Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row

Turns out Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda, and Mitsubishi have joined the fray, because it was discovered that their cars were emitting more pollutants on road tests than regulatory tests. However, it's important to note that unlike Volkswagen, these companies have not created a system that detects if the vehicles were being tested; rather, the cars were designed to perform better in a lab than on the road.

I doubt there's gonna be recalls on the cars here probably due to some technicality or another, but obviously the standards and testing methodologies are gonna have to change.

"There is no evidence of illegal activity, such as the "defeat devices" used by Volkswagen."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row?CMP=twt_gu

Funny part is that French vehicles which are notorious for failing because of all the emission prevention systems breaking are actually the ones that are now not under suspicion. Guess they actually were the only ones not cheating.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Atleast its not like Volkswagen

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Funny part is that French vehicles which are notorious for failing because of all the emission prevention systems breaking are actually the ones that are now not under suspicion. Guess they actually were the only ones not cheating.

Funny part about that is that the EGR on the engine in my 2002 Peugeot 406 (2.0 HDi) is notorious for buildup of soot in the valves. They are fully aware of it though, which is why they've made the rocker arms so that they break instead of the valve itself breaking or the valve knocking a hole in the piston. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

not mazda , man i want a new rotary plz 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

not mazda , man i want a new rotary plz 

rotary engines will not happen, they can't reach the emission standards. Turbo is where it is at.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well duh, that is how those things go that is not making stuff purposefully preforming differently. Its just optimizing it for a certain use case that simply doesnt reflect the real world. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

rotary engines will not happen, they can't reach the emission standards. Turbo is where it is at.

i dont care about emissions 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This isn't really surprising. When the rule is "Pass this test" then of course manufacturers will make cars to pass that test. If the test doesn't represent how the vehicle will be used in the real world then of course it won't represent how the vehicle acts in the real world. That's certainly not the same as "Detect tests are being done" and I'm guessing the difference isn't going to be 40x.

Damn that sucks, I love Honda. I wonder what models/years are effected? Guess we'll see how all this plays out, hopefully it goes well for everyone, but VW seems to be the one on the chopping block.

This isn't really surprising. When the rule is "Pass this test" then of course manufacturers will make cars to pass that test. If the test doesn't represent how the vehicle will be used in the real world then of course it won't represent how the vehicle acts in the real world. That's certainly not the same as "Detect tests are being done" and I'm guessing the difference isn't going to be 40x.

This sounds oddly familiar to the U.S. education system....

but governments do 

If they realy do, then they should go after factories or planes, not cars.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

If they realy do, then they should go after factories or planes, not cars.

What do you mean "factories"? Only factories I can think of are the ones that just produce stuff, like cars, electronics and such. If you're talking about things like an oil burning power plant, those are on the way out. Many countries use cleaner sources of power too. Japan has a bit of nuclear power, and I think Germany has wind and hydro power. EDIT: Germany only has 11% renewable energy in their country as per 2008. Might be a lot more now, but who knows. EDIT again: Japan is still going strong on oil burning. 

Planes: There aren't as many of them as there are cars. If you really want to go after the big greenhouse gas sources, go for cows. But hey, they aren't machines, you can't just reduce their output with a new design. 

Edited by Lauen

If you really want to go after the big greenhouse gas sources, go for cows. But hey, they aren't machines, you can't just reduce their output with a new design.

Well... Maybe you could, but people would freak out about it.

Got sad when I saw Honda on there.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

-snip

Planes: There aren't as many of them as there are cars. If you really want to go after the big greenhouse gas sources, go for cows. But hey, they aren't machines, you can't just reduce their output with a new design. 

Have you not heard of the Centi-cow?

95771646bd8a00f833e9e8fcfc5cae81c455272d

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What do you mean "factories"? Only factories I can think of are the ones that just produce stuff, like cars, electronics and such. If you're talking about things like an oil burning power plant, those are on the way out. Many countries use cleaner sources of power too. Japan has a bit of nuclear power, and I think Germany has wind and hydro power. EDIT: Germany only has 11% renewable energy in their country as per 2008. Might be a lot more now, but who knows. EDIT again: Japan is still going strong on oil burning.

Well with factories I mean all of them ( not saying that their all equally bad ). Well planes and ships are less than cars, but they burn helluva more fuel than cars.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Oh no , Mazda. I really like their cars.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well with factories I mean all of them ( not saying that their all equally bad ). Well planes and ships are less than cars, but they burn helluva more fuel than cars.

I agree with you on planes and ships but sadly we can't do anything about it. We're just people, and even though most countries are democratic, we probably won't be able to make a change. 

Oh no , Mazda. I really like their cars.

About to pickup a Mazda3 5door myself.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

That moment when ur parents both drive a Mercedes <_<

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Is it me or am I not the only one seeing a trend here... these are all imports cars to the US...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Is it me or am I not the only one seeing a trend here... these are all imports cars to the US...

Well this whole affair revolves around diesels, which US manufacturers don't really do, at least not for the domestic market.

About to pickup a Mazda3 5door myself.

have you test driven one yet? i found them to be really uncomfortable, which sucked because everything else was perfect about it (test drove the 2.5L GT Model, so cloth seats might be nicer, was fun getting wheel spin in third but that just means it needs better tyres)

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."