AMD's Phil Rogers jumps to nVidia

zMeul

Overclocked 970 loses to overclocked 390.

If its in the category of "can i use it instead of central heating" then definitely. No matter how good of a cooler, when your GPU when overclocked chugs out 350-400W of heat, you will feel it.

For now, maybe. Come back and say that when that 3.5Gb isn't sufficient enough. (Which isn't far off.)  ;)

It is. As long as Ubisoft and EA decide to properly code their engines, 3GB is more than enough VRAM for anything up to including 4K. which means atleast a few more years (which honestly is more than a life cycle of a midrange card)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

The difference between generations is small from Sandy Bridge and onward. Lynnfield, Clarkfield and Bloomfield are FAR weaker than Sandy Bridge, and it is a massive jump from them to any later generation.

not really, Nahalem (Lynnfield) is about 10-12% slower than Sandy Bridge. Haswell is then 10-15% faster than SB. not really an anomaly as people put it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If its in the category of "can i use it instead of central heating" then definitely. No matter how good of a cooler, when your GPU when overclocked chugs out 350-400W of heat, you will feel it.

It is. As long as Ubisoft and EA decide to properly code their engines, 3GB is more than enough VRAM for anything up to including 4K. which means atleast a few more years (which honestly is more than a life cycle of a midrange card)

No, I'm pretty sure I was talking about performance. Thanks for caring about my well being, but I think I'll be alright.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I think you're over exaggerating. the 390 OCed produces a lot of heat, yes but TDP is an arbitrary number which the engineer who designed it made up - a different engineer might rate the 390 as 200W TDP or 500W TDP - it's down to personal opinion as there is no unified source on the matter.

As for Performance - 390 is a better bet, both in DX11 and DX12. 970 is severely bandwidth starved (being a 224-bit 3.5GB + 32-bit 0.5GB card) and needs OCing to be remotely able to compete with a 390

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I think you're over exaggerating. the 390 OCed produces a lot of heat, yes but TDP is an arbitrary number which the engineer who designed it made up - a different engineer might rate the 390 as 200W TDP or 500W TDP - it's down to personal opinion as there is no unified source on the matter.

As for Performance - 390 is a better bet, both in DX11 and DX12. 970 is severely bandwidth starved (being a 224-bit 3.5GB + 32-bit 0.5GB card) and needs OCing to be remotely able to compete with a 390

It's not that TDP is an arbitrary number, its that different companies gauge it differently. Some companies will list the TDP as the absolute maximum heat a processor will use, while others will list it as the general heat produced under normal circumstances. This is where we get mix-ups. Intel tried to change this by listing what is called a "Scenario Design Power" which basically means "if you use the product exactly how it is designed, this is what you should expect". It is by no means a way to gauge the absolute maximum heat a processor can produce, but it helps having more points of reference.

To be honest with you, as long as the cooler gets the job done, TDP is not important for most users. If you are an ITX fanatic, it might have a huge impact on you, but for normal, high air flow cases or people that throw waterblocks at things, it won't make a difference. After all, most cards are tested and designed to work at their rated speeds. 

Also, before anyone dares to mention it, no, the Titan cards did not "throttle" that bad. Yes, they throttled, but they never fell outside of their advertised clock speeds, and in some cases, still went above their rated boost speeds. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I have no issues with drivers, heat or anything on my 750 TI by EVGA. So thanks for the assumptions people. All the posts after the og are basically memes

this is nothing new i bet there are plenty of people at amd that worked for nvidia

Uh oh. AMD, please get stuff together and make great CPUs/GPUs again...

their current gpu lineup is very good

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why do you find that even remotely funny, we all know that AMD "sinking" isn't a good thing.

Yeah remember that 480 and 580?

giphy.gif

Don't forget the GTX 285, she was a warm one.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

At least he makes his stance clear up front unlike a lot of people who continue to deny their bias. Either way the facts are being reported. So if you don't want him reporting the facts, do it before him.

yeah, I guess so. It just gets a bit over the top when anything bad about AMD is garunteed to be his post.

- snip-

yeah, I guess so. It just gets a bit over the top when anything bad about AMD is garunteed to be his post.

Well - I personally find his posts sort of silly - I mean - disclosing resent is one thing, doing it like a 12-year-old is another :D

Don't forget the GTX 285, she was a warm one.

LvYlWiv.jpg

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Im talking about First gen i5/i7 series, which, only have about a 25% difference in ipc over a modern 6600.

But, that also tells you something.

First Gen i5/i7s are actually still in use mainly because games haven't outgrown them and most upgrades have been to the GPU and PSU and leaving the mobo and cpu alone.

5 years is really the golden time to upgrade, any sooner and you're seeing little improvements in ipc but big improvements in features.  

I'm building a z170/sma8 rig now but will be upgrading to skylake-e in year for more ram and core count, and skylake has more features on board that I need than x99 had to offer minus more ram and cores.  Even still, an MSI Z170 M9 ACK, a i7-6700k, titan-x, 32gb of ddr4 memory, and everything watercooled minus ram(there's like.. no gains just bling factor) will be plenty fast, adding more cores and ram would just help out rendering times, but I don't make my money on making videos I make my living off of web development, design, and logos. 

But back on point, if you want a significant upgrade than it's best to wait a couple of years and just check up on it to see if an upgrade is worth it.   I went from a core 2 duo to an i7-3820 in 2012 and that was a pretty big upgrade, and again from an 8800 Ultra to a 680 boosted game performance by a decent margin.   It will be awhile before I need to upgrade my Titan-X, and if I need moar powah I can just add another GPU (and another $160 for water cooling) for gpu performance.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Well - I personally find his posts sort of silly - I mean - disclosing resent is one thing, doing it like a 12-year-old is another :D

LvYlWiv.jpg

I thought that was Intel when trying to make a faster Pentium 4.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I thought that was Intel when trying to make a faster Pentium 4.

No no no. You're both wrong. It's AMD when they first tested the FX 9590 and didn't have a strong enough heat sink.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No no no. You're both wrong. It's AMD when they first tested the FX 9590 and didn't have a strong enough heat sink.

I found leaked footage of that very fire.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.