A Researcher Just Accidentally Developed A Battery That Could Last A Lifetime

acsonline

Researchers from the University of California, Irvine, have invented a nanowire-based battery that can be recharged hundreds of thousands of times, a significant leap towards a battery that doesn’t require replacing.

Mya Le Thai, the lead study author, has charged and discharged the battery up to 200,000 times without breaking the nanowires and without loss of capacity.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-battery-can-be-recharged-hundreds-thousands-times

As consumers, we always seem to focus on battery life, ie. how long can we run our device on a single charge. If this discovery pans out and they can dramatically increase the overall lifespan of the battery that would be awesome.  One of the worries I've always had for electric vehicles was the possibility of having to replace the expensive batteries. This would definitely make it a non-issue if it pans out. :) 

What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, acsonline said:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-battery-can-be-recharged-hundreds-thousands-times

As consumers, we always seem to focus on battery life, ie. how long can we run our device on a single charge. If this discovery pans out and they can dramatically increase the overall lifespan of the battery that would be awesome.  One of the worries I've always had for electric vehicles was the possibility of having to replace the expensive batteries. This would definitely make it a non-issue if it pans out. :) 

What do you guys think?

Why do we invent useful stuff when we don't mean to? Does this mean we'll make the cure for cancer if we stop researching it?

I need a shit so I can't be bothered to read

clickybait title :(

I thought it meant one charge lasts for ever ;-;

not you can charge it again

which we have

but not as much

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Why do we invent useful stuff when we don't mean to? Does this mean we'll make the cure for cancer if we stop researching it?

yes

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

There will likely never be a cure for cancer because there is no money to be made in curing a disease permanantly. Hospitals would rather "treat" you over 20 years or however long and make a fortune off you/your insurance.

Lol, it does seem like we stumble across these things blindly doesn't it?  Thank god for the naked human curiosity that drives scientists to try weird things just for the sake of "what if..."!

I'd be great if someone could "stumble across" a cure for cancer, but don't forget, most research is incremental and eventually yields results as well. :)

Seems nice, but the trials haven't looked into actually lifespan nor actually use, just charge cycles. Once we see how it stands up to time, storing energy(not just charge and discharge), and real world environments I'll get excited. Would be nice to never have to replace a battery though

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Because its our human nature. We're so obssessed with trying to find the right solution to find the right thing .

However this causes us to be blind to other ways of trying to finding the solution, thus tossing creativity out the window. Only when we make mistakes we learn.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Seems nice, but the trials haven't looked into actually lifespan nor actually use, just charge cycles. Once we see how it stands up to time, storing energy(not just charge and discharge), and real world environments I'll get excited. Would be nice to never have to replace a battery though

We could probably use these batteries, for storing energy like for solar energy.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Because its our human nature. We're so obssessed with trying to find the right solution to find the right thing .

However this causes us to be blind to other ways of trying to finding the solution, thus tossing creativity out the window. Only when we make mistakes we learn.

"Can't see the wood because of the trees" 

One of my favorite idioms

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

"Can't see the wood because of the trees" 

One of my favorite idioms

How can we see if our eyes aren't real.

20 minutes ago, acsonline said:

What do you guys think?

daing im late, also please fix this white shit on the dark theme D:

(ctrl/shift/v for pasting without formating :) )

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

16 minutes ago, Renegade7369 said:

There will likely never be a cure for cancer because there is no money to be made in curing a disease permanantly. Hospitals would rather "treat" you over 20 years or however long and make a fortune off you/your insurance.

Had a bio prof (actual Dr. Dr. not academic Dr.) who used random over the counter products and some chemicals to cure his horse of cancer...he said it was let aggressive them chemo and overall cost him only a couple hundred bucks from beginning to end of treatment. He was a strong believer in your quote and was convinced we should have found a usable cure by now.

----

but back on topic. This is cool for long term items (EV, battery stores for a house, etc.) but ehh for everything else. Cool my next phone's battery might not loose power. That's great...until I get a new phone a year or two later >_> /s

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

10 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Had a bio prof (actual Dr. Dr. not academic Dr.) who used random over the counter products and some chemicals to cure his horse of cancer...he said it was let aggressive them chemo and overall cost him only a couple hundred bucks from beginning to end of treatment. He was a strong believer in your quote and was convinced we should have found a usable cure by now.

The entire line of logic is insane. Do you have any idea how much goddamn money you would make if your pharmaceutical company were to be the ones to cure cancer? You'd immediately change your slogan to "The People who Cured Cancer" and live comfortably on endless profits until the end of your days.

