Volvo will claim full liability in case of self-driving car crash

Rune

Source: The Verge

volvo-drive-me-1.0.gif

Part of that slow-moving regulatory framework needs to capture how liability works in an autonomous world — who takes the blame when a car controlled by a computer gets into a crash? Volvo says in its statement that it "will accept full liability whenever one if its cars is in autonomous mode," which is really, really big news — most of the conversation around autonomous liability has been in posing questions, not answering them, so having automakers take full responsibility could go a long way toward simplifying the rules of a self-driving road.

To that end, Volvo also says that it "regards the hacking of a car as a criminal offense," which falls in line with a long tradition of automakers trying to keep people out of the code that runs their vehicles.

So as long as you don't tinker with the car and allow it to be fully autonomously in control, if you get into a crash Volvo will say it is their fault. This is the kind of thing that we need to get automated cars on the road and dangerous drivers off. I hope the transition is quick. I can see a lot of human drivers crashing into the machine ones because they are actually following the law while the humans aren't.

snip

Good publicity to sell more cars. And genuinely a nice touch if followed through with in a timely fashion if/when applicable.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

that gif alone makes me terrified for the motoring future.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

And if you ever crash and it was your fault or break traffic rules you wont get your license suspended, but instead will have to use a self driving car and can no longer control it yourself.

And if you ever crash and it was your fault or break traffic rules you wont get your license suspended, but instead will have to use a self driving car and can no longer control it yourself.

What's so bad with that? As long as you can input a destination I see no difference.

hmmm.. cool. Won't help if im dead though

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Self driving cars are a bad thing that will only lead to bad things.

People are 1000x worse at driving than a machine could be.

Why are airplanes safer? 1. Because there are less of them. 2. Because the drivers JOB is driving them.

I'd take a machine over a human any day where my safety is concerned.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Why are airplanes safer? 1. Because there are less of them. 2. Because the drivers JOB is driving them.

Yep. It seems to me that the only people who don't want self-driving cars are those who selfishly value the ability to drive themselves over the safety of everyone.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Good old Valve, really helping consumers ^_^

...Volvo...

And looking at the article, this is a nice thing to see and hopefully other manufacturers will follow.

Sig under construction.

No crash involving a self driving car was caused by the computer so far

Watch "Humans need not apply".

Thats pretty useful as I'm sure there will be accidents and that would be the thing stopping me from going in one of these cars.

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

Yep. It seems to me that the only people who don't want self-driving cars are those who selfishly value the ability to drive themselves over the safety of everyone.

I'm a pretty safe driver, I'm more confident that I can keep myself and others safe over a computer.

Not only that, who are you to call someone selfish?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

No crash involving a self driving car was caused by the computer so far

Watch "Humans need not apply".

I'm not watching anything.

Also, how many self driving cars are out and about in the real world? Not enough to say they're 100% safe.

Привет товарищ ))))

I'm not watching anything.

Also, how many self driving cars are out and about in the real world? Not enough to say they're 100% safe.

Google's driverless cars alone have logged over 2 million miles traveled without a computer-responsible accident.

(3 accidents while their human passenger was in charge of the car, and 1 more where it acted properly and was rear-ended anyways).

How many miles have you driven? How can you know how safe you are....

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'm a pretty safe driver, I'm more confident that I can keep myself and others safe over a computer.

Not only that, who are you to call someone selfish?

People like you will keep this great tech getting in the hands of everyone. Computer will always make less mistakes than a human and if you want to educate yourself, watch "Humans need not apply" or keep being ignorant.

Human drivers are a bad thing and have lead to nothing but bad things. Like have you watched a guy decide to commit suicide on a highway and take another driver on the opposite side with him? Because I have.

The sooner the human element is taken out of vehicles, the sooner I'll feel safe traveling.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Does this mean insurance will not be needed in the future?

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

Human drivers are a bad thing and have lead to nothing but bad things. Like have you watched a guy decide to commit suicide on a highway and take another driver on the opposite side with him? Because I have.

