Marshall Amps announces a... smartphone ?

xavouine

Weeeell, I don't know for how long this has been up there but there's currently a countdown on the Marshall website for the launch of what appears to be a smartphone!

After making a successful venture into the world of headphones/earphones, they are going after the audiophile smartphone user.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Is the market already flooded or is there a real niche market for audiophile grade smartphones ?

For those not too familiar with music equipment, Marshall is a legendary amplifier brand. They were the amps of choice for rock bands through 70s, 80s and 90s and still are a reference in the market.

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_ca_en/phones

Well. Hopefully the speakers are good :D

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

who dafaq is that

Basically everyone uses there amps if you ever watch a live concert theres a pretty good chance there will be something branded marshall.

Way too many new people in the already oversaturated smartphone market. :\

Way too many new people in the already oversaturated smartphone market. :\

what!  if there shit they sink if there any good they push others like samsung and apple to do better......wheres the problem?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Wait what? I swear if they don't have the best sound system ever.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The design sure looks neato! Not sure if a good soundchip would be enough to sell the device (although with all the pono player crap, maybe it is). And besides, what software would they run? Can't imagine they'd hire software developers to develop their own (possibly music-oriented) ROM. It promises to be interesting but Marshall doesn't have the visibility imho to make an impactfull release in the smartphone market. 

who dafaq is that

Marshall Amplification has been producing guitar amplifiers since the 1960s.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

"Audiophile smartphone", oh boy get ready for some snake oil or some bs like that.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Maybe they will make the first smartphone that can power 300Ω headphones?

News flash, that already exists. It's called a smartphone.

I strongly suspect they don't actually design the smartphone portion of it. Maybe audio output DAC.

The rest of it is probably outsourced to an established smartphone maker. Kind of like Caterpillar sells rugged smartphones, which are made by HTC, while CAT just puts their branding on them.

gl listening to Sennheiser HD 800 on a smartphone amp.

Do you even know what impedance is?

I am not surprised at all. These guys are desperate with their branding. And their amps are nostalgia-inflated and overrated. They make decent cabinets though. (Layman's terms: speaker enclosures)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I strongly suspect they don't actually design the smartphone portion of it. Maybe audio output DAC.

The rest of it is probably outsourced to an established smartphone maker. Kind of like Caterpillar sells rugged smartphones, which are made by HTC, while CAT just puts their branding on it.

would make sense since they wouldn't have all the expertise required to develop their own. But then the question is: who would partner up with Marshall to bring such a device to market? Sony's out of the question and this doesn't look very samsung-y nor HTC-like. Motorola's with Lenovo which is heavily tied with JBL but maybe? Would LG make such a deal? It's all speculations but It'll be interesting to see how this turns out :P

prepare for seinheiser to make smartphones

Actually I would like to see that, If they make something that looks like the hd 598's then I would be all over that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

So random. Reminds me of those 'ultra premium' car branded phones.

Your posts are always so lovely.

Not.

When will Coca Cola and McDonald release smartphone?

When will Coca Cola and McDonald release smartphone?

I'm already picturing a Mountain Dew LMG edition SGS6

Does it actually say it's a smartphone anywhere? Those might not even be headphones, it could be a guitar input. Also that might not be a camera but a tiny speaker :P