What does Linus actually do? company...job...office...what for?

logan
Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

Lol i know they make vids...but why would they upgrade buildings to such a big degree...and is it just for the youtube vids? or do they use it for other things as well?

LMG is a production studio. Just like any TV studio, they need space, sets, and expensive equipment to make their quality content.

The difference is simply in platform.

Unlike many youtubers that rely solely on google ads, they rely on sponsors, like a television channel does.

LMG sponsors are more niche, and are appropriate for the content and the audience. And, unlike a TV audience, it's pretty easy to gauge how well things go with the audience, what they want, and what sponsors benefit.

The viewers LMG gets rival a small upper-number TV channel, AND are almost a single demographic. For tech companies that typically have small margins anyway, LMG is an effective platform to advertise on and get the most for your money.

I don't actually know the rates for LMG ads (I will be inquiring myself at some point believe it or not, I might take advantage of it), but I imagine they are, on a per viewer basis, much more expensive than more broad advertising elsewhere because of the less intrusive style and likely effective results and audience feedback.

edit:

Also worth adding, unlike a TV channel that must have content 24-7 AND put butt in chairs (or DVRs) when the content airs, youtube content can be watched any time. An add on a video that stays relevant for longer on popular hardware (like an LG ultrawide or good case) means an ad that stays in effect for months maybe even years.

Also: better studio + equipment + employees = better production value = more advertising value

So i watch all the Linus vids...channel super fun vids...Ncix vids...and i don't understand what Linus actually does...or more specificly....what the new office is for? computer building? just bigger space for the crew? someone please explain to me

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

LMG is a content production team.

Linus happens to be the one who started it and is also the host and manager of the company. They moved to a larger space to have more space to grow and expand as a company.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

money laundry of course

/s

So i watch all the Linus vids...channel super fun vids...Ncix vids...and i don't understand what Linus actually does...or more specificly....what the new office is for? computer building? just bigger space for the crew? someone please explain to me

Seriously? Linus is the founder of the WHOLE company. They moved into the new office because they did not have enough room at the old office (LIKE HE SAID IN PRETY MUCH EVERY MOVING VLOG)

Do more research before you post things like that.

LMG is a content production team.

They make youtube videos

Lol i know they make vids...but why would they upgrade buildings to such a big degree...and is it just for the youtube vids? or do they use it for other things as well?

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

Well they would've had the new office much earlier, but as a company, they had to be in business for 2 years to get a loan to get an office, so they settled for a house as a "temporary" office.

One way or another, the old office was very crowded, all the way from boxes upon boxes to actual camera/lighting gear.

Ever rented space for a business? It's not always about square footage. Plus it takes room to make sets.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Seriously? Linus is the founder of the WHOLE company. They moved into the new office because they did not have enough room at the old office (LIKE HE SAID IN PRETY MUCH EVERY MOVING VLOG)

why are you so mad?

They have a team of like 8 members or something working to a professional degree, you cant keep all of the stuff they had as well as comfortable station a full team in a house that they used as an office. And I said, expand ability was a big factor, they have been hiring new people as they need.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

money laundry of course

/s

nah you use car washes for that

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Lmao chill m8 he just didnt know what the need for the new office was for. If you dont have anything nice or helpful to contribute to a topic, better off for everyone if you just dont post in the topic.

linus, runs the company, runs the office, hosts most of the videos, hosts everything else, and is the one keeping lmg going

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

They make videos. I think. I dunno.

If you have ever seen any videos of the old 'office' (a house) you may have noticed it was just waaay too small and stuff had to be filmed .. in the kitchen, rather than a professional set.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

LMG is a production studio. Just like any TV studio, they need space, sets, and expensive equipment to make their quality content.

The difference is simply in platform.

Unlike many youtubers that rely solely on google ads, they rely on sponsors, like a television channel does.

LMG sponsors are more niche, and are appropriate for the content and the audience. And, unlike a TV audience, it's pretty easy to gauge how well things go with the audience, what they want, and what sponsors benefit.

The viewers LMG gets rival a small upper-number TV channel, AND are almost a single demographic. For tech companies that typically have small margins anyway, LMG is an effective platform to advertise on and get the most for your money.

I don't actually know the rates for LMG ads (I will be inquiring myself at some point believe it or not, I might take advantage of it), but I imagine they are, on a per viewer basis, much more expensive than more broad advertising elsewhere because of the less intrusive style and likely effective results and audience feedback.

edit:

Also worth adding, unlike a TV channel that must have content 24-7 AND put butt in chairs (or DVRs) when the content airs, youtube content can be watched any time. An add on a video that stays relevant for longer on popular hardware (like an LG ultrawide or good case) means an ad that stays in effect for months maybe even years.

Also: better studio + equipment + employees = better production value = more advertising value

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You can't make nearly enough drugs in the old "office" as you can in the new one. 

I mean...videos and stuff. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

the old "office" didnt even have enough space for all the product they had, not to mention having editors and new employees. the new office gives them space to hire more people and put all their shit somewhere

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I am pretty sure that the new office needs an upgrade early next year since @LinusTech is employing people like a mad guy

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

money laundry of course

/s

Do you mean money laundering?

Or am I missing a joke

They need WAY more room

they have over 10 people working, tons of equipment, computers, cameras, etc...

they do youtube videos, live streams, and company sponsored ads

that's why its called linus "MEDIA" group

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Didn't I see on the LMG site once that they also do outside media work as well? Like someone could record a wedding and hire LMG to edit it and add post-production value to it as well.

Though maybe I'm misreading something.