The sooner the human element is taken out of vehicles, the sooner I'll feel safe traveling.

It's called driving defensively. You leave plenty of room between yourself and the other driver so you have time to react. You also leave for where you need to be early, so you can avoid rush hour traffic.

The problem isn't that humans are bad at driving, the problem is that there are humans driving, who shouldn't be allowed to drive because they've no freaking clue what they are doing. If you don't feel safe driving, it probably means you don't have enough experience and skill when it comes to driving. Nothing worse than a nervous driver, they overreact to emergency situations, and cause wrecks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Google's driverless cars alone have logged over 2 million miles traveled without a computer-responsible accident.

(3 accidents while their human passenger was in charge of the car, and 1 more where it acted properly and was rear-ended anyways).

How many miles have you driven? How can you know how safe you are....

People like you will keep this great tech getting in the hands of everyone. Computer will always make less mistakes than a human and if you want to educate yourself, watch "Humans need not apply" or keep being ignorant.

You people can whine about my preferences all you want, it isn't going to change my stance on the matter so there's no point in complaining or trying to persuade me to think something else. I had no idea this topic had so many big babies surrounding it, sorry for insulting you all.

@Matu20 I'll do as I please, which isn't watching what you're telling me to watch. You aren't my mother, buddy.

Привет товарищ ))))

Or people who are into car culture and genuinely enjoy driving.

And while automated cars interest me somewhat, I do happen to enjoy driving and I am very good at it.

Also, keep in mind the same companies making these automated cars have had many, many issues with regular cars. Automation is no guarantee of safety when they can't even get the basics right. Air bags filled with shrapnel, throttles sticking, ignition issues, my car had a recall last year for possible fires due to oil leaks, the list goes on. I mean we can't even trust VW to not lie about emissions let alone safety. Look at the GM ignition deaths. A simple ignition switch wasn't even done right and many died for it.

In the US, driving is not a right, only a privilege so we may see it taken away one day. But hopefully by then they will be able to build a machine I trust fully. That time isn't here yet.

And I am not sure SCCA events would be as fun.

Source: The Verge

volvo-drive-me-1.0.gif

So as long as you don't tinker with the car and allow it to be fully autonomously in control, if you get into a crash Volvo will say it is their fault. This is the kind of thing that we need to get automated cars on the road and dangerous drivers off. I hope the transition is quick. I can see a lot of human drivers crashing into the machine ones because they are actually following the law while the humans aren't.

while i am not surprised hearing Volvo stating this, dangerous drivers are not going to dissappear. Because the ones who drive precariously is usually the ones who "enjoy" driving to some extent.

Yet it will get rid of all the air-heads who do not pay attention. But it will not get rid of the real dangerous ones. The ones who drive excessively aggressive. is constantly speeding and will try to run the yellow light on every occasion because "it werent red just yet"...

These drivers are the "death-traps" out there. The people who do not pay attention usually drive A LOT slower, so while they are a real hazard, the damages they inflict is generally monetary, not deadly.

Really, you'd pick something with no sense or right or wrong, no sense of good or bad and no conscience, compassion or emotion over a human being? WOW dude. A machine would unplug your life support without even considering the humanity side of the argument, a simple calculation of the chances of you making a recovery and its wham, bam, thank you mam, your no longer alive, the machine has killed you off because you entrusted it with your life. Have movies taught you nothing at all? Computers = good at calculation, really really bad at emulating humans.

Why are aeroplanes safer? Well for a start you FLY a plane, not drive one but English lesson aside its simple mathematics. When there's 100x more people driving around every day than there is flying around every day then your simply going to see and hear about 100x more car crashes than plane crashes. Pilot Error still attributes for a huge margin of plane crashes around the world and you better believe that when a plane goes it takes a lot of people along for the ride, something which is not a factor in a car crash.

Besides that, have you not noticed your self contradicting statement? Pilots are humans too so why is it somehow better to have a human fly a plane than it is driving a car? I mean its not like anybody can just drive a car without training first so I'm just wondering what exactly is the difference here?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)