A Researcher Just Accidentally Developed A Battery That Could Last A Lifetime

acsonline

That click bait title though... Anyway, some new type of battery lasing couple of times as todays sounds more of a myth lately. Always some news about next battery discovery yet we're not seeing anything on commercial use. Hopefully one day.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Probably has terrible capacity to size ratio

He's literally just storing charge in wires, there's no way it's actually any good

28 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

That click bait title though... Anyway, some new type of battery lasing couple of times as todays sounds more of a myth lately. Always some news about next battery discovery yet we're not seeing anything on commercial use. Hopefully one day.

Haha, you can't blame me for the click bait. I just cut & pasted the title of the article, lol! ;)

I get the frustration and impatience, as we consumers all wait for more than tiny improvements to the batteries in our devices.  But I am also legitimately interested in the developments for batteries happening in the lab... even if we won't see the benefits for years (or never).

so much research in battery tech the last few years, yet none of it has really seen the light of day for everyday consumers. I hope something happens soon.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

You bet your ass this is on NASA's radar. Good stuff for sending robots or supply runs before and after man missions outside our planet.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

6 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Probably has terrible capacity to size ratio

He's literally just storing charge in wires, there's no way it's actually any good

There is this question, as well as it's efficiency. But even it's efficiency and size aren't that great it could still be useful for storing solar or wind energy on a national grid, or more locally in homes or businesses, if not for more mobile applications like phones and cars.

I feel like I have seen this exact headline before.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

oh science. always making stuff on accident.
for example, Teflon! accidentally made when scientist were trying to make a CFC refrigerant (which i believe is a much better trade off).
Or graphene! made when a scientist was cleaning a piece of carbon with tape.

we are so advanced

The smartest idiot you will ever find

On 22.4.2016 at 10:11 PM, Renegade7369 said:

There will likely never be a cure for cancer because there is no money to be made in curing a disease permanantly. Hospitals would rather "treat" you over 20 years or however long and make a fortune off you/your insurance.

You know there is places in the world that hospitals do not earn money based on how many treatments they do?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:04 AM, acsonline said:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-battery-can-be-recharged-hundreds-thousands-times

As consumers, we always seem to focus on battery life, ie. how long can we run our device on a single charge. If this discovery pans out and they can dramatically increase the overall lifespan of the battery that would be awesome.  One of the worries I've always had for electric vehicles was the possibility of having to replace the expensive batteries. This would definitely make it a non-issue if it pans out. :) 

What do you guys think?

This will be expensive as hell. And Nobody will be able to afford one for the next 5 to 10 years.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),