4.9GHz with an Air Cooler? Intel Skylake 6700K

4.9GHz on an $50 air cooler and stable? Amazing right? So apparently the guys at Digital Trends ran a Intel Core i7-6700K with an Asus Z170 Delux motherboard, 8GB of Corsair DDR4 2400MHz without an video card. They where able to run three complete test at this clock speed at a voltage of 1.43 while staying at an toasty 68 degrees Celsius. Note that the processor was an engineering sample. So who knows, a minority of processors maybe able to crack 5GHz.

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

Edited by Godlygamer23
Added source.

Ouch. I wouldn't

Yup, I wouldn't either. They brought it back to 4.8GHz at 1.4 after the tests.

Ouch. I wouldn't

Dude, Skylake's stock voltage is like 1.3v. 2.3v is fine on LN2.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Dude, Skylake's stock voltage is like 1.3v. 2.3v is fine on LN2.

Intel always gives it may more voltage than it needs

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

too bad that it wont be possible for most of us, unless you own a ES chip

also 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

No, It's due to a power delivery change, no longer end-users getting owned by FIVR on the die.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

my 4790k loves 4.8GHz on air under 80c.  If I wasn't worried about money I'm sure it'd run 4.9 long term just fine too, took 1.4v but ran an hour of xtu and occt and stayed under 90.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Mine ran 4.8 @ 1.225v on air with a max temp of 74c... I'd love to go Skylake, but ram, motherboard, and the cpu would break my bank...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

4.9GHz on an $50 air cooler and stable? Amazing right

They where able to run three complete test at this clock speed at a voltage of 1.43 while staying at an toasty 68 degrees Celsius

4.9GHz (the Skylake version of my chip but HORRIBLE voltage control...)

You'll kill your chip running on air like that, I want to see it after 3 24 hour benchmarks

The amount of voltage running through that chip? It shouldn't last more then a year. 

I have my chip running 4.9GHz with 1.360 volts , will boot at 5GHz, haven't tried it. I bet you my chip can boot at 5GHz running 1.43 and be stable too.

People getting that chip to 6GHz, Like I believe that for a split second.

Never should you ever have a chip running a 1.43 volts as a daily driver. Thats for someone who wants to kill they're chip as fast as possible (Me)

You should never go past 1.4 On air nor AIO liquid. I don't care if its stable or not. You should never run a chip more then 1.4 on anything other then Phase Change, Liquid Nitrogen or helium (or whatever the last one was) 

You'll kill your chip running on air like that, I want to see it after 3 24 hour benchmarks

On what planet will 68C kill an Intel chip? o.0 Massive citation needed here.

As for voltage. Eh. Maybe. We don't really know enough about Skylake yet to make statements like that.

On what planet will 68C kill an Intel chip? o.0 Massive citation needed here.

As for voltage. Eh. Maybe. We don't really know enough about Skylake yet to make statements like that.

voltage.

And yes we kinda do, Yes Intel raised the max multiplier, but It will still rek the chip, If you run 1.43 volts through any chip, Unless its that power hungry it will die.

Shouldn't the safe voltage reduced for skylake since it's 14nm, 22nm is safe at 1.45v, or is this more related to FVIR.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

I've looked extensively into Skylake OCing and the general consensus is up to 1.45v is fine for them, until Intel actually tell us it's all guesswork mind but 1.45v seems to be the point at which heat output becomes a big problem.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

voltage.

And yes we kinda do, Yes Intel raised the max multiplier, but It will still rek the chip, If you run 1.43 volts through any chip, Unless its that power hungry it will die.

Not any chip, Sandy Bridge was fine with 1.5V. Do I think it likely that a newer micro-architecture on a manufacturing an order of magnitude smaller will also be fine at that voltage? No. However, I'm going to wait until we have actual statistics on the subject before telling people what is going to kill anything.

if they gives it way more than it needs, it mean that intel garanteed it to  work properly at that ... i think

I settled at 4.4 GHz with stock voltage of 1.185v on my 4790k. It will start all benchmarks, can't finish any at 5GHz, it's stable at 4.9GHz but I didn't feel like raising the voltage past 1.3v consistently so I backed down to stock voltage. Architecture changes prevent direct comparisons, especially with die shrinks but even if I could go past 5GHz, I wouldn't do it at a huge voltage bump like that. FWIW, these results were done on an ES chip anyway.

Here is what most users can expect:

Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance. In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge. That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap.

01%20-%20Gains%20over%20Sandy_575px.png

Detailed OC runs and results here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/6

6770K%20OC1_575px.png

Also OP, you should have linked the article when you started the thread: 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

4.9GHz on an $50 air cooler and stable? Amazing right? So apparently the guys at Digital Trends ran a Intel Core i7-6700K with an Asus Z170 Delux motherboard, 8GB of Corsair DDR4 2400MHz without an video card. They where able to run three complete test at this clock speed at a voltage of 1.43 while staying at an toasty 68 degrees Celsius. Note that the processor was an engineering sample. So who knows, a minority of processors maybe able to crack 5GHz.

