Tech you wouldn't reccomend to anyone

techswede

"Funny" story that this post reminded me of, actually.

My sister (as well as me) had just gotten a brand new Galaxy S4 and was playing on it while waiting for a bus. Some middle schooler charges down the sidewalk and slams into her, making her drop the phone corner-first onto the pavement. The body of the phone was bent, the glass at the impact site was reduced to a fine powder, and the entire screen was broken (we had to put a plastic screen protector over it because she kept cutting herself on the fractures). She was in tears because the phone was only just over a day old and now her warranty was voided, so there was no replacing the phone unless we paid full-price for a new one.

We managed to get the phone repaired, even though it cost us $90 because the place had to fix the body of the phone as well as the screen. After picking up the freshly repaired phone, my dad told my sister and I that we needed to pick out a case for our phones (I was already researching cases before this happened). I picked up a nice Otterbox, and after visiting every store in the mall that carried phone cases, my sister picked out... a super thin snap-on case. She complained that proper cases were "too bulky" and refused to even try them out on her phone.

People go around with naked phones? I don't think I've ever seen that.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I do with my current phone.

Because leather is too good to cover up.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

rICan1Jl.jpg

This. It's some mouse called a Dragunov or whatever. Why? It's durability is poor.

I use it the same way I treat my other mice, gaming or non-gaming. Initially, this held up fine, then, one year later, it started disconnecting randomly. I pulled it out and back in again and it still wouldn't properly connect. Eventually, after so much troubleshooting, I gave up, ripped the cable off in pure frustration and got a Logitech G300, which is currently 2 years old and is still working as if it's brand-new.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Cats. Cats are the worst tech things one can buy. They think your tower is a place to perch, their hair just fills your pc, and your filters get filled so fast. They chew cables just to spite you. And best of all, they never want attention when you want to give it. But when you sit at your pc to play a game or do some work, they jump on the desk and lay down on the keyboard demanding your attention.

I fucking love my cat though

post-42526-0-09514300-1437112299_thumb.j

<3

post-42526-0-09514300-1437112299_thumb.j

Wearable tech, its all overpriced when you look at the funcionality that you get from it(At least for me). I would wait atleast a few more years for it to become affordable before buying.

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Toshiba (just about everything)

And for some reason my mother still thinks they are an acceptable laptop brand.  Even after the fact she had one that melted the motherboard, and then the replacement melted the motherboard, ruined the hard drive, as well as the video card.

My ex had a toshiba laptop that was decent... for about 6 months until the endless hardware problems started.

well i dont know about that i mean i wouldnt buy a notebook from them either but i picked a toshiba tv for my parents and seeing as they dont need smart features anyway its great so far good efficiency and picture quality for a really low price

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Samsung 840 Evo SSDs.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS!

everybody loves them so why the big letters also you shout out a huge warning without any reasoning ? yould you at least explain why?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

everybody loves them so why the big letters also you shout out a huge warning without any reasoning ? yould you at least explain why?

The algorithm bug, there is not any permanent fix, is renders the drive useless it is in every single drive and affects users only based on how often they write data. Samsung has released multiple fixes all of which are only ever temporary. It is in all EVO series (excluding the new 850 Evo) and some -I don't know which- of their mSATA SSDs.

Basically the drive is a time bomb and you can't know if you'll get a paperweight or when it will become one.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

The algorithm bug, there is not any permanent fix, is renders the drive useless it is in every single drive and affects users only based on how often they write data. Samsung has released multiple fixes all of which are only ever temporary. It is in all EVO series (excluding the new 850 Evo) and some -I don't know which- of their mSATA SSDs.

Basically the drive is a time bomb and you can't know if you'll get a paperweight or when it will become one.

f*ck i got 2 of those babys :/. so the 850 evo is save? then at least the drive i recommended my biddy will not be a failure puhh. but still how have i missed this. was this big news?

The cheap NZXT led strips

51OA1%2Bbk-xL.jpg

the control switch started failing after a few months

I went through 3 of these strips and on all of them the switch was crap

NZXT Hue was a far better quality product

Mine still work fine

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Pretty much any headset with a cable that isn't made of fucking metal.

Seriously, every audio cable begins to have issues in just weeks of use. Bullshit...

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Seriously, every audio cable begins to have issues in just weeks of use. Bullshit...

Stop chewing on them then.

The last wired headset that died on me got cannibalized for.. the cable. The headband broke <_<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

f*ck i got 2 of those babys :/. so the 850 evo is save? then at least the drive i recommended my biddy will not be a failure puhh. but still how have i missed this. was this big news?

It doesn't fail, the read speeds for older data just drops dramatically -- which is easily fixed by a fresh install.

Also, I thought the firmware update they released a few months back solved it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's not tech, but I wouldn't recommend this thread to anyone :D

*Looks at 300R* It's okay, little case, you've been good to me all these years. :(

Hey we have the same case :D, 300r master race, my friend who recently built his PC bought one too, he didnt even know we had the same case

Never owned a phone case in my life (except for the battery case I take for my iPhone when I go on holiday for emergencies)

WTF do you do to your headphones? never had a cable break, from free included headphones, cheapo £30 senheissers to £200 headphones

EDIT: I can see this thread is going to anger me so much :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Metal cable. Sounds impractical. 

