CoD Black Ops III - 12 GB RAM and GTX 980Ti not enough

I don't know how true or realistic this is. I played the beta and didn't experience any issues like that at 1080p. Granted it was beta, but idk. Could just be a bug because it was running as smooth as butter for me during beta.

That's not even 3GB quality.  Why the fuck is the game so "bright"?  It looks like it is made of PlayDoh

I don't remember the game looking that bad when I played it.

But who plays cod on pc.......

and uses a 980 ti or titan to do so. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

That's not even 3GB quality.  Why the fuck is the game so "bright"?  It looks like it is made of PlayDoh

It is, Looks REALLY good. Rock textures like 1080p.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

COD pushing the boundaries of graphics power. What a time to be alive BrokeBack

Is this due to bad porting, coding and cause of that console unified memory all together? Cause I can't see game like this to need that much RAM and VRAM really.
I also noticed this with CoD:AW being hungry for VRAM on my R9 290

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Is this due to bad porting, coding and cause of that console unified memory all together? Cause I can't see game like this to need that much RAM and VRAM really.

I also noticed this with CoD:AW being hungry for VRAM on my R9 290

As a game programmer, I call this the "Unity Effect".  While this game not be using Unity as the engine, by "Unity Effect" I mean that the developers working on this game are likely low-level inexperienced programmers using an engine which allows this to occur.

Unity at face-value is a good tool for making games.  But to a degree, it makes it super simple to make something with as little effort as possible.  The result is that a bunch of Unity games are low-grade crap simply because it is a bunch of artists who could not find a good programmer, and end up mashing a bunch of scripts together that were downloaded from a forum.  The end result is a game which make occasionally look acceptable in screenshots, but in reality, the game and gameplay is atrocious.  This is usually due to the fact that many things are implemented horribly using inefficient methods, optimization strategies be damned, and in the end it's all about beefing-up an artists' portfolio, making the game basically an art showcase rather than a long-lasting game with rich gameplay.

Applying this to CoD Blops 3, the engine itself was likely developed by intelligent programmers over a series of years, but occurring in the past.  Due to the re-hashing of this series, we've probably hit a state where there is actually no one left to properly implement this game efficiently.  For reasons unknown (though guessing that it has to do with increasing profits), the core programming team left are a bunch of < 3-5 year programmers with little experience who just end up mashing things together like over-stuffing potatoes in a sack, causing it to tear and become damaged.

Swapping loaded textures between memory?  "That's poppycock!" proclaims the so-called lead programmer of the project.  The PS4 gives us incredibly large memory pools in which to load ALL textures without having to swap.  "But sir," interjects a co-op student.  "What about when we have to port this to PC?"  The lead programmer replies "Peh."

"'Peh?' You say!?" says the co-op student with inquisitive shock.

"The time it takes us to become smart and do things properly would cost too much.  We are better off just jamming this crap out on PC.  After all, the hardware vendors will love us because people will mindlessly try to upgrade their PCs and it still won't be enough.  At least, that's what my manager tells me," explains the lead programmer.

-snip-

i have to say this was very entertaining to read. please draw this into a comic strip or something

When you just keep piling up crap on top of whats still essentially a modified quake 3 engine, of course it's gonna be bloated and bleeding resources everywhere. They're just banking on the system requirements being massively overkill on modern gaming PCs to avoid having to invest in a new fucking engine: like 2 decades of building up a sand castle that's just now crumbling all over the place.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12GB ram and a 980ti not enough? Game doesn't even look good, just some shitty game coding if you ask me.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Who would have ever guessed AMD with it's 8gb 390x was not stupid after all :D

And tbh can't give a damn, it's cod... who cares, really?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

When you just keep piling up crap on top of whats still essentially a modified quake 3 engine, of course it's gonna be bloated and bleeding resources everywhere. They're just banking on the system requirements being massively overkill on modern gaming PCs to avoid having to invest in a new fucking engine: like 2 decades of building up a sand castle that's just now crumbling all over the place.

Killing Floor 2 is on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3 and it runs exceptionally well for how it looks. UE3 is older than the Quake 3 engine (according to Wikipedia if I'm reading correctly) and it's also modified. So I don't think this is an engine age issue, if there's even an issue.

I'm not buying this information until the game actually releases and we see what actual players are reporting.

Killing Floor 2 is on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3 and it runs exceptionally well for how it looks. UE3 is older than the Quake 3 engine (according to Wikipedia if I'm reading correctly) and it's also modified. So I don't think this is an engine age issue, if there's even an issue.

I'm not buying this information until the game actually releases and we see what actual players are reporting.

Good point and I should partially concede this: A dedicated, talented dev can usually reuse an engine without much issues. But we go back to @Xorbot 's point on the previous page: Doubt Activision are hiring talented, experienced devs up to the task and just hire newbies piling crap on top of the old version of the engine. This should be self evident after they chased out most of the talent on Infinity Ward and just kept the name only but not the devs for example.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Good point and I should partially concede this: A dedicated, talented dev can usually reuse an engine without much issues. But we go back to @Xorbot 's point on the previous page: Doubt Activision are hiring talented, experienced devs up to the task and just hire newbies piling crap on top of the old version of the engine. This should be self evident after they chased out most of the talent on Infinity Ward and just kept the name only but not the devs for example.

Probably.

Another thing to take into account is it might be a launch hiccup, assuming this is actually an issue. I really wanna see an actual video of it happening, personally.

That's not even 3GB quality.  Why the fuck is the game so "bright"?  It looks like it is made of PlayDo

Looks like downgraded Crysis 1...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Probably.

Another thing to take into account is it might be a launch hiccup, assuming this is actually an issue. I really wanna see an actual video of it happening, personally.

Emm yes and no. Yes they might fix it later but I'm not willing to minimize this as a "launch hiccup" after several broken launches we should not just expect games to run poorly at launch and use this much resources. The expectation from companies should be working products, specially with Steam and Origin having refund policies in place there's no reason to just take it in so many words.

That's how you eventually get Arkham Knights otherwise.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lol, this game looks like piece of shit. Wtf, who made this crap? I mean, what made this crap??

They should better called it Call of D*cks: Ballad of Blobs III

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I still have yet to bust through 2.5 gigs on my 7950 lel

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

everything since ghosts was a shit port that artificially inflated ram usage

Ghosts Single player campaign ran so terrible for no reason at all... that's when I officially gave up on COD even as free  (Torrent) game.

I tried the beta to play with my little brother and it was unplayable for me, I just assumed it was an sli issue because of beta..

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k