Tech you wouldn't reccomend to anyone

techswede

My gf got one of those.  Smoke all up in dat case.  O.o  Made her go xfx.

Smoke Wee-- ahh... Raidmax every day

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Low quality PSU's, for obvious reasons

Corsair CX PSU's, Low quality capacitors,Too high of a failure rate,Bad Experience with units.

OEM systems (HP,Dell,Acer,Compaq etc) I used to absolutely think having a good HP was the bees knee's until i learned a bit more about tech and realised just how BAD I was getting ripped off, plus the fact that these systems use absolutely terrible PSU's was enough to just make me go oh god, And cheap brand motherboards alongside that too.

Ubuntu, Just from using 12.04 has put me off using anything with that name forever, 12.04 was by a good margin the worst OS i've ever used (and i used Windows ME back a decade or so ago and i used vista when it lagged the heck out of old hardware), however 1 that was back in 2012 and 2 there might be better versions.

The only OEM systems I buy are ASUS laptops. They actually have some useful software (Such as Power2Go, automatically changes your computer's performance settings depending on battery life and whether you're plugged in or not, as well as InstantOn, which makes some tweaks to the motherboard when your computer is going into standby, allowing it to resume in <2s). As for HP laptops, I find them OK, but I'm not a big fan of the build quality. Their desktops are simply horrible and should be avoided at all costs.

Anyways, the worst tech I've used are Sandstrom Noise-cancelling headphones. The drivers are so weak, and the on-board noise cancelling circuitry is a joke. I tried it on a bus and as soon as the engine ramped up it was R.I.P. music. The thing spluttered all over the place. It couldn't even handle bass. On top of that, the build quality is horrible. For £25 it was a total rip off. I got JVCs for £14 and they have much more powerful drivers, as well as a more comfortable fit and more durable design (for my uses anyway).

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

well the LEDs in the braided cable are difficult to position properly because its not a flat strip, and the lighting looks horribly uneven because the LEDs are focused and create "spots" of light that are brighter and dark spots that are not lit well

That's going to happen with an LED strip like this. Either you need to fill the braid with LEDs, or a better solution is to use a bar or something. Positioning the LEDs is pointless, the light is meant to reflect off of nearby surfaces anyway. The idea, I'm pretty sure, is to position the LEDs in a place you can't actually see them and let illuminate the area inside.

Zalman Z11 Plus, fan broke within a couple of months, there is no way to access the top of the top fan without removing the whole of the top of the case, and because the cables are so short you have to remove all the HDD activity LED, power button cables, etc. Really badly designed and just overall cheap.

Smoke Wee-- ahh... Raidmax every day

Well, their name is pretty descriptive. RaidtotheMax!

This is a signature.

Don't buy a ps vita, was an expensive mistake for me.

Anything with Killer Networking, nothing but a pain in the ass.

Really? I've never had any issues with Killer NICs, I don't know why so many people have issues with them. 

Apple laptops. They go straight to lag piles after an OS update

As I'm staring at an eye year old Macbook Pro from early 2007 rocking a 2.2ghz C2D and 4gb of Ram that runs perfectly fast on everything but Yosemite. 

And yes, I know, I could send out for a new one from noctua and return the one I have, but that's too much effort for a fan.

A $600 fan* 

Dropcam's. They're great and all........when they work. I have five dropcams in my house that literally trash my network (I've put them on the same network, and the network literally becomes unusable, on a guest network -- same result, and on their own AP -- which slows down both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks, but doesn't trash either one at least). Add to that the fact that once I got over three they were constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Cheap headsets. They break in a matter of months in my experience.

They overheat and the software is bad. Nvidia is better

I'm curious to know where you got this from about the gpus. I know mine doesn't come close to overheating and the software is just as good as nvidia's (at least from last year, that's when I switched).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Cheap headsets. They break in a matter of months in my experience.

I'm curious to know where you got this from about the gpus. I know mine doesn't come close to overheating and the software is just as good as nvidia's (at least from last year, that's when I switched).

You missed the /s at the bottom of my post. Sarcasm!

Thanks for not yelling at me though.

blackshades on

MSI Graphics cards. The rest of their stuff is fine, but their graphics cards...

I Own a GTX 560Ti Hawk. The damn thing goes up to almost 90°C on standard factory overclock. It sounds like this doing so:

It's even louder in person.

"Whatever", I thought. "I'll save up for a 680". And so I did. I bought a reference design GTX 680, built by MSI. One day, while playing GW2, Poof, PC just stops working. I open the case and am greeted with the nice smell of burnt electronics. I take out the cards and it turns on again, I got damn lucky it didn't take anything else with it. At this point the cards was just shy of 2 months old. I replaced it with an ASUS DCUII OC GTX 680, which still works, but I sold it to upgrade.

Nothing against their motherboards though, still using the same one I bought 3-4 years ago, no problem whatsoever.

Also, OP, what have you done...

ITT:

- People without actual knowledge bashing on AMD and Apple for no reason other than to be cool.

- People that don't explain why they wouldn't recommend something.

Don't buy a ps vita, was an expensive mistake for me.

They still make those? Do they have games for it these days?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Never buy a 3D Printer, unless you have the knowledge to give it a good use, it's nothig but troubles...

Don't get mad, get even...

You missed the /s at the bottom of my post. Sarcasm!

Thanks for not yelling at me though.

oh xD it was hard to spot and your signature pointed in the other direction (not that I endorse FX cpus too much, they need a successor pretty badly at this point)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Corsair Link Commander Mini

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, it allowed me to ditch an ugly as all hell 5.25" bay fan controller for custom fan curves tuned to the temps of various computer components, but it is a pain in the ass to work with. Corsair Link is the real problem here, it's buggy, crashes all the time, and will occasionally just refuse to recognize hardware hooked up to the computer (I have an H100i and a Commander Mini) or will recognize them but refuse to actually change their settings.

