Should weed be legal? [Discussion]

Overkilled
Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

What makes someone else think they can dictate another person's life and habits? I really want the answer to this, and no one against legalizing weed can answer  it (at least logically). If someone can smoke, drink, abort, own guns or whatnot, why can't someone have a little weed? Smoking, drinking and driving harms more people than weed, and yet they remain perfectly legal...

IMO, it shouldn't be legal. Just a personal belief.

Don't trust me with sharp things.

Wait what? Isn't THC addictive?

Everything is addictive. Sugar is a major addiction substance. Ever just need a chocolate bar?

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Everything is addictive. Sugar is a major addiction substance. Ever just need a chocolate bar?

No actually.

Tika chicken on the other hand..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Don´t do drugs kids. 

I don´t really care about that. I neither smoke nor drink. But I think it´s actually alcohol that is more dangerous. It´s just so underestimated and in my country you can drink beer at the age of 16 and it´s like so cool to drink alcohol at that age. Yeah, and there is the problem with addiction.

Hey I can drink beer at work during my lunch break.....granted I work on a beer factory but still pretty cool.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't think it's necessarily that they don't know better, I think it's that the foods easier to obtain.

That's why I eat it. I know I shouldn't but it's just so much easier than cooking something.

Plus that fountain pop. Such addiction.

No, it's absolutely a case of the public not knowing better.

We don't fund education well here and the vast majority think being overweight/obese is "just genetics" and that any males under 15% bodyfat and females under 20% bodyfat are simply "starving themselves".

Just the other day i met with a woman who had gone through lipo to lose 40 pounds and she was in my office, referred, telling me she's been gaining the weight back on and had no idea why after she had already gotten her operation...God bless her for taking the initiative though; telling me how "she eats so healthy and exercises"...after about a 20-minute conversation going back and forth i found out that she didn't keep track of her calories (the obvious), her diet consisted of low-protein/low-carb/high-fat foods like salads drenched in fucking ranch and high-calorie yogurts (because she heard going into Ketosis is what's "hip" to fat-loss nowadays...), and that her "exercise" consisted of 30-minute dedicated walks and no resistance-training (which, honestly, is better than most Americans so she had that going for her)

But see that's the thing.

This lady made the effort to be healthy however she could think of and it still led to her gaining weight.

It's not as simple as not allowing certain foods for public sale, people need to take responsibility for themselves; like you, many people know what they're eating is bad and still eat it but that's your lack of self-control. (inb4 i'm called an Annie)

Self-control is a good thing and it's hard for everyone, but it's a skill and moderation is something everyone builds upon.

Like moderation when smoking, or drinking.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Yes, it should be legal.

If someone can smoke next to me and give me their secondhand smoke, weed should be legal. If someone can drink their capacity to think away and kill someone because of that influence, someone should be able to chill with some weed. Or to ease pain with it. Point is weed is fine with moderation. For all the people thinking legalizing weed is wrong because it is bad for you, I ask: what isn't bad for you out of moderation? Should we make alcohol and coffee illegal? Cigarettes? What about candy and soda? How about spinach?

No one should be telling anyone want to eat, drink, smoke, marry, love, like, dislike or anything else! Yet somehow only doctors are allowed to legally put you into an addiction (and kill you)? Pathetic. -_-

We need a man like Gary Johnson to step up and put us back on track. Maybe when people taste real freedom and liberty, they won't let it get slaughtered by power-hungry morons and the people with the "think about the children" mentality.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I think most things that harm no one but the user should be legal - given a certain *high* level of education in society.
At the same time I think we'd like be better off as a global society if mind altering drugs weren't thought of as a great idea - humans have enough trouble being sane anyway.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Hey I can drink beer at work during my lunch break.....granted I work on a beer factory but still pretty cool.

Lol. Do what you wanna do. I personally think that beer is meh, even though im living in bavaria, that´s like the beer paradise, i guess.

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

Snoop dogg already has his own weed company in Colorado apparently 

No because everyone that I know that is a pothead is usually very trashy and hood-rat like people. I'm not calling everyone that uses weed a trashy hood-rat but from my experience they usually are but there are some people that I know and they use weed and they're fairly decent people but that's besides the point. And plus it would be abused.

-snip-

Guess it's just a difference of where we live then.

I have self control. I choose to eat it, because I want to. Don't get those two things confused.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yes. It's been proven time and time again that even abusing marijuana can't kill you. You're just smoking the bud of a plant.