Not to mention the fact that literally everyone, including medical professionals, have had someone in their life die of cancer, and wouldn't be able to keep the cure a secret. Unless all the researchers are sociopaths, I don't see how this cynical outlook is close to reality.

--

But back on topic! Infinitely rechargeable batteries sound amazing. It's rare to see large leaps in battery technology, so we'll see how it all pans out.

1 minute ago, EscalatorBoy said:

The entire line of logic is insane. Do you have any idea how much goddamn money you would make if your pharmaceutical company were to be the ones to cure cancer? You'd immediately change your slogan to "The People who Cured Cancer" and live comfortably on endless profits until the end of your days.

Not to mention the fact that literally everyone, including medical professionals, have had someone in their life die of cancer, and wouldn't be able to keep the cure a secret. Unless all the researchers are sociopaths, I don't see how this cynical outlook is close to reality.

--

But back on topic! Infinitely rechargeable batteries sound amazing. It's rare to see large leaps in battery technology, so we'll see how it all pans out.

Calm your elevated testes, sir. I'm just telling a tale of a man I knew. Let me put my tin foil hat on real quick before I tell you the end of it....A couple months after 'curing' his horse and telling us all about it...he mysterious died! *DUH DUH DUH*

Now you tell me, how random is it that a 70-something year old guy just drops died like that?!?!?! He was silenced! (this part is a joke but he did actually die right after :/)

I agree that cancer thing is a crazy conspiracy but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out true for a less lethal sicknesses.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

8 minutes ago, EscalatorBoy said:

-Snip-

Sociopaths probably have the highest reasoning to release it, actually.  Survival is above all other things, always on the mind.  Sort of a natural craving, and always on the mind.  Releasing the cure would net them money, money is survival, ensures protection, garners attention, but even then that is a fine trade-off for the means to ensure constant survival as well as combat cancer if they develop it or protect those they do care about, how few that may be.  In turn all of that lines up with societies goals, and the sociopath will likely not care too much about that aspect.

Then again it depends on the sociopathy--a lot of different variants.  Like ducks!  You got white ones, brown ones, fried ones.

And on topic - give me a battery that recharges itself 24/7 and doesn't ever stop working.  Give me the power of the Sun, inside of my phone.  

This would only result in thinner phones, due to royalties the handset makers get from accessory makers.. Ahh capitalism

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Such a battery wouldn't fly commercially--too much greed to allow the general population to have nice things. 

24 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Such a battery wouldn't fly commercially--too much greed to allow the general population to have nice things. 

Leave that to Tesla.

Ye ole' train

So it's not a battery with single charge that will last a lifetime, but a battery that can be recharged for a lifetime.

Well if that battery can only hold a 30 minute charge, it won't be fun to keep on recharging it for a lifetime. Compare that to a nuclear battery, nuclear battery sounds a lot better. NASA's Curiosity Rover has a nuclear battery and from a single charge, it will last at least 14 years. Others can last as long as 25 years.

http://www.about-robots.com/curiosity-rover-nuclear-battery.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/416312/a-25-year-battery/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

The whole "discovered by accident" thing I think is severely misleading (nothing against this thread or the article, but rather the whole concept). Very very rarely are things absolutely discovered by accident because labs all over the world are working to discover something, anything. Certainly the team here were trying to build a better battery, that's the whole reason they were working...and that's what they did. Sure, the exact quality of that battery was unknown but they were trying to discover something involving batteries. How can that be considered that an accident? That's like saying while investigating a sound in your attic you accidentally discovered a mouse.

Still waiting for them -....-

130429160154-graphene-explainer-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg

HURRY UP ALREADY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! :P

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, Renegade7369 said:

That "logic" breaks down as soon as you realize that pretty much all developed counties except the US got universal healthcare. It is in the best interest for everyone to keep people healthy in those countries.

It also don't make sense unless you think that scientists dying in caner are willing to sacrifice their own lives, as well as the lives of their loved ones just so that other people (not themselves) can make money (because it's not doctors and hospitals doing the cancer research).

Nice that they discovered this, but like with most battery discoveries it will sadly probably not lead anywhere.

I've resigned myself to not believing there will ever be a "revolutionary" change in battery technology until I buy something that has the battery in it. Two dozen discoveries in and everything I've been able to buy continues to be incremental improvements plodding along. I'm not saying that any of the discoveries were fake or anything, but it's not like batteries are suddenly all going to have infinite charging cycles with no downsides compared to existing designs.