Do you think in 20+ years we will look back and think...

Wow, gtx 1080? What a piece of crap. Can't even get 100fps on my 12k monitor. (if we haven't blown ourselves up by then)

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

by then the PS4 and xbox will just be getting 4K gameplay support 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

No, because any sane person will see the performance relative to the time and the technology of that time. We will think "yeah it was a good card for its time".

Just like the NES has nice graphics, for its time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

Wow, 1080? What a piece of crap. Can't even get 100fps on my 12k monitor. (if we haven't blown ourselves up by then)

It already like this.

Here is an ad from about 30 years from now in the US:

oldpc-23.jpg

or HDDs:

hardisk-waiting-for.jpg

nobody knows. what if amd goes bankrupt and nvidia refuses to innovate? 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

"meet the new i7 26770k ! a blistering 0.01% performance improvement over last gen , all for 9001$ !"

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It already like this.

-snip-

"at a lighting fast 20Mhz" - Best Deal

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Will monitor even go higher than 8k... and is there a benefit for them to do so?

Past that I'm just expecting us to have VR/AR monitors or holographic monitors, over the plain monitors we currently have but higher res.

And really, like with anything, the ones who were there when something happened/existed will think "it was the good old days" and the ones who weren't will just say that we're crazy to think that over the new fancy tech of the future.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

nobody knows. what if amd goes bankrupt and nvidia refuses to innovate? 

The government(s) would't let AMD go bankrupt and even in a hypothetical scenario where that happens, another company will buy AMD (for cheap), like Samsung .

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

of course in the future and probably sooner than you think we will consider 8GB of video memory to be completely irrelevant...i remember vividly the day i bought a 4mb 3D graphics accelerator to stick into my dad's pentium...since then, we went from 4mb of video memory to 6 or 8GB in about 20 years.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The government(s) would't let AMD go bankrupt and even in a hypothetical scenario where that happens, another company will buy AMD (for cheap), like Samsung .

You're expecting politicians to understand how important AMD is for the tech world. They hardly even understand the internet, you think they will understand this? It's more likely that they indeed will just be bought out by another company.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You're expecting politicians to understand how important AMD is for the tech world. They hardly even understand the internet, you think they will understand this?

I'm sure at least one person will say they are a big player in the CPU and GPU technology industry.

Right?

Right?

Right..?

Hmm, I'm probably overestimating the government now!

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I'm sure at least one person will say they are a big player in the CPU and GPU technology industry.

Right?

Right?

Right..?

Hmm, I'm probably overestimating the government now!

old people don't know how to work a computer and that is what politicians are.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

I guess we will think the same as our parents and grandparents dotoday. Our children are more likely to be like: "Meh. 15W for a CPU? Meh. What are you, a noob who did not know that xyz CPU maker existed?".

Though I am only 21, the time since 2005 seems to be the one, where consumer technology evolved the fastest, so talking about 20 years from now will be like a look into the "magic ball".

Maybe by then we will have GTX1580 Ti performance in SLI on the succesor technology for smartphones.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, annoyingmoments said:

Maybe by then we will have GTX1580 Ti performance in SLI on the succesor technology for smartphones.

exactly, we will...for sure. That's just how things goes...that's evolution.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

exactly, we will...for sure.

You sound sad, but there is a reason I used "maybe" ;)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

32 minutes ago, Minibois said:

but if AMD gets bought out by another company, they won't be able to make x86 chips anymore, but radeon group could be bought out though

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It already like this.

*pic snipped*

or HDDs:

*pic snipped from my post for courtesy to other topic readers*

Hey, @GoodBytes, any chance you might be able to find what the cost of a 286-10 CPU was in January 1989? :) My parents bought their first PC then (from a local store in San Diego - Datel, which is still in business, and a few people there host a computer talkshow on a local station for an hour every Saturday, that's been on at least since the 1990s or so), built around that CPU with 1 MB RAM, a 40 MB HDD, DOS 3.3, EGA graphics, etc, and the total cost was around $1744 plus tax.  (I'm guessing the CPU was probably around $300-500, but the invoice I still have doesn't give the price of the CPU individually.)

Later, in 1994 or 1995, they paid just a little over $100 or so for a 486DX4-120 CPU.  I'd like to figure out how much of a performance vs price improvement that would have been.  Also, what would it take to get the same ratio of improvement now - ether from a 6-8-year-old CPU, or from a current CPU in 6-8 years? :)

in 20 years fps might not even be a thing. who knows. 

i sort of look and think weve reached a peak and dont know how it could really get better but i bet people thought that playing the nes

I don't know, do you take the time to look at a voodoo 3 and complain that it doesn't run 4k?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

e354e3e87ce48c6cf96ade95a8fee611.jpg

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

31 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Hey, @GoodBytes, any chance you might be able to find what the cost of a 286-10 CPU was in January 1989? :) My parents bought their first PC then (from a local store in San Diego - Datel, which is still in business, and a few people there host a computer talkshow on a local station for an hour every Saturday, that's been on at least since the 1990s or so), built around that CPU with 1 MB RAM, a 40 MB HDD, DOS 3.3, EGA graphics, etc, and the total cost was around $1744 plus tax.  (I'm guessing the CPU was probably around $300-500, but the invoice I still have doesn't give the price of the CPU individually.)

Later, in 1994 or 1995, they paid just a little over $100 or so for a 486DX4-120 CPU.  I'd like to figure out how much of a performance vs price improvement that would have been.  Also, what would it take to get the same ratio of improvement now - ether from a 6-8-year-old CPU, or from a current CPU in 6-8 years? :)

No, I don't recall prices in the 90's really.

But I remember paying a fortune for 128MB of RAM, while most people had like 32MB and most gamer 64MB. It did boost nicely the performance of the computer overall as you had much less disk paging, but not the smartest purchase ever, as you can imagine, especially in a type where RAM was getting bigger, faster and cheaper at a rapid rate. This was also true for the rest of hardware industry in computers, as software was pushing hardware to its limits. Sadly, this is no longer the case, and the push of low power instead of performance is what is focus. Things may change as game engine gets more powerful (in terms fo features), high-level programming languages are favored, and things like that, which  allows developers to focus on features development, and not coding.

50 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

-snip-

Few min with google gave me this this and this. Hope it helps. I can try and search more a bit later.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.