And take better care of your stuff then. Still rocking the same headphones for over two years, the ear pads are now the issue on mine. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend 3d printers of any kind unless you like tinkering with stuff. The technology has some way to go until good quality comes to consumer hardware.

AMD CPUs aren't that great as some people said, but they're priced accordingly so I think it's unfair to give them flak for that.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend 3d printers of any kind unless you like tinkering with stuff. The technology has some way to go until good quality comes to consumer hardware.

AMD CPUs aren't that great as some people said, but they're priced accordingly so I think it's unfair to give them flak for that.

Except they're not all that competitive. In terms of pricing Intel is no more expensive than the fx series (for rendering/virtualization the fx6300 is a good choice on an extremely tight budget where one couldn't afford an i5). An fx8 system ends up being about the same amount as an i5 system, while an i3 is cheaper than an fx6. And for slightly more than an fx8 you can go with an e3 Xeon (w/HT). So really the only market and has is their APUs (which If Intel ever released iris pro in full scale would get smashed), the 860k (which isn't all that much cheaper than an i3 -- and once you get hardware capable of overclocking it to i3 levels you're more expensive), and the fx6300 for an extremely tight budget rendering machine.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Except they're not all that competitive. In terms of pricing Intel is no more expensive than the fx series (for rendering/virtualization the fx6300 is a good choice on an extremely tight budget where one couldn't afford an i5). An fx8 system ends up being about the same amount as an i5 system, while an i3 is cheaper than an fx6. And for slightly more than an fx8 you can go with an e3 Xeon (w/HT). So really the only market and has is their APUs (which If Intel ever released iris pro in full scale would get smashed), the 860k (which isn't all that much cheaper than an i3 -- and once you get hardware capable of overclocking it to i3 levels you're more expensive), and the fx6300 for an extremely tight budget rendering machine.

Intel may not be more expensive, but not cheaper either. But AMD are going bust soon so it doesn't really matter.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The nissan leaf. *cringes* (el-cars are all a bit sucky in general, lower than adwertised range, most of them cant be charged in the norwegian winters and the advantages you ge

t in traffic are totaly BS!)

(El-cars are tech?)

Tesla?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I don't know if a laptop is worth an absurd price premium for zero upgradeability amongst other things. I also don't know if I can call them "jacks of all trades". Most gaming notebooks I see are just subpar at doing so.

But you say it like someone has to carry around two full tower cases. They literally leave their rig at home and carry around a featherweight notebook. I can't imagine people wanna carry around a 17" 11lb all-in-one notebook either. Kind of goes two ways there.

Jack of all trades, master of none

To a lot of people simply it's jobs reasonably that's fine. And they don't mind paying the premium(I would). Also most go prebuilts even on desktops because they buy them and do what's asked and a lot of people say prebuilts are an evil that does not need to exist nor do they understand the need for it. I'd suggest looking at gaming laptops from the average joe wants to do game, YouTube, etc in one single portable machine.(look at most apple buyers if you don't believe me)

All I ask looking at things from non techie perspectives...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

The Asus MG279Q a lot of people will probably disagree but I bought this recently and it had severe backlight bleed it wouldn't stay on 144hz and kept resetting it's self and had loads and I mean loads of dead pixels. When I contacted Asus about it they said I would have to pay to get it replaced / repaired even though it was only 2 days old when I contacted them. Don't get me wrong the Specs on this monitor are amazing but Asus Quality Control and Customer Service has put me off buying anything from them ever again.

post-179175-0-77375800-1437142721_thumb.

post-179175-0-77375800-1437142721_thumb.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Another product I wouldn't recommend.

Any headphones made by Beats.

I own a limited-edition Solo HD, and man, for $249, I wished I have gotten a much better pair of headphones. They sound okay but doesn't sound like $200+ and frankly, the build quality is poor. Really poor to the point where the rubber headband separated from the plastic frame, and that's from 5 months of not using it. It's covered with tape now and I'm just hoping for the one day it dies so I can buy a proper pair of headphones.

Makes me question why did I even fall for their marketing hype.

Another product I wouldn't recommend? The Pono Player. 

Why? It does not live up to its claims, and its overpriced for what it is.

Another product I wouldn't recommend.

Any headphones made by Beats.

I own a limited-edition Solo HD, and man, for $249, I wished I have gotten a much better pair of headphones. They sound okay but doesn't sound like $200+ and frankly, the build quality is poor. Really poor to the point where the rubber headband separated from the plastic frame, and that's from 5 months of not using it. It's covered with tape now and I'm just hoping for the one day it dies so I can buy a proper pair of headphones.

Makes me question why did I even fall for their marketing hype.

Another product I wouldn't recommend? The Pono Player. 

Why? It does not live up to its claims.

Agree Beats are cheap rubbish that they think they can charge $150+ for I had the solo 2's and they broke after 7 month like litrally stopped playing music and they have way too much bass.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Agree Beats are cheap rubbish that they think they can charge $150+ for I had the solo 2's and they broke after 7 month like litrally stopped playing music and they have way too much bass.

They cost about $14 to make.

That alone should explain why the build quality is garbage.