Meanwhile, cigarettes are pretty much tar pits wrapped in paper.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

While I like to identifiy as a borderline Ultra-Leftist, drugs are something I simply don't like, while a lot of Liberals will argue that people should be allowed to do what they want to their bodies, I don't think people should be allowed to harm themselves, while Cannabis isn't particularly harmful, it can exploit mental weakness in some people, leading to bi-polar disorder, or schizophrenia. I also don't think alcohol or tobacco should be legal, as well as the vast array of legal highs. If there's one right that I don't think people should have, it's the right to harm one's self. I do however support medical Cannabis, as long as back round checks have been made to establish whether they're are prone to the possible mental health risks involved with it.   

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I'm on the "Your body, your rules" bandwagon. If you can use it in a way that is not harmful to others, it's your business and your business alone. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I've dine it and have mostly stopped, It just makes me lazy and eat a lot, plus since I have OCD and other anxiety disorders it just makes me paranoid.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

No more harmful than alcohol or caffeine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No more harmful than alcohol or caffeine.

I do like those 2. A lot.

While yes i do think weed and other drugs should be made legal its maybe not for the the same reasons as the OP.

The best course of action in the war on drugs is to legalize them all, have all of the users on a program where they get their daily/weekly doses/amounts from government approved dispensaries. When this solution has been implemented in other countries crime rates fall dramatically, drug addiction, HIV and Hep C all fall dramatically as does the amount of money we spend on law enforcement and the judiciary wasting money to investigate and prosecute them.

Once all of this has been put in place then you can start to funnel some of the savings into addressing these peoples health issues, i see drug addiction as an illness that can be cured if tackled in the right way.

Can you imagine how small our prison populations would be if we weren't persecuting addicts, think about the cost to society of a crack/heroin/ice addict fueling his or her $500 a day habit, think about the crimes they commit to get a fix, boggles my mind. As logical as all of this is it will sadly never happen because its a political bomb, any politician openly pushing for this would be committing career suicide and that wont change until we as a society start to change how we see addicts and the problem as a whole.  

It's 'harmful' effects aren't *that* bad. Especially if it's responsibly used. It has legitimate health benefits, is a healthier painkiller versus many other addictive pain killers like Oxy, etc..

It should have an age restriction to deter underage usage. +18. I say the same with alcohol. It should also face similar restrictions with Tobacco and Alcohol. I don't want to pass people in Disney Land who are lighting reefers if you get my drift.

The most important reason I argue however is that, by making it legal, you take a massive chunk out of crime. Cartels are a significant problem in the U.S. (more than most people know) and having something as benign as weed contribute to that is simply stupid. By making it legal, legitimate and taxable businesses are created that would absolutely destroy this part of the cartels' business. Less money wasted fighting crime (gang violence, cartels, etc.), less people going to jail , less money funding the cartels resulting in less crime, etc..

This is implying that whatever bill legalizes it doesn't hand over the rights to a hand full of specific businesses like they've been trying to do. That'll create a monopoly that would be hard to break and result in cartels just undercutting.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I do like those 2. A lot.

I will fucking cut anyone who tries to take away my caffeine. I need that shit to live.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I will fucking cut anyone who tries to take away my caffeine. I need that shit to live.

I can do without, but it won't be nice.

Drugs in general : no way in hell ( don't want heroin or hard drugs to be legal )

But for less harmful stuff , people should be able to put what they want into their bodies.

Weed should be legal.

And the government shouldn't have made psilocybin illegal ( let alone a class A drug ) , as it isn't addictive and  has so far shown to have health benefits .

But what would i know , i don't do drugs ( just making that clear )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Spoken like a true addict of psychoactive stimulants.

On the real though, even drugs like caffeine can serve a purpose with moderation.

The point is to stop thinking of anything as "good drugs" and "bad drugs" when that's not how it works.

Drugs in general : no way in hell ( don't want heroin or hard drugs to be legal )

But for less harmful stuff , people should be able to put what they want into their bodies.

Weed should be legal.

And the government shouldn't have made psilocybin illegal ( let alone a class A drug ) , as it isn't addictive and  has so far shown to have health benefits .

But what would i know , i don't do drugs ( just making that clear )

Ironically enough, Heroin, while being as physically addictive as Nicotine, seems to be fairly safe and is one of the least physically harmful drugs granted your source is clean, take the proper dosage, and you don't share needles. (I was surprised to when i learned this)

We have to be careful what we deem "too harmful" and "less harmful".

Alcohol and Nicotine have taken the most lives out of any other drugs.

Magic mushrooms still do have the ability to be addictive.

"If you ain't first, you're last"