Big tech companies back Samsung in Samsung vs Apple lawsuit

jos

Samsung was ordered to turn over the total profits of the Galaxy devices the court decided were infringing on Apple's IPs, worth almost $1 billion. Earlier this year, the Court of Appeals lowered that amount to $548 million

Google, Facebook, eBay, Dell, HP and other big tech corporations have submitted a "friend of the court" brief on July 1st, supporting Samsung's stance. 

Here is what they have to tell:

Under the panel's reasoning, the manufacturer of a smart television containing a component that infringed any single design patent could be required to pay in damages its total profit on the entire television, no matter how insignificant the design of the infringing feature was to the manufacturer's profit or to consumer demand.

Software products and online platforms face similar dangers. A design patent may cover the appearance of a single feature of a graphical user interface, such as the shape of an icon. That feature—a result of a few lines out of millions of code—may appear only during a particular use of the product, on one screen display among hundreds. But the panel's decision could allow the owner of the design patent to receive all profits generated by the product or platform, even if the infringing element was largely insignificant to the user and it was the thousands of other features, implemented across the remainder of the software, that drove the demand generating those profits.

I think this is a never ending fight...

They should file the lawsuit with rounded corners on the paperwork.

Yah know.

Just to rub in the fact that they own shapes

(They'd tell them to suck their dick but Phillips likely owns a patent on cylinders with cones on top)

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

"nine jurors found Samsung guilty of infringing on six out of seven Apple patents, including the rectangular shape and rounded corners of the iPhone, and the shape of its application icons. Samsung was ordered to pay Apple damages of $1.05 billion in that original case."

Seriously?RECTANGULAR SHAPE???ROUNDED CORNERS???

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Good. Finally some people showing some backbone to the thieves and patent trolls at apple.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

"nine jurors found Samsung guilty of infringing on six out of seven Apple patents, including the rectangular shape and rounded corners of the iPhone, and the shape of its application icons. Samsung was ordered to pay Apple damages of $1.05 billion in that original case."

this.

From here on out I patent language. Anyone that uses language can be sued for all their profits. And money. I patent that too.

- snip-

Is this gonna turn into another great lawsuit war?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Samsung should never have lost in the first place. Just a travesty in the American law system. How can you even patent a rounded corner?

Samsung had plenty of designs like that before the first iPhone even appeared, so the rule of prior art should have rendered the case void.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I hope this case is used as a driver and an indicator that the USPTO requires long overdue patent reform.

Apple didn't win based on rounded corners,  why won't you people read the article before commenting?

the court threw out $382 million in “trade dress” infringement damages (over aesthetic design elements like rounded corners on smartphones and the shape of apps)

They won because the court decided that an entire products value was determined by only it's "front face, user interface and certain utility features like tapping to zoom."

Basically as always the US courts/panel/jury have done the dodgy and don't understand technology and/or basic business and/or are simply supporting US owned companies in their time of financial short comings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple didn't win based on rounded corners,  why won't you people read the article before commenting?

They won because the court decided that an entire products value was determined by only it's "front face, user interface and certain utility features like tapping to zoom."

Basically as always the US courts/panel/jury have done the dodgy and don't understand technology and/or basic business and/or are simply supporting US owned companies in their time of financial short comings.

Actually Apple did win based on rounded corners in the original verdict, but that part was rejected on appeal.

this.

From here on out I patent language. Anyone that uses language can be sued for all their profits. And money. I patent that too.

Let's use telepathy and pay with stones! :D

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

I know right... Oh which other phones have I seen with that exact description.

Can list of few really.

Motorola

Nokia

Sony

..... etc

I have no idea how a lawsuit like that can hold up in court, its beyond a joke. Its like TV manufacturers suing each other because they are rectangular and have four corners. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Sounds to me like big players are trying to keep Apple in check since they grew this big. Also Apple asked for dismissal of Google's involvement since they "own" Android.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Someone needs to explain jury nullification to those jurors going into IP cases.

I think this proves how much BS it all is. I mean if big companies that are rivals unite together to put this to an end, it's a clear sign enough is enough and this needs to end, now.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

lolz

Apple is going to start to sue major movies stars for having "too square" of a face

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

apple is bad in every fucking way

what happened to the lawsuit nvidia vs samsung?

Next thing you know Samsung designs a rectangular phone without rounded corners and they get sued into oblivion because those silly Americans keep hurting themselves on the moderately sharp edges. You know it's going to happen at some point.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Let's use telepathy and pay with stones! :D

but stones are also my patent. Isn't it clear that no one else could have ever had such a unique idea?

- snip-

I'm sorry, but what? I don't understand. Usually there's some justification of their actions, but here I'm not seeing it. This just doesn't make any sense.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Actually Apple did win based on rounded corners in the original verdict, but that part was rejected on appeal.

yes, I even quoted that, ergo the system worked for that particular issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm sorry, but what? I don't understand. Usually there's some justification of their actions, but here I'm not seeing it. This just doesn't make any sense.

This is the issue I have,  the jurors not only made that decision but they did it too quickly, IP lawyers took months to scour over the information and come to a decision whether they have a case or not yet 9 relatively inexperienced Juror's only took a day to decide they were infringed. 

http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/09/19/patently-wrong-the-jurys-verdict-in-apple-v-samsung/

A quick read over this shows just how incomprehension they were.

This is the issue I have,  the jurors not only made that decision but they did it too quickly, IP lawyers took months to scour over the information and come to a decision whether they have a case or not yet 9 relatively inexperienced Juror's only took a day to decide they were infringed. 

http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/09/19/patently-wrong-the-jurys-verdict-in-apple-v-samsung/

A quick read over this shows just how incomprehension they were.

Ugh, wow, I usually have more faith in the legal system.

I have a question, though. Why are these big tech companies backing Samsung in this suit? Is there some benefit in doing so? You'll have to forgive me; I'm not exactly knowledgeable in this stuff.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.