Seattle's Ferris wheel hit by drone

tim0901

A drone crashed into the Ferris wheel during the afternoon on Wednesday 11th of November. 

There were no injuries in the incident in which the drone hit the wheel and then a table as it fell to the ground.
The area on Seattle's Pier 57 is understood to be a no-fly zone.

Pictures of the drone surfacing online suggest the drone in question likely was a DJI Phantom 3.

Sounds like another idiot with a drone...shouldn't it be common sense not to fly them in a no fly zone? 

Sources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34797182

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/11/drone-collides-with-seattle-ferris-wheel-busts-through-plastic-table/

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

why is an accident in seattle being reported on a BBC website? and why was this the site you picked?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

It's a quadcopter. Not a drone. Damn it. People trying to showoff calling quads drones and now hobby lovers all over the world getting into shit with drone laws.

And stop flying your toys over no-fly zones and being stupid.

The website seems to think it's a drone https://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3

i hope drones and quad copters become really hard to get.

they are neat and all that, but they are heady and fast enough to kill or critically injure a human being. Stuff that you can intentionally or accidentally kill someone with from afar should be regulated heavily.

It's a quadcopter. Not a drone. Damn it. People trying to showoff calling quads drones and now hobby lovers all over the world getting into shit with drone laws.

Just throwing this out there:

Isn't it funny how people improperly use drones and cause Ferris wheel crashes (but no fatalities) will likely result in stricter regulations and possible banning of drones/flying RC devices....

...but the improper use of guns which cause several fatalities will see no stricter regulations whatsoever?

I thought the Ferris Wheel broke loose from its base and terrorize a whole city, sadly what was not the case. :(

Great, 1 idiot to ruin it for everyone.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Please post an official, industry standard accepted definition, that says that Drones and Quadcopters are not interchangeable?

All Quadcopters are Drones. But not all Drones are Quadcopters. A drone can be fixed wing, helicopter, quadcopter, etc. A drone is simply an Unmanned Ariel Vehicle. Which, a quadcopter certainly is.

When you get right down to it, what's the difference between a military UAV and a quadcopter? Size, mostly. They both run off the same basic principles. Remotely controlled vehicles that fly in some manner. Newer UAV's can be 100% programming/autopilot based, with no remote control or user intervention, but you can build a Quadcopter that does the same thing too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Isn't it funny how people improperly use drones and cause Ferris wheel crashes (but no fatalities) will likely result in stricter regulations and possible banning of drones/flying RC devices....

...but the improper use of guns which cause several fatalities will see no stricter regulations whatsoever?

All moral and personal arguments aside; this is entirely because of money to be gained, and the impossible task of getting all the guns from everyone.

I am so sick of people running their drones, quadcopters, or whatever unmanned, remotely controlled, aerial vehicles they fancy into everything. Ugh, I guess it's just the nature of life and humanity in general that a few fringe people are going to do stupid things, though I wish they wouldn't affect everyone else so harshly. Bitter disappointment e-ver-y time. In any case, I doubt more regulations on drones are gonna do anything here. As I said, it's just a few individuals who do stupid things like this; more than likely laws aren't going to deter those people.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Great. More ammo that will stop me from flying my remote control helicopter with the ghetto button camera it (modified to be wireless-the 9V battery pack helps a lot with controlling the damn thing-the motor was to powerful).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Another moron helping destroy the fun for others who actually enjoy their hobby.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

i hope drones and quad copters become really hard to get.

they are neat and all that, but they are heady and fast enough to kill or critically injure a human being. Stuff that you can intentionally or accidentally kill someone with from afar should be regulated heavily.

UM NO 

You think the left in this country (the US) isn't fighting for strict gun legislation and bans?

The only reason drone legislation can slip through is because they're not as popular, prevalent or as widespread as guns. And the gun topic is a whole different one in itself, and one that has no place being argued over on a tech forum. And yes, you can probably tell where I stand.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

shouldn't it be common sense not to fly them in a no fly zone? 

Rule of law means nothing to most people, they'll follow the rules that make sense to them and ignore the rest without bothering to understand them.

Rule of law means nothing to most people, they'll follow the rules that make sense to them and ignore the rest without bothering to understand them.

It's called post-conventional morality.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

my problem with gun regulations is that they likely wont help... and at the end of the day all the bad guys will have the weaponry. I just feel like things wouldn't change. It's like torrents -- yes they are illegal, but people will constantly find ways to get their hands on them. even when sources are smashed, new ones come up. It just never ends, and the *evil* people will always get what they want.

But at the same time accidents involving mentally challenged people and/or un-knowledgeable people will happen less. Which is an awesome thing!

I just don't know... so hard to balance between these two things.. I also feel like the day people need to protect themselves for whatever reason... They won't be able to. I have always laughed and said that if someone decided to invade the US that they have way more than the military to worry about with all of our citizens carrying weapons around daily lol. But I am totally aware that this can be a bad thing. It's like I can't take either side!

don't want to start a rant on guns vs. no guns.. but just thought I'd throw an unvoiced opinion out there... 

But on-topic; I don't see why people just get the simple app on their phone and check for no-fly zones before the fly their drones/quadcopters. It's so simple and easy to do. Just fly your stuff in your favorite place away from these areas. But yeah, drones often don't cause anything more than minor injuries, and guns are a way more serious topic. Perhaps this is going too far? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

and what makes you think regulating drones will stop this incidents?! people will still be stupid

car related deaths are above a million across the globe, and yet I don't see stricter rules and regulations

gun, drone car - these aren't the problem, the problem is the people

and what makes you think regulating drones will stop this incidents?! people will still be stupid

If people can't get drones as easily, less people who don't know how to use them will use them, so less incidents will happen. It's that easy.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

If people can't get drones as easily, less people who don't know how to use them will use them, so less incidents will happen. It's that easy.

UK has very strict gun control, people killing each other stopped?! no! not even obtaining illegal firearms

UK has very strict gun control, people killing each other stopped?! no! not even obtaining illegal firearms

The whole "banning weapons just makes people get them illegally" argument isn't really as true as you'd like, I'll just let this speak for itself. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

cut the crap

the terrorist attack in France, Charlie Hebdo, was done with firearms, yes!? yes

the train incident on August 21, France, was done with firearms, yes?! yes

does France have very strict gun control laws, yes?! yes

what the fuck are you on about

cut the crapthe terrorist attack in France, Charlie Hebdo, was done with firearms, yes!? yesthe train incident on August 21, France, was done with firearms, yes?! yesdoes France have very strict gun control laws, yes?! yeswhat the fuck are you on about

So two different incidents are a stronger argument than the statistics of all murders committed with firearms. Riiiiiiight...