It's getting better all the time, and if you spend enough time with it to get it set up the way you want it, it does a decent job of retaining settings even if it loses it's connection to the hardware, but damn, it's annoying.

I didn't know anyone else in the world bought this thing, I thought I was the only one. Also yeah, same damn thing. ALL the problems, not worth it. Fans into the mobo via. a PWM hub is much simpler.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

That's going to happen with an LED strip like this. Either you need to fill the braid with LEDs, or a better solution is to use a bar or something. Positioning the LEDs is pointless, the light is meant to reflect off of nearby surfaces anyway. The idea, I'm pretty sure, is to position the LEDs in a place you can't actually see them and let illuminate the area inside.

yeah except these are the round focused LEDs not LED square dies

they give very uneven lighting

this is why almost all PC LED strips use flat strips with the high quality square LEDs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Every iphone I've ever seen someone use has massive cracks on the screen from being in their pocket, the new one is known to bend due to cheap materials, and the ipods I've seen the screen breaks from various things that weren't supposed to break it.  Even got asked to repair one.  I don't think they are that sturdy for that reason.  Also, the fact that you can't remove the battery from the iphones is a huge no go for me.

Everyone I saw during the first week of College was like #CrackedIPhone4Squad... No joke

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Every iphone I've ever seen someone use has massive cracks on the screen from being in their pocket, the new one is known to bend due to cheap materials, and the ipods I've seen the screen breaks from various things that weren't supposed to break it.  Even got asked to repair one.  I don't think they are that sturdy for that reason.  Also, the fact that you can't remove the battery from the iphones is a huge no go for me.

The cracks come from the idiots dropping it constantly and THEN, after it's broken, maybe buy a case....it has nothing to do with it being in their pockets <_<

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

its not a legit version... theres no fucking way im paying 700$... and im nto really gonna worry about it until i ger my new pc any way... i think this laptop is partly to blame..

I run the pirated version of it for about a year before I actually got round to buying it and still didn't have any issues, maybe the version I downloaded was better.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I've seen the screen cracks from just being in their pocket.  If it doesn't happen to you that's great.  Even the bending of the new ones happens from being in one's pocket.

It's because idiots stuff it into their pockets with keys and all kinds of crap, Iv'e had multiple iPhone's and never once cracked a screen but I will agree with you that the iPhone 6 is crap.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I've seen the screen cracks from just being in their pocket.  If it doesn't happen to you that's great.  Even the bending of the new ones happens from being in one's pocket.

Maybe if it's in their back pocket, sideways, and they weigh 600lbs, and they bounce up and down on their butt, then maybe I'd believe you. 

Prebuilts.

They're just not worth it over building your own machine in almost all cases.

Tell that to every company (that is more than a handful of employees). Prebuilts serve a purpose -- most people can't/don't want to build a computer, plus on an enterprise level it doesn't make sense to. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Corsair H80i for me. Loud (both pump and the stock fans) and doesn't offer much performance compared to cheaper air coolers, and it costs a lot more than it should have done.

Beats. Just pure tech cancer. God awful. It don't deserve my explanation why I don't recommend it.

Also apple, not because its not good but there are better alternatives (unless you want a 1.something k laptop that looks cool but it useful for just web browsing)

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

The cracks come from the idiots dropping it constantly and THEN, after it's broken, maybe buy a case....it has nothing to do with it being in their pockets <_<

"Funny" story that this post reminded me of, actually.

My sister (as well as me) had just gotten a brand new Galaxy S4 and was playing on it while waiting for a bus. Some middle schooler charges down the sidewalk and slams into her, making her drop the phone corner-first onto the pavement. The body of the phone was bent, the glass at the impact site was reduced to a fine powder, and the entire screen was broken (we had to put a plastic screen protector over it because she kept cutting herself on the fractures). She was in tears because the phone was only just over a day old and now her warranty was voided, so there was no replacing the phone unless we paid full-price for a new one.

We managed to get the phone repaired, even though it cost us $90 because the place had to fix the body of the phone as well as the screen. After picking up the freshly repaired phone, my dad told my sister and I that we needed to pick out a case for our phones (I was already researching cases before this happened). I picked up a nice Otterbox, and after visiting every store in the mall that carried phone cases, my sister picked out... a super thin snap-on case. She complained that proper cases were "too bulky" and refused to even try them out on her phone.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Every iphone I've ever seen someone use has massive cracks on the screen from being in their pocket, the new one is known to bend due to cheap materials, and the ipods I've seen the screen breaks from various things that weren't supposed to break it. Even got asked to repair one. I don't think they are that sturdy for that reason. Also, the fact that you can't remove the battery from the iphones is a huge no go for me.

The cracks are from people dropping them on concrete or asphalt, not from them being in their pockets. I haven seen an Android phone without a huge crack in the screen either.

And are we still going on about Bend Gate even though literally no one reproduced Unbox Therapy's "findings" in any rigorous test?

It seems like you're fishing for something wrong with products because of personal bias: build quality is one of the things Apple has a genuine reputation for.

Again in the case of iPods you're literally talking about a decade old device still with its original mechanical hard drive, complaining about how shittily they are built? Lol!

Samsung 840 Evo SSDs.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS!

edit - The algorithm bug, there is not any permanent fix, is renders the drive useless it is in every single drive and affects users only based on how often they write data. Samsung has released multiple fixes all of which are only ever temporary. It is in all EVO series (excluding the new 850 Evo) and some -I don't know which- of their mSATA SSDs.

Basically the drive is a time bomb and you can't know if you'll get a paperweight or when it will become one.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW