[Rumor] Microsoft to launch Xbox One Mini in October

Bouzoo

A Chinese blog WPDang (honestly, never heard of them) are claiming that they've got some info that suggests that MS will launch in October, among many other things, an Xbox One Mini. 
They would achieve making it a "Mini" by getting rid of the Blu-Ray drive (it will become a completely digital machine) and getting rid of the huge amount of free space that Xbox One has. This is quite interesting considering how they defended the XboX One being so huge so it could have better cooling due to that huge amount of free space. 

APU wise, about a year ago, MS managed to shrink the consoles APU making it more efficient and more powerful, 30% more powerful and 25% more efficient to be specific, while making it 1.9 times smaller (28nm to 20nm), so they might put that inside.

According to rumors the compact Xbox One, coined as the Xbox On Mini, is able to hit the smaller form factor by nixing the Blu-ray drive altogether and shaving off a considerable chunk of space--about 1/3 of the current massive VCR-sized monstrosity. This will turn the Xbox One Mini into a digital-only machine, and the excising of the drive will also lead to a nice price drop to boot.

News of a slim Xbox One circulated as far back as October of last year when AMD shrunk the console's 28nm APU to a smaller, cheaper and more efficient 20nm factor. The 20nm APU, which is 1.9 times more dense than the previous model, could lead to speeds up to 30% faster with 25% less power draw.

Hyped? I'm not tbh, but it would be cool to see how much better would this little thing be. If they release it could perhaps Sony respond with a Slim PS4 (it's not like it isn't small enough already when compared to PS2 and PS3)? I think dropping the Blu-Ray could make it quite a problem for some people, so they'd be taking huge risks with this.

Sources: 1, 2

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Hmm if its significantly cheaper I might pick one up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What the hell is the point of getting rid of the Blu-Ray drive? People use it and it doesn't take up that much space.

What the hell is the point of getting rid of the Blu-Ray drive? People use it and it doesn't take up that much space.

That's the only reason i still have my ps3 in my living room.........lmao

I still use my PS2...

i though one of the main reasons for being on console is having discs.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Its only an improvement if they take a chassis of the same size as the one used on the original Xbox, use a similar motherboard  and newer custom components. Eg, the original Xbox has a custom Nvidia GPU that was bloody brilliant for its time, and a die shrunk modified Pentium III 700 copermine, with the 3.5" desktop HDD and DVD drive taking up most of the space. Also, you can power the Xbox off an ATX power supply. I'd post images of the nearly empty interior of the original Xbox but I've re assembled it after upgrading its HDD to 250GB (10GB>160GB>250GB).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What if they would do some proper engineering, and put the damn psu into the console. 

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

They are getting rid of the bluray drive to make it smaller? Is it only going to be an inch less thick? Bluray drives add almost nothing. The Xbone is the biggest, fattest console I've ever seen. It's overly huge for no reason. "More cooling", then how does the PS4 do it? Obviously someone at Microsoft can't seem to come up with an actual idea.

They are getting rid of the bluray drive to make it smaller? Is it only going to be an inch less thick? Bluray drives add almost nothing. The Xbone is the biggest, fattest console I've ever seen. It's overly huge for no reason. "More cooling", then how does the PS4 do it? Obviously someone at Microsoft can't seem to come up with an actual idea.

I may remember wrong, but I think I read articles about PS4 throttling and having heating issues (even though I had no problem with mine, neither do I know anyone that does have them. It would get really hot but no throttling). 

Also there was the Xbox One designer that claimed it was fat for better cooling (I think this was even discussed on WAN show).

I struggle to understand how can people describe Bitfenix Prodigy as "portable", while Xbox One is "too big". 

Because I can put an 8 core i7 and a TitanX as well as 20TB of storage into a Prodigy.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I struggle to understand how can people describe Bitfenix Prodigy as "portable", while Xbox One is "too big". 

I think it has more to do with Bitfenix being quite small when compared to other PC's, while the One is the biggest console ever. It's about what's considered as the standard size for the "category".

Should have a look at the physical tear downs of the 2 consoles, can very quickly see which company knows what they are doing

PMSL

I may remember wrong, but I think I read articles about PS4 throttling and having heating issues (even though I had no problem with mine, neither do I know anyone that does have them. It would get really hot but no throttling). 

Also there was the Xbox One designer that claimed it was fat for better cooling (I think this was even discussed on WAN show).

My cousin has a PS4 and he's never had issues with temps, he does keep it out in the open though.

Should have a look at the physical tear downs of the 2 consoles, can very quickly see which company knows what they are doing

Yeah, Sony. The PS4 just screams engineering while the Xbone looks like someone custom fabricated a big case and slapped in a full size mobo, PSU, and cooling fan with a bluray drive thrown in.

TBH, I haven't read the OP, but hot damn, if it's just about 200 AUD than I'm getting it. 

For exclusives such as Halo it might be worth, streaming to Win10 makes it so you don't have to use the shitty Xbone :P

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Because I can put an 8 core i7 and a TitanX as well as 20TB of storage into a Prodigy.

It only makes sense if you also compare the price. If you can build a pc with the same computing and graphic output, same price and size. 

I need to replace the thermal paste in mine. The thing revs up quick on idle

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

It only makes sense if you also compare the price. If you can build a pc with the same computing and graphic output, same price and size. 

I don't believe that anyone that's doing a build with Bitfenix is gonna make it as "powerful" as One, they'll be doing way more with it.

Straight up it'd need to be able to handle at least 720p 60fps with ultra settings like my GTX 650ti 2GB and Xeon X5450. But it won't because Microsoft went full retard and didn't stick with the better CPU/dGPU combination.

PMSL