Snowden Documentation: Your Motherboard Is Spying On You

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

This is old news, and the article is not strictly accurate. Here is an article about the same news from two years ago (Jan 2014), which explains it much better and more truthfully: http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/close-look-nsa-monitor-catalog-server-hacking/

Notably:

• It only affects a few specific models of server from OEMs
  • It requires physical access to the server, to flash the BIOS and install the vulnerability
  • It probably wouldn't work on newer servers due to additional security features of modern motherboards

The actual original source for the story posted here is http://chronicle.su/2014/08/17/snowden-unveils-nsa-god-mode-malware-that-lives-on-your-motherboard-and-can-not-be-traced/ (from August 2014). It has recently been copied by several other sites, despite no longer actually being news.

Sure... Do you have a lot of water at disposal?

We shall survive on cactus moisture, my friend.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

inb4 we discover that microwaves oven are just a giant microphone and that the toaster has a gps tracker in it.

/s

I don't know man.. Cactus may spy on us.

You're right. We shall drink our own urine.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Tbh wouldnt even be mad if ISIS targeted the NSA headquarters

/rekt

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Tbh wouldnt even be mad if ISIS targeted the NSA headquarters

/rekt

Don't Blame the little guys at NSA, they are being told what to do, go after the leaders in charge of the decisions =, 

Don't Blame the little guys at NSA, they are being told what to do, go after the leaders in charge of the decisions =, 

Yeh ik

Sucks to be an American at times

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Do not misunderstand me, I certainly appreciate Snowden trying to save internet privacy, but I'd rather have lived in the dark, thinking I was safe (even though it doesn't affect me much)

Imagine if a company could predict what to sell you through information without metadata on the user? Perhaps first person shooters or action flicks are really popular in the german market now, and americans are starting to focus on RPGs and comedy movies. They can know exactly what and where you want to and WILL spend your excess money. That iphone 6s seems a little too expensive to europeans based on information gathered? Microsoft releases a slightly underpowered Windows 10 Lumia that's priced perfectly with a beautiful display and enough memory to house all the pictures people seem to be lacking by not owning a 6s.

What if your government, or ALL governments, knew what their citizens were thinking? Sounds cool right? You're spending all your time distracting yourself from your shitty wage job and stress of making bills on time. That could mean the government is going to reduce income taxes, right? No, now they know what the average person can or can't spend on certain products, so they could potentially implement legislation and relieve taxes on corporations that charge a bit too much on their products as a direct result of the average american's income. It would lower the price for the consumer, probably, yeah. Companies like thise idea because it broadens their profit margin, so they keep business going in the U.S. and don't transfer work or money overseas. It keeps the economy sustained in this area rather than boosting the economy of the other area. They can reword bills that already exist so that you think they've ended but are just reimplemented in the most current way possible. SOPA is a good example of this. The Patriot Act is another good example of this. TPP is another.

In the end it boils down to: Do you want to be able to think for yourself, not have someone prying at what you think or know? Or do you want a world where everyone well above you knows exactly how to methodically break down your rights, take just enough money to keep you living and not question your government, or what they can or cannot get away with based on what the average seems to think and/or know about a particular topic?

Imagine a meta-level "War on Iraq" but with everything. That's what happens when you give information away. Hard to understand the purpose of, likely built on bullshit, impossible for citizens to control.

So it infects the BIOS similar to this:

Except without your computer permanently dying.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Are you just trolling or are you going to actually make a point about exactly what Snowden has done wrong in your opinion?

There is no need to ask him.

Must be one of those :"He helped the terrorist and we have nothing to hide" kind of reply.

People are so deluded nowadays.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Right then, off to the moon in that case.

right on

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Snowden can go rot to hell.

Enjoy living under a totalitarianism regime. After all, you have nothing to hide......yet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If this is true then Microsoft are in on it seeing as Secure Boot is literally designed to prevent your boatloader from being modified by the OS.

I'm sorry but this is scaremongering nonsensical horse shit.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ofcourse they can, the BIOS is a piece of software.

Technically it's firmware.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The only time a BIOS can spy on you is if it's connected to the Internet. And you need drivers for that for normal BIOSes which run in an OS environment. With the newer ones(which are UEFI) that have access to the Internet, I can see this being more likely, but even so, the UEFI still needs to have the components in order for them to do it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

At this point, i don't even care.

I've become apathetic to 2 things.

Cancer-causing foods and the NSA spying on me.

Welp, it seems like they won :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

What is the next thing to spy on me? My toothbrush?

your fridge

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Why do people always say "I don't care if the government knows my fetish".

I figured the discourse was well beyond this point: apparently I was wrong.

The real concern here is that highly intrusive/bulk data collection will be abused. In the context of abuse, all bets are off. Even if you think you have done nothing that can be used against you, those interested in abusing such data will make something that you have done usable against you.

There are other concerns of course, many of them more realistic, but I hope that we can get past the "why should I care" argument.

There is no need to ask him.

Must be one of those :"He helped the terrorist and we have nothing to hide" kind of reply.

People are so deluded nowadays.

The funny part is that those people tend to be the same ones that claim to be literalists when it comes to the constitution... unless someone mentions the word "terrorist", in which case they immediately crap their pants and forget all about the 4th amendment.

This stinks to the high heavens. "Even the most tech savvy won't know". Really? Because if its sending data somewhere, my router has to be able to see it. If its able to cache EVERYTHING i've done offline, and send it the moment i am online, it has to be stored somewhere. Can't be memory, because that would be flushed upon power loss. Can't be in the bios, not enough space. Meaning it has to be stored on my disk somewhere, which would mean i would be able to detect it.

This looks like scare tactics to me. I need more proof before I believe this.

It gets stored in firmware for all devices on and attached to your motherboard apparently.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It does not matter how you sugar coat it, Snowden is no less guilty of espionage than any other individual caught stealing/disclosing controlled or classified information. With a security clearance you have an underlying duty to safeguard information that unauthorized disclosure could reasonably be expected to cause damage, serious, or exceptionally grave damage to the national security. His actions are no different than if he sold/gave the information to another country's government vice releasing it to journalists. If that had happened, I doubt we would be having this discussion now.

Take for example, the recent sentencing of an individual who was caught trying to provide sensitive information about the new Ford Class aircraft carrier to the Egyptian government. Same act of espionage, just a different receiver of the information. Yet somehow Snowden is painted in a completely different light by some whereas I don't think the same people would think it was ok for the other individual to provide sensitive information to the Egyptians.

As far as "GODSURGE" is concerned: The existence of different tools and cyber-weapons used by intelligence agencies does not instantly mean they are being used widespread on individuals.

+1 paranoia. True or not, I'm still a little shaken.

Right, I'm packing up and moving to the middle of the desert with no technology or communication devices. Anyone wanna tag along?

Drones.

/heretic

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono