CoD Black Ops III - 12 GB RAM and GTX 980Ti not enough

I tried the beta to play with my little brother and it was unplayable for me, I just assumed it was an sli issue because of beta..

Considering I had no issues on a single 780, yes, it was probably an SLI issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Considering I had no issues on a single 780, yes, it was probably an SLI issue. 

It was a beta, I can't really judge it too harshly..

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Ahhhhh, so that's why IGN rates all AAA titles as so good... it's not an approval rating, it's how much MEMORY the damn thing uses... 10/10GB.

Why are their programmers so sloppy at optimizing games like this? Are they running uncompressed 8K textures downsampled to 1440p? Are they being whipped for not making deadlines, so they put together a load of spaghetti code and call it a day?

AAA programmers, you need to work for a non-sociopathic company. Your companies do not care about their customers and it's going to lose them the market.

Start with an optimal framework and most of the optimization is done as you program. Minimalistic programming exists for a reason. As for dumping everything into the dGPU memory pool, I can see it being nice to not have to go back to system memory much, if ever, but I really would prefer we focus on realistic textures and increased polygon counts to make curves better than ever for now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

eww cod, I gave up on that after mw2 came out

My GTX 980 had no vRAM problems @ 1080p on Ultra everything in the beta. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The game is running on the IW engine. It's a heavily modified fork of the IDTech 3 engine just like Titanfall ran on a heavily modified fork of the Source engine.

And it runs fine on the consoles because the settings are bumped far down. Keep in mind that BO3 is running at 1600x900 on XB1 and 1080p on PS4 (based on the Beta.) Remember, these tests were done at 1440p on max settings.

Still, this is really shit.

woah.. Can we have that version of source publicly released... That's one helluva a upgrade

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They do look nice BUT HELL NO DOES THAT LOOK LIKE IT NEEDS 8GB+ VRAM

that looks like it was taken from MP, MP will not be at the same quality as the SP

There does appear to be a serious memory issue though (which will probably get fixed shortly), I've crashed three times in about 15 minutes, each time because I ran out of memory. With that one exception, I'm not noticing any performance issues on my 780 (with 3gb of VRAM). I'm able to maintain 110fps with everything on medium and FOV at 100 (everything at ultra knocks me to 60~ I think), but seeing as I have a 144hz and only a single 780...well, yeah. 

There's also some strange thing going on where after you crash and reopen the game my CPU maxes out in the main menu and I get stuck there for a minute~. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

eww cod, I gave up on that after mw2 came out

I played Modern Warfare 2 for 2 weeks and there was already many, many hackers....

That's what COD gave us loyal PC players. F them. Thanks for the private servers dipshits.

Can't believe they took something OUT of a game to cater to console players and ruined a pretty solid game at one time.

Although by now I'm sure I would have been tired of it but still.

MW1 was the last.... COD for me that was actually fun. Private servers, people we saw all the time logged in... You got to know all the good players.

Glad I was one of them, lol.

I played Modern Warfare 2 for 2 weeks and there was already many, many hackers....

That's what COD gave us loyal PC players. F them. Thanks for the private servers dipshits.

Can't believe they took something OUT of a game to cater to console players and ruined a pretty solid game at one time.

Although by now I'm sure I would have been tired of it but still.

MW1 was the last.... COD for me that was actually fun. Private servers, people we saw all the time logged in... You got to know all the good players.

Glad I was one of them, lol.

oh I played on console at that time mw2 because my pc bricked at me then, after that I gave my ps2/3 to my brother and I made my pc again and have never gone back 

Hmmm don't and never will again care about CoD but in what world is peak memory usage "the higher the better"? Optimization means the LOWER the better, what idiot even made that graph?

CoD stopped being cool after CoD4. No CoD will ever be good again because that cow was milked dry ages ago. That people even buy that garbage is way beyond me....

I have no signature

It's getting shit reviews on steam. Bad port is bad. Chalk up another loss for PC gamers. <.<

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

The steam review section exploded like Nuketown!

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

I'm curious to know what they changed considering I had no issues running the Beta. But considering the only issue I've had is RAM (and poor scaling between Low an ultra settings -- although still easily sitting around 80fps at ultra), that's not too bad...8gb of RAM is cheap is an upgraded that will probably have needed to be done at some point before I upgrade my system anyway. Regardless, I'll play at low settings (120~fps) for now bypassing the memory issue and hopefully it will be fixed; otherwise, I guess I'll just have to buy another 8gb of RAM. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

As a game programmer, I call this the "Unity Effect".  While this game not be using Unity as the engine, by "Unity Effect" I mean that the developers working on this game are likely low-level inexperienced programmers using an engine which allows this to occur.

