The most pirated TV show of 2015 was ..... Game of Thrones?

AlTech

I knew it was popular, didnt know it was that popular :/

Ive never even watched a bit of it, I see I have some serious catching up to do if its that popular :P

GoT is 18+ rated, be careful.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This Oatmeal post explains it pretty darn well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Can't tell you how much this actually happens with me on other movies/shows.

Might I also add: In the few times Ive used HBO Go, the video quality was terrible and I often had problems with the player freezing or something. So in that sense the pirates are offering a better service.

As you may or may not know, I really hate piracy. I don't pirate anything.

good for you. you like watching your favorite tv shows? like game of thrones? ok. now imagine that netflix isnt avaible in your country.

lack of content-piracy

GoT is 18+ rated, be careful.

Thanks for watching out for me dad <3

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Thanks for watching out for me dad <3

I didn't say you can't watch it, I just said "be careful".

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I didn't say you can't watch it, I just said "be careful".

Ik, and I said thanks for looking out for me :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Can't tell you how much this actually happens with me on other movies/shows.

Might I also add: In the few times Ive used HBO Go, the video quality was terrible and I often had problems with the player freezing or something. So in that sense the pirates are offering a better service.

Or when you are actually buying Bluray movies. And you have to sit through a bunch of commercials. Spite you paying for it. 

good for you. you like watching your favorite tv shows? like game of thrones? ok. now imagine that netflix isnt avaible in your country.

lack of content-piracy

netflix actually isn't available in My country!

And I don't watch TV anymore.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well if it wasn't for fansubs, a lot of good Japanese Anime would never be watched by non Japanese speaking audiences.

Yep! Or we would think the show was bad because of a terrible dub.

Then you have shows like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, where only the first season was officially localized, and show kinda needs it's second season to wrap things up.

I can't legally get hbo or Netflix so...

Once Netflix launches in my country and has content not limited worldwide I will buy it.

I used to download music, Spotify offered a service I am not downloading music anymore.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well I'll just say this: where I live it would cost me over 36 euro's per month to watch GoT... Oh and an additional 100 - 150 euro's to set it up in the first place. Can't get HBO and the rights to broadcast it here are sold to the big cable companies. I don't have a cable subscription because mostly everything else on there doesn't interest me. This means that right now there is no option besides piracy that I'm able to consider. It doesn't mean that I'm not willing to pay a fair price for my content. I'm subribed to several paid streaming media services and on-demand tv services (Netflix etc) which offers me 90% of the content I'm interested in.

Sure you can, both the dvd's and blu-rays can be bought in Belgium.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Yeah, my family pirated it for a while because we didn't have cable (it was only available if you also had cable iirc). Then we bought the series on disc and later we actually got cable and HBO. Didn't they add an internet thing recently? If that was available sooner we probably wouldn't have 'stolen' it.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

As you may or may not know, I really hate piracy. I don't pirate anything.

Then you would REALLY hate me...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Game of Thrones is on Netfl--?! Oh, US Netflix. :/

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Isn't HBOGo not requiring a TV subscription now?

I'm trying to look on their website but it's so damn slow. Doesn't even want to load the main page.

Also I'd like to see worldwide legal viewers. Anyone got numbers on that?

i could have watched it on tv, but the tv schedule sucks so pirate it and binge watch it on a Sunday once the season is done

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I legally have access to Game of Thrones with HBO Go. HBO Go is absolutely terrible and constantly buffers on Sunday's, so I illegally download it...

Now factor that into your math.  :P

8.1 Million people watch it legally and 14.4 Million watch it illegally. Wow! I'm shocked.

You're shocked that a show that has been the top pirated media for 3-4 years IN A ROW, which is only available on services and channels that are region locked for 99% of the countries outside the US, that it gets the top spot again?  Really now?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Well if it wasn't for fansubs, a lot of good Japanese Anime would never be watched by non Japanese speaking audiences.

But now it is easier to watch sub anime the day of release in japan legally then it is to watch "normal" TV shows online the day of legally. (they are also easier to pirate too)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Never understood what's so good about Game of Thrones....nothing about it seems interesting to me at all.

Interesting fantasy world that isn't too flashy with very interesting characters and a lot of character development (or death).

Not that it must appeal to you but it clearly does appeal to many. I vastly preferred the detail of the books but for a 10-hour-per-book approximate translation, the TV show does a pretty damn good job.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Entirely because HBO makes it an absolute b*tch to get it.

A perfect example of Gaben's claim that Piracy is a service problem. HBO has a terrible service, HBO shows get pirated more.

Gaben is a wise god. Before I got Steam I would pirate fairly regularly, but since I started using it I do it extremely rarely. And when I do, I end up buying the game on Steam anyway if I like it.

Are those who bought the seasons on disc from stores counted as being legal? Because if not-fine then I'll keep my money.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But now it is easier to watch sub anime the day of release in japan legally then it is to watch "normal" TV shows online the day of legally. (they are also easier to pirate too)

*Majority of anime

There's a lot of anime that Crunchyroll(and other services) never have. They have most big ticket stuff for sure and smaller things, but not everything, new or old. Like for example Dragon Ball is not available on CR, not even the new Dragon Ball Super series.

I do agree though that it's easier to watch anime online legally than western shows. And that's all thanks to cable companies...