Odyssey: FIRST BUILD!

MattTheMayor

Odyssey

This build is mainly for gaming along with some schoolwork and video editing. After a year of researching and planning, I finally bought my parts. I am really proud on this list and it is such a relief to have a working computer. Currently, I am using a Dell with an Intel Celeron @1.2Ghz, 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 GB HDD, and Intel Integrated Graphics.

The parts were bought in Fry's. I chose Fry's for convenience. Convenience as in if something was DOA, I can just drive to Fry's and hopefully get it replaced rather than waiting for weeks. Also, it is a complete win. Comparing the prices to Amazon, it was the same price. The final price was $988. Pretty expensive.

Corsair 300R

Intel i7-4790

Patriot Viper 3 2x4 8GB 1600mhz

MSI Z97 Pro Guard

XFX Radeon R9 280 Double Dissipation 3GB

Antec HCG-620M

HGST 1TB

Let's explain on why I chose what I chose. Yes, I know I am using a Z board with a locked processor. I plan on upgrading and the H boards were the same price as the board, so why not be future proof? The i7 was on sale for 288 which is great. The case was a no-brainer. It was between this and a few not-decent brands like Raidmax. Other cases were either above my budget. The Vipers were on a huge deal with the price of 55 bucks. I am buying Windows 8.1 from Reddit for 20 dollars.

Building on Friday

DyxGFzd.jpg

You know that your not gonna get the 3 games from AMD if you buy your AMD card at Fry's?

You know that your not gonna get the 3 games from AMD if you buy your card at Fry's?

I didn't even know or intend that I could get 3 games lol. Doesn't really matter.

Looks like a straight build man, i like it a lot. me being a videographer i suggest you buy a good after market cooler for when your cpu is at 100%. :)

300R BROTHER!!! Although, my rig will be (hopefully) going in a much nicer case for Christmas, and my old rig will return to this one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Looks like a straight build man, i like it a lot. me being a videographer i suggest you buy a good after market cooler for when your cpu is at 100%. :)

Thanks man :). Yeah, I plan on getting the 212 EVO as soon as I recover from the 900 bucks haha.

300R BROTHER!!! Although, my rig will be (hopefully) going in a much nicer case for Christmas, and my old rig will return to this one.

The 300R is just so good <3

Thanks man :). Yeah, I plan on getting the 212 EVO as soon as I recover from the 900 bucks haha.

The 300R is just so good <3

My (hopefully) new case is better. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

UPDATE?:

Copped a new monitor <3 H236hl

Building tomorrow. Make sure to check it out

(sorry if rotated)

cmwkuPN.jpg

BUILT!!

Alright so I finished the build on Saturday. Took me a few hours to get me to the hang of it. Here's my review on all my components and feelings
CPU: Just amazing. an i7. Getting around 30c idle so everything is fine.
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler, not the best or not the worst. Feel like it gets the job done. Willing to upgrade later on.

Motherboard: BIOS seems easy to configure with. Not really tech-savy within motherboards but gets the job done
GPU: A BEAST! Still haven't put it to the full test. Still need to download BF3, but I'm lazy >.<
RAM: 8GB is fine by me. RAM is RAM

HDD: Not really digging it. The loudest thing in my system it keeps on making a rattling noise. Don't worry, the hard drive itself is not rattling in the bay, its the disk. Regret buying a really low budget drive lol.
Case: Bit hard to build in. The side panel is bulging because there's little room for the cables. Hard to do cable management because no rubber grommets and some holes don't really match up with the connector I'm looking for (i.e hd audio).

PSU: Good I guess. The cables are REAAAALLLLY stiff. Had trouble connecting 24 and 8 pin connectors. 

Future plans:

HDD definitely the first thing I'll change >.<

Will get aftermarket cooler if the stock one doesn't do it's justice in noise while gaming

Case whenever I really need one. The bulge will annoy me some day

Upgrade to 4790k

GPU whenever it's necessary.

gyuLkBp.jpg

AvSYKNT.jpg

E66XRgp.jpg

Thank you for staying in with the updates! Definitely had fun building this!

• 2 months later...

What keyboard?

I'm so sorry. Macbook Air Mid 2013. shivers.

I live in the place where a GTX970 here costs as much as a GTX980 in the US.

• 3 weeks later...

What keyboard?

razer blackwidow 2014

ye it has the cheapy switches. but idk why people bash against it. it feels perfectly fine.

• 2 months later...

BUILT!!

Alright so I finished the build on Saturday. Took me a few hours to get me to the hang of it. Here's my review on all my components and feelings

CPU: Just amazing. an i7. Getting around 30c idle so everything is fine.

CPU Cooler: Stock cooler, not the best or not the worst. Feel like it gets the job done. Willing to upgrade later on.

Motherboard: BIOS seems easy to configure with. Not really tech-savy within motherboards but gets the job done

GPU: A BEAST! Still haven't put it to the full test. Still need to download BF3, but I'm lazy >.<

RAM: 8GB is fine by me. RAM is RAM

HDD: Not really digging it. The loudest thing in my system it keeps on making a rattling noise. Don't worry, the hard drive itself is not rattling in the bay, its the disk. Regret buying a really low budget drive lol.

Case: Bit hard to build in. The side panel is bulging because there's little room for the cables. Hard to do cable management because no rubber grommets and some holes don't really match up with the connector I'm looking for (i.e hd audio).

PSU: Good I guess. The cables are REAAAALLLLY stiff. Had trouble connecting 24 and 8 pin connectors. 

Future plans:

HDD definitely the first thing I'll change >.<

Will get aftermarket cooler if the stock one doesn't do it's justice in noise while gaming

Case whenever I really need one. The bulge will annoy me some day

Upgrade to 4790k

GPU whenever it's necessary.

gyuLkBp.jpg

AvSYKNT.jpg

E66XRgp.jpg

Thank you for staying in with the updates! Definitely had fun building this!

Bruh, you gotta work on that cable management man! Even though you feel like that was the best you can do, you can always do better and you'll be happy you did.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Bruh, you gotta work on that cable management man! Even though you feel like that was the best you can do, you can always do better and you'll be happy you did.

hahaha picture is old. it looks way better now. won't take a picture right now because the dust is embarrassing but ill do it next week when i dust out my computer

hahaha picture is old. it looks way better now. won't take a picture right now because the dust is embarrassing but ill do it next week when i dust out my computer

alright, no prob, looking forward to that! :D

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Bought new desks! I bought the ones that the forum always recommends (Linnmon table top with Adils table legs.

Here's what it looks like now :). I just finished so I might move a few things if I dont like the way they are.

qaVhGwF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey so is that xbox 360's vent really that dusty?

yep

lol I bet it runs super hot! mine runs hot even though all the dust is gone!

lol I bet it runs super hot! mine runs hot even though all the dust is gone!

i haven't touched it ever since i built this x]

• 2 months later...