Unity at face-value is a good tool for making games.  But to a degree, it makes it super simple to make something with as little effort as possible.  The result is that a bunch of Unity games are low-grade crap simply because it is a bunch of artists who could not find a good programmer, and end up mashing a bunch of scripts together that were downloaded from a forum.  The end result is a game which make occasionally look acceptable in screenshots, but in reality, the game and gameplay is atrocious.  This is usually due to the fact that many things are implemented horribly using inefficient methods, optimization strategies be damned, and in the end it's all about beefing-up an artists' portfolio, making the game basically an art showcase rather than a long-lasting game with rich gameplay.

Applying this to CoD Blops 3, the engine itself was likely developed by intelligent programmers over a series of years, but occurring in the past.  Due to the re-hashing of this series, we've probably hit a state where there is actually no one left to properly implement this game efficiently.  For reasons unknown (though guessing that it has to do with increasing profits), the core programming team left are a bunch of < 3-5 year programmers with little experience who just end up mashing things together like over-stuffing potatoes in a sack, causing it to tear and become damaged.

Swapping loaded textures between memory?  "That's poppycock!" proclaims the so-called lead programmer of the project.  The PS4 gives us incredibly large memory pools in which to load ALL textures without having to swap.  "But sir," interjects a co-op student.  "What about when we have to port this to PC?"  The lead programmer replies "Peh."

"'Peh?' You say!?" says the co-op student with inquisitive shock.

"The time it takes us to become smart and do things properly would cost too much.  We are better off just jamming this crap out on PC.  After all, the hardware vendors will love us because people will mindlessly try to upgrade their PCs and it still won't be enough.  At least, that's what my manager tells me," explains the lead programmer.

Serious issue these days. Games should simply be made for PC initially then port by need. I hope for gaming industry and people who love video games that crap like this won't continue.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Serious issue these days. Games should simply be made for PC initially then port by need. I hope for gaming industry and people who love video games that crap like this won't continue.

Except that they 'shouldn't' be. For PC gamers it would be better if that were the case, but the majority of game sales (and profits) come from consoles. So consoles SHOULD be their first priority; after all, an underfunded studio is worse for both the company and for the consumer. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Except that they 'shouldn't' be. For PC gamers it would be better if that were the case, but the majority of game sales (and profits) come from consoles. So consoles SHOULD be their first priority; after all, an underfunded studio is worse for both the company and for the consumer. 

But thing is and it makes more sense just to make game for PC first then dumb it down for console. That is if it's meant for that game to be cross platform and not just for one. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

But thing is and it makes more sense just to make game for PC first then dumb it down for console. That is if it's meant for that game to be cross platform and not just for one. 

But not really. By developing it for consoles they can optimize games to run as best as they can on consoles, and then port it over to PC. Doing it the other way around would improve PC performance at the expense of console performance (which again, would be bad). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's not even 3GB quality.  Why the fuck is the game so "bright"?  It looks like it is made of PlayDoh

It looks like my ass if it was rubbed with baby oil. Its barely even 2gb quality even at 4K.

"The time it takes us to become smart and do things properly would cost too much.  We are better off just jamming this crap out on PC.  After all, the hardware vendors will love us because people will mindlessly try to upgrade their PCs and it still won't be enough.  At least, that's what my manager tells me," explains the lead programmer.

Every motherfucking dev /+- publisher who have excessive desire for cash. Cheap out on effort and maybe even the budget because of fanboys who still think its the shit. 

But not really. By developing it for consoles they can optimize games to run as best as they can on consoles, and then port it over to PC. Doing it the other way around would improve PC performance at the expense of console performance (which again, would be bad). 

What if the games were optimized to run on a PC thats objectively worse than a PS4, XBOne, or even the WiiU? Wouldn't that be a win for console and PC gamers of today?

all hail

At least I know I can play it well on 1080p :P

Currently praying that my 770 can stand up to the task :unsure:

But a bit more on topic to the thread, who the fuck uses 12GB of RAM nowadays, 99% of people either have 8, 16, or 32GB configurations lmao

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)