Do you guys put your PCs on your desk or below it?

Flight1sim

is there any advantages on top?

will it reduce dust build up in my PC if i put it on top? i have wood flooring and a dog.

You have a dog. You just answered your own question. Put it on the desk. Will make a HUGE difference in dust/fur build up on the filters - and if you don't have filters god help you.

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Top: Less dust, wastes more desktop space, fans can be heard more, Good if you have windowed case, easier to access ports

Under: More dust, takes less space. Cable management can be easier. Airflow might be restricted, quieter

Finished

Finished

Noise is imo same either way. Unless you block sound waves somehow. Same goes with accessing ports. My hand reaches fine to both top and front ports of my case. And if we think most common cases people have, all use top placement for ports. Imo its harder to reach up than down.

But I might be biassed since I have rack for case:

th_IMG_2488.jpg

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I used to have my desktop on top of my desk, but recently moved it down to below my desk.. Having it below freed up a metric butt-ton extra space on my (small) desk.

As long as you clean your dust filers at a reasonable interval, there shouldn't be much difference between having it on top or below.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Noise is imo same either way. Unless you block sound waves somehow. Same goes with accessing ports. My hand reaches fine to both top and front ports of my case. And if we think most common cases people have, all use top placement for ports. Imo its harder to reach up than down.

But I might be biassed since I have rack for case:

Sounds travels less through an object... That's fact..

You will have to get on your knees behind your PC to access ports and on desk you just lean forward.

Sounds travels less through an object... That's fact..

You will have to get on your knees behind your PC to access ports and on desk you just lean forward.

1. So? Only way that noise will be different if it would be covered in all sides. Most desks have just open shelf for it. So over and under are same thing. And like all noise questions. This is highly subjective and depends per user. So you can't really list it as pro or con in this situation.

2. How many times you need to access those? And wouldn't having case places so that you have very easy access to them look really unclean?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1. So? Only way that noise will be different if it would be covered in all sides. Most desks have just open shelf for it. So over and under are same thing. And like all noise questions. This is highly subjective and depends per user. So you can't really list it as pro or con in this situation.

2. How many times you need to access those? And wouldn't having case places so that you have very easy access to them look really unclean?

no

no

I have mine on a carpet floor with no problems.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

snip

snip

snip

i think im deciding to put it on top of my desk because my pc being on the ground in a corner where it gets hella dusty doesnt help lol.

and you guys said to put it on top so i need your help planning how to put it x]

so i'm getting two desks since they would equal around to be 70 dollars

i have two ideas.

1st one is to have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse on 1 desk and the pc on the other desk like this. i move my arm a lot cus i play a lot of cs go so this might help. although it would be a bit harder to access the components if i need to quickly fix something lol.

2T4Ovg5.png

my other idea is to put it like a lot of people do by putting everything on one desk. i have a lot more stuff to put (modems, routers, printers, xbox) so this might be an alternative option.

EWoLEhL.png

which one do you guys think I should do? any other ideas would be helpful too.

I like my tower on top of the desk because I find it easier to access USB ports and get the side panel off to replace hardware and do maintenance stuff.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

-snip-

Personally would put it on the right for sure, because most side panels are there (and even if you don't have a case window, it will still be helpful for when you want to work on your PC).

So I would pick picture/setup number 2. The router and Xbox can probably sit in the corner and a 2nd screen can be added by the looks of it, on the left of your other screen

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My PC is underneath my desk. My desk is a shitty staples one, so it would probably collapse under the weight.

My laptop, however, is on top of the desk, next to my monitor.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Top. Perfect on the end of the table so it'll have better support.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Cases on the desk greatly reduce dust buildup over putting it on the floor

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Have the same desk. It's awesome! :)

I prefer having my PC tower on top so I can geek out looking at the hardware :P and keep the dust collection down (have 4 small dogs). 

IMG_20150614_140525_zpscwppwez0.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Mine is under my desk, just because I like having lots of room on my desk.

my pc is on top I like to see the led's and all the hardware inside

can't forget old school ;)

Top of desk. I have more accessibility to the ports on my case and the side panel gives me the ability to admire my PC, especially that NH-D14  ;)

• 1 month later...

So i was thinking to myself if I wanted to move my PC tower from the floor to my desk.

Is it a bad idea and why? i would love some feedback  B)

Do you have your tower on the floor or on the desk?

Yes

No

lol. 

Floor = dust (usually)

Desk = added weight/height to your desk

Yes.