essentially saying "Hey everyone! Let's hand Valve a Monopoly!" God knows they're too close for comfort to one as it is.

Just imagine if there was no Origin to introduce buyer protections and a refund mechanic for digital game sales. It took that and Valve getting sued multiple times for them to finally fall in line. Imagine how much longer it would have taken if Origin hadn't pioneered that area? And that's just one example of Valve sitting on their asses because of a lack of solid competition.

As for your second point: I do agree - but in 99% of cases, you can add a non-Steam game to Steam. As long as it has an EXE you can point to, you can add it to steam and launch it. That means any GOG title is for sure steam compatible.

Games that run on other platforms though? Depends on the platform - some do have direct EXE files, others do not.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

For your first point: That's an incredibly anti-consumer and undesirable attitude. You're essentially saying "Hey everyone! Let's hand Valve a Monopoly!" God knows they're too close for comfort to one as it is.

Just imagine if there was no Origin to introduce buyer protections and a refund mechanic for digital game sales. It took that and Valve getting sued multiple times for them to finally fall in line. Imagine how much longer it would have taken if Origin hadn't pioneered that area? And that's just one example of Valve sitting on their asses because of a lack of solid competition.

As for your second point: I do agree - but in 99% of cases, you can add a non-Steam game to Steam. As long as it has an EXE you can point to, you can add it to steam and launch it. That means any GOG title is for sure steam compatible.

Games that run on other platforms though? Depends on the platform - some do have direct EXE files, others do not.

cant refund any games i have in the first place so idc about that, and yes you can add a non steam game but idc about that, its that if you buy a game by ubisoft for example you have to install and use Uplay to play it, but you bought it on steam, so you should be able to just press play on steam and have it run not press play and have it bring up uplay, if thats the case then dont sell it on steam sell it on Uplay only. or say youll need Uplay to play it big on the page so you see it no matter what so i know not to buy the game.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have to completely disagree. I like Windows Store very much and steam ............ not so much.

That's fine. Everybody likes different things. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I'm in an awkward Situation. I wish I used GOG (and I really want to) but none of my friends use it and most games I play  aren't on it.

And by the way, in the extremely unlikely and next to impossible event where Valve goes out of business, they will allow you to download all your games to a HDD and keep them.

And DRM with the Windows Store is fine, we just need family sharing stuff added like Apple did with their stores.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well that's good. They need to continue making UWA more supportive. What they've done is good start now just need to go that path.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The day Valve will close, you'll quickly change that mind set.

Yes, all we have on this subject is a statement from Gabe Newell where he said that measures are already in place to ensure that people will not lose access to their games in the event of Valve shutting down. Some gaming or tech website needs to do a good piece of investigative journalism where they get some interviews with Valve and find out what the exact disaster recovery mechanism is and publish the info as a public service. Then we can decide if it's adequate and rest easy, or else we can pressure Valve and publishers to do more.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I think all games should be bought independently of any store system without or limited DRM, like the good old days.

Good old days were terrible from what I remember. Losing game discs, scratching game discs, losing cd-keys. Managing updates and patches was a nightmare. Trying to secure a copy of an old game no longer on shelves was a pain. Those drm schemes were a pain in the ass (remember having to insert disc to play). Life is infinitely better now for PC gamers thanks to steam, origin, gog etc. I used to pirate games extensively in the old days as it was the only practical option.

With regard to not relying on one store I agree and think it' s largely a question of game developers managing their keys. I had a very good experience where I am able to freely transfer my Mass Effect 1 and 2 keys between Steam and Origin. I understand that not every publisher has their own store like EA's Origin but publishers should keep track and ensure that legit customers are able to get access to the game from alternative methods in case the 3rd party store shuts down.

I really hope they bring Halo Wars 2 to Steam.

On 18 June 2016 at 1:34 PM, WereCat said:

If people don't like Steam then I doubt that they would get the game from the Windows Store in the first place.

But I agree with @Rune and I hope it is just Steam version.

I hate Steam but am reasonably satisfied with the Windows store at the moment. Especially if the Windows store has properly localised pricing.

1 minute ago, Dredgy said:

I hate Steam but am reasonably satisfied with the Windows store at the moment. Especially if the Windows store has properly localised pricing.

Pricing is entirely based on the developer so it's on a per app or game basis.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Pricing is entirely based on the developer so it's on a per app or game basis.

Yes I know that, but steam doesn't localise their pricing - it's US dollars only. So in Australia I end up paying $120 for a game on Steam as opposed to going to a store and paying $60.

I'm assuming Microsofts store will have localised pricing as they've done well in the past in that regard. But I only have free games with them at the moment, so I will found out when Forza Horizon 3 is out.

1 minute ago, Dredgy said:

Yes I know that, but steam doesn't localise their pricing - it's US dollars only. So in Australia I end up paying $120 for a game on Steam as opposed to going to a store and paying $60.

I'm assuming Microsofts store will have localised pricing as they've done well in the past in that regard. But I only have free games with them at the moment, so I will found out when Forza Horizon 3 is out.

They started to localize steam. Now where I live in HK they show the price in HKD instead of USD.