Twitch Troll Loses $50,000 - PayPal Refuses A Refund

NovusBal

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/paypal-refuses-refund-twitch-troll-donated-huge-sums-money/

Twitch has become incredibly popular in recent years and given a platform for certain streamers to earn a living via donations and sponsorship. Clearly, whenever individuals are in the public eye, they can receive trolling in various different forms. Unbelievably, one user who goes by the name of iNexus_Ninja decided to donate vast sums of money to various Twitch streamers ranging from $1,000 all the way up to $5,000. According to aNeoGaf thread, this person donated at least $50,000 and apparently comes from a very wealthy family. Judging by his Twitter account, the 18-year-old appears to have a very casual attitude towards spending thousands of dollars. Even more absurd, his masterplan involved donating the money, then waiting a month before demanding a chargeback via PayPal.

So, it seems that this troll honestly got what he deserved, donating then trying to charge-back from PayPal may just seem like a insult or annoyance to the Twitch Streamer at hand, it is more than just that, the issue here is that if someone tries to refund a donation, someone has to pay the fees for the donation, and these fees scale with the cost of the payment, so in the case of these streamers the fees may range in the hundreds.

This may seem just like a small hit to what seems to mostly be large streamers getting these donations, this is still a lose to these individuals who may require these donations for their livelihood and having some of this taken away just because of a troll, is something that should perhaps be taken seriously.

Personally, I agree with PayPal and their decision to not allow this to happen, as it was blatantly obvious this was not a genuine charge-back. Whether or not we see more idiotic attempts like this again, only time will tell, but what's your own thoughts on this? Feel this individual deserved it? Think there should be a method stopping twitch related donations ever being charged-back? Let me know your own thoughts.

Good the streamers lose a lot money when transactions are being charged back. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Me while reading this:

facepalmbear.PNG

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Nice. Much deserved (I read about it a bit earlier)

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So he was making huge donations just to reverse them and leave the person he was donating to with the bill for the refund?  And now he's being forced to actually pay what he donated.  Sounds like justice to me.

I saw a video of him donating. I think to the streamer legendary lea he kept donating like 125 dollars over and over again.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What if this was your kid though?

Just a 10 year old with moms credit card... hopefully not and justice was served on a 30 year old troll

New to the forum! Treat me well please :3 as I am a noob

I cant help but feel sorry for him. Those of you that are happy with the outcome are seeking vengeance not rehabilitation. Faking not allowing him to withdraw is more than enough to teach him a lesson. (if the chrageback fees werent a thing)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, MineralMining said:

Just a 10 year old with moms credit card... hopefully not and justice was served on a 30 year old troll

It wasn't.  It was an 18 year old from a wealthy family.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I cant help but feel sorry for him.

For who?  The people he tried to screw over?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, MineralMining said:

It says it's an 18 year old, I just wish we could get a video of his parents beating the crap out of him

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Seems like a lovely person... :dry:

Spoiler

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNGCapture5.PNGCapture6.PNG

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It wasn't.  It was an 18 year old from a wealthy family.

For who?  The people he tried to screw over?

No. Also how is that screwing them over? They wouldnt have gotten the money in the first place. Not saying what he did isnt bad but it could definitely be worse.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

No. Also how is that screwing them over? They wouldnt have gotten the money in the first place. Not saying what he did isnt bad but it could definitely be worse.

According to OP whenever someone refunds a payment on PayPal like that, the person they were paying gets stuck with a fee for the refund, which is proportional to the size of the payment.  Seems to me like he was intentionally trying not only to annoy people with fake donations but basically wasting their money too.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

According to OP whenever someone refunds a payment on PayPal like that, the person they were paying gets stuck with a fee for the refund, which is proportional to the size of the payment.  Seems to me like he was intentionally trying not only to annoy people with fake donations but basically wasting their money too.

oh..

That's completely fair. I think you shouldnt be able to refund "donations". Someone who really is happy about a donation, shouldnt have to give the money back.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

Sounds like his parents are just going to pay for the bills and leave it at that though. Since waving around thousands of dollars isn't a problem for them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

People like him are why people who were legitimately duped have to deal with difficult chargeback systems. He had it coming.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

25 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Even if the people he donated to wouldn't be on the hook for fees he would still not deserve his money back. He made the donations and he should be forced to stick to them, simple as that. Actions have consequences, people need to learn and remember that. Maybe if his parents raised him better and taught him that he wouldn't have turned out to be a douchebag and tried to fuck over people.

2 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Even if the people he donated to wouldn't be on the hook for fees he would still not deserve his money back. He made the donations and he should be forced to stick to them, simple as that. Actions have consequences, people need to learn and remember that. Maybe if his parents raised him better and taught him that he wouldn't have turned out to be a douchebag and tried to fuck over people.

37 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I cant help but feel sorry for him. Those of you that are happy with the outcome are seeking vengeance not rehabilitation. Faking not allowing him to withdraw is more than enough to teach him a lesson. (if the chrageback fees werent a thing)

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

some mice would still go for the cheese.

42 minutes ago, MineralMining said:

18 year old from a wealthy family

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Nope. Not being vindictive about it. I simply believe in personal responsibility, common sense, and not being a douche/intentionally trying to harm others.