It doesn't seem overwhelmingly good. I can sit comfortably with my 4790k at 1.35 4.8, I wont be surprised if it is stable at 4.9 with 1.43v like the Skylake CPU. The temperature though. 68 degrees at 1.43 - is the sensor drunk? I would expect 80-90C from even a noctua cooler with that amount of voltage. I guess it was only ran during tests like cinebench, I usually get lower temps by 10ish degrees with cinebench over prime

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

While i will not discount the possibility that this chip was able to do this, i do want to point out that this contradicts everything we have seen from Broadwell and other Skylake reviews. Several other reviewers have noted that after 1.4V, temperatures become impossible to control, even with AiO coolers. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_6700k_processor_review_desktop_skylake,18.html

http://prntscr.com/859ii8

We have been a little time limited and have not had ample time with all Skylake content. Our findings in short, our ES samples are not the best overclockers. We reached 4900 MHz as bootable and, in the end, 4800 MHz stable but we needed a rather high ~1.450 Volts for that. Below, you can find a handful of results we ran with the overclocked settings as explained. For cooling we used a fairly affordable Corsair H110 liquid cooling unit. The same settings as previous benchmarks have shown have been used here as well.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1041-intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake/page12.html

The Core i7-6700K was an overclocking delight, reaching 4.8GHz with no effort at all. To achieve this frequency we simply hit the quick OC button and selected the maximum value of 4.8GHz. The system reset, loaded Windows 10 and we began testing. Keep in mind the ambient room temperature was just 21 degrees and we were using the Noctua NH-D15.

Under full load the 4.8GHz overclock did see the CPU reach 90 degrees though it remained stable. Here are some quick results. Unfortunately we didn't have a heap of time to really mess around with overclocking the 6700K

http://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-6700k-and-z170-chipset-review-skylake-for-enthusiasts?page=11

To see what our sample could do, we manually cranked the core voltage up to 1.4v and shot right for 4.5GHz (45x100MHz),which worked without incident. We could actually get Windows to boot at higher clocks, but the CPU would overheat (over 92'C) and throttle under load with our air-cooling setup. After coming back down to 4.5GHz, we then bumped up the BCLK frequency slight and ultimately settled on just shy of 4.6GHz. At this speed the CPU was perfectly stable and operated in the upper 80-degree range when under load.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-reviewed/

We tried a range of overclocked speeds and voltage settings, keeping an eye on temperatures, before finally settling on 4.8 GHz and 1.4V. This is an increase of 20 percent over the default clock frequency and a good result for any modern CPU. We managed this with both traditional multiplier overclocking and by increasing the value of the base clock (BCLK).

Higher speeds were attainable, but not stable. The Core i7-6700K booted into Windows without a problem at 5GHz, but it crashed as soon as we tried to run a benchmark. Running the chip at 4.9 GHz, it crashed during a run of Prime 95.

This compares quite favourably with Haswell’s potential for overclocking. With Haswell, a boost to around 4.7 GHz could be reached, but going up to 5GHz was really tricky without a really superb cooling setup and tweaking a lot of advanced settings. It’s worth noting that with Skylake the approximate voltage required for the higher overclocks is 1.4V, while on Haswell it’s about 1.3V.

With 4.8GHz, we had settled on a voltage of 1.39V, and every test completed without a problem, except for the Handbrake video encode, which crashed once. Increasing the core voltage to 1.4V solved this, with temperatures of 92°C, which are manageable with a decent all-in-one liquid cooling system. You’ll probably get different results depending on your setup, and experienced overclockers will certainly be able to push the Core i7-6700K further

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Review-Skylake-First-Enthusiasts/Overclocking-Skylake-Gone-FI

My Core i7-6700K sample was able to hit 4.7 GHz completely stable, with a Vcore of just over 1.4v. Try as I might, with a Corsair H110i GTX cooler at the ready, getting to 4.8 GHz and maintaining temperatures under 90C was nearly impossible for me. I have heard reports of some users getting 5.0 GHz in a "conditionally stable" state, where MOST applications run without issue, but that seems to be the outliers. At these settings my temperatures were stable at 85C and power consumption jumped up by just 23 watts

I would probably want to see more proof from DT before i consider their claims truthful. It just goes against every other review i have seen, and trust me. I have been paying a ton of attention to both Broadwell and Skylake over the past few months. I do intend to use Skylake in a future project, and knowing everything there is to know about it is part of the job.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah amazing. Only a very few gets those engeering samples while we, us, us consumers gets those shitty binned POS chips we never be able to do 4.9GHz unless we live in Alaska.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

my 4790k loves 4.8GHz on air under 80c.  If I wasn't worried about money I'm sure it'd run 4.9 long term just fine too, took 1.4v but ran an hour of xtu and occt and stayed under 90.

Pretty sure "Loves it" is a bit of an overstatement.

:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Pretty sure "Loves it" is a bit of an overstatement.

:P

I went back to 4.6 but it was begging for more!!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I went back to 4.6 but it was begging for more!!

*CPU pleading in the background* I was hoping to grow old here you bastard! STOP TAKING AWAY MY LIFESPAN!

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

*CPU pleading in the background* I was hoping to grow old here you bastard! STOP TAKING AWAY MY LIFESPAN!

If i'm being honest i've been working on lowering it to a good 4.7 today with lower voltages for that very reason