Snowden Documentation: Your Motherboard Is Spying On You

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

This is old news, and the article is not strictly accurate. Here is an article about the same news from two years ago (Jan 2014), which explains it much better and more truthfully: http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/close-look-nsa-monitor-catalog-server-hacking/

Notably:

• It only affects a few specific models of server from OEMs
  • It requires physical access to the server, to flash the BIOS and install the vulnerability
  • It probably wouldn't work on newer servers due to additional security features of modern motherboards

The actual original source for the story posted here is http://chronicle.su/2014/08/17/snowden-unveils-nsa-god-mode-malware-that-lives-on-your-motherboard-and-can-not-be-traced/ (from August 2014). It has recently been copied by several other sites, despite no longer actually being news.

Sadly, you're in the majority. If people would still actually get pissed about things, we wouldn't be having these problems.

The thing is, with no progress in over a year, people eventually give up. As seen with Counter Strike (for anyone who hasn't been following they added dumb things to the game without listening to the community) yelling helps nothing, eventually the wave of "rollback" or "stahp or riot" will calm down.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I call BS. Most BIOS' don't even support ethernet connections, let alone collecting and sending user information over the internet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's a spot reserved for him in the ninth circle, he can share those spots with Judas, Brutus and Cassius.

Are you just trolling or are you going to actually make a point about exactly what Snowden has done wrong in your opinion?

You used the word "riot" on the internet

...drone strike incoming

Nope to populated, also in the US, so if they did it would be a real cause for mass rioting

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Snowden can go rot to hell.

How diluted are you?

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Nope to populated, also in the US, so if they did it would be a real cause for mass rioting

well they've already executed US citizens abroad without a trial, so this wouldn't really be that much of a stretch for them  ;) (btw, I was kinda joking)

There's a spot reserved for him in the ninth circle, he can share those spots with Judas, Brutus and Cassius.

I honestly don't feel Brutus should even be there honestly, the other two well yeah, but Brutus simply valued senatorial rule over his personal feelings for Julius

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

What will be the next discovery of NSA spying, do you even care about it anymore? Do you think it will ever stop?

I personally think that this is a step too far, but in the end there is nothing we can do about it, the difference is only that we now know what is going on, maybe it has been doing this for quite a few years. I stopped caring personally. I have nothing to hide, if they want to know my fetish, sure go ahead, and I am almost certain it will never stop.

Ya same, I've pretty much accepted it as a reality and have kind of stopped caring. As long as everyone's affected (it would be unsettling if I was singled out) I don't mind, as I don't think it will affect my life in a significant way.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

well they've already executed US citizens abroad without a trial, so this wouldn't really be that much of a stretch for them  ;) (btw, I was kinda joking)

Yeah I figured but I threw it out there to express the idea that the government should know their place or they will not maintain rule. They need to stop their corrupt and shady ways or they will lose the support of everyone.

Ya same, I've pretty much accepted it as a reality and have kind of stopped caring. As long as everyone's affected (it would be unsettling if I was singled out) I don't mind, as I don't think it will affect my life in a significant way.

You think the government collecting massive amounts of information on you has no potential to affect your life in the future? Let's just say that they wouldn't be spending billions of dollars to spy on you if they didn't intend to do something with the data.

or they will lose the support of everyone.

They already have, if you count approval ratings as evidence. And what has it led to? People now no longer vote. Which doesn't exactly help solve the problem.

Solution: reflash bios at boot like I do >.>

and don't use sketchy EPROM's with hidden MITM Asics 

Im not surprised at all TBH

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

You think the government collecting massive amounts of information on you has no potential to affect your life in the future? Let's just say that they wouldn't be spending billions of dollars to spy on you if they didn't intend to do something with the data.

Sure they might do something with the data, but what I'm saying is that whatever they do to it, will apply to everyone which makes the impact less disrupting to me as an individual (imo).

I'm not saying i dont mind that they're doing this, I still value my privacy and rights, but i don't see there's much i can do besides my usual duties as a citizen (voting, etc.). So I have accepted it.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Ok...I'll be off learning how to decompile EFI and program for it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

you will not be able to tell that the computer system has been infected with this vulnerability because since the only way to do it would require a keen eye, and a very expensive electron microscope

Bahahahaha

029b49eb3cd591c358591388625448ed.jpg

This stinks to the high heavens. "Even the most tech savvy won't know". Really? Because if its sending data somewhere, my router has to be able to see it. If its able to cache EVERYTHING i've done offline, and send it the moment i am online, it has to be stored somewhere. Can't be memory, because that would be flushed upon power loss. Can't be in the bios, not enough space. Meaning it has to be stored on my disk somewhere, which would mean i would be able to detect it.

This looks like scare tactics to me. I need more proof before I believe this.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

am i gonna get done for pirating games????

/s

they are probably focusing on the people distributing the games 

+1 paranoia. True or not, I'm still a little shaken.

Right, I'm packing up and moving to the middle of the desert with no technology or communication devices. Anyone wanna tag along?

statistics have shown that armed american forces and their bombs like to show up in deserts too, might want to rethink that

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Hollywood is the more likely ones to press DMCA crap, games not so much, movies are another story, especially if that sadistic mouse is invloved

did you see the "/s"?

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

I'd be very surprised if the NSA's nefarious activities are going through .gov adrresses. Regarding Microsoft, I suggest watching Barnacules's recent video on how to stop Windows 10 from spying on you.

thanks for that. i didnt think they are going through .gov addresses but it was more of an example. i might have to intentionaly get a system infected and hook it up to a pfsence machine and see what adresses it sends data to. maybe i can use something like a filter on my router to whitelist addresses instead of black list. 

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

statistics have shown that armed american forces and their bombs like to show up in deserts too, might want to rethink that

Right then, off to the moon in that case.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Snowden can go rot to hell.

he hasn't done much wrong. He fits under "ethical hacker" to me, and I support ethical hackers A LOT.

+1 paranoia. True or not, I'm still a little shaken.

Right, I'm packing up and moving to the middle of the desert with no technology or communication devices. Anyone wanna tag along?

Sure... Do you have a lot of water at disposal?