AMD FX vs Intel for gaming - 2015 Edition

Awesome, comprehensive review/comparison/benchmarks. I am a big Intel fan (not fanboy though) and even I think it's about damn time AMD comes and give Intel a good kick in the ass

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

• 3 weeks later...

-snip-

> Gets his panties in a knot over motherboard VRMs

> Doesn't notice that I myself are running a 125W Phenom II X6 off of a 4+1 board with no issues and I'm not complaining

> Uses the same motherboard for his 125W comparisons as I used in my comparisons, then says my motherboard choice was unfair

> Uses 8320E in argument like regular 8320 didn't have bad enough single-threaded performance

Looks like the summer heat is getting to somebody. @STRMfrmXMN @Sam Z Man come see this Drake n Meek Mill real talk shit

That applies to @Faceman too. You do not need 8+2 to run EVERY FX there is. the 95w CPUs (41xx, 43xx, 61xx, 63xx, 8320e + 8370e) is GOOD TO GO WITH 4+1Phase 100W TDP. Meaning, same power delivery as we saw with the 100W Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T

TDP is TDP, if the boards were made to handle 100W Phenom II X6 1100T, then it WILL handle a 95W FX 6300. Because the current needed to run either of the two is still within spec.

125W Phenom II X6* 

Get it right.

"Rawr XD"

Half of your price comparisons are bullshit. AM3 boards, subsequently AM3+ is based on the 100w TDP Phenom II.6300 can run on ANY 970 4+1phase board. You cannot OC, but you can run it and it wont throttle. The same applies to the 8320e and 8370e. CPUs both designed specifically to run on the low end 970 boards ONLY THE 81xx and 83xx needs a 8+2 phase 140w TDP board. The 9xxx series IS ONLY OFFICIALLY "allowed" to run off the Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 and Asus ROG Crosshair Formula PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $140.98Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:41 EDT-0400 and thats the manualhttp://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ NCIX US)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $183.98Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:44 EDT-0400 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $209.98Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:44 EDT-0400 FOR OC OF THE 8320PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ OutletPC)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $235.96Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:44 EDT-0400  PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($261.98 @ Newegg)CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($170.85 @ SuperBiiz)Total: $532.82Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 16:45 EDT-0400 THIS IS THE REAL COSTS OF FXNOW GET IT INTO YOUR HEAD AND LEARN HOW TO SET UP FX, OR SNIP IT.That applies to @Faceman too. You do not need 8+2 to run EVERY FX there is. the 95w CPUs (41xx, 43xx, 61xx, 63xx, 8320e + 8370e) is GOOD TO GO WITH 4+1Phase 100W TDP. Meaning, same power delivery as we saw with the 100W Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T TDP is TDP, if the boards were made to handle 100W Phenom II X6 1100T, then it WILL handle a 95W FX 6300. Because the current needed to run either of the two is still within spec. you CAN run a 125w FX 8320 on a 4+1 Phase setup, IF it can supply enough power through its VRMs, i was shown a old ass 58 chipset Asus board with 4+1 delivery that could deal with 140w TDP CPUs... the user was running a slightly OCd FX 8320 on it.. IF DOING COMPARISONS WHERE YOU DO DIRT CHEAP VS "DIRT CHEAP", THEN YOU DO IT RIGHT. A 4+1 PHASE VRM SETUP CAN RUN A FX, NO PROBLEMS, BUT IT CANNOT OC A FX. NEITHER CAN A SHITTY B81 BOARD GIVE YOU ANY GOOD OC WITH INTEL EITHER, BECAUSE IT LACKS OPTIONS IN THE BIOS AND USES A 3+1 PHASE SYSTEM WHEREAS INTEL CAN RUN FINE ON 3+1 IT NEEDS 4+1 FOR OC IN MOST CASES!!

Since I'm on mobile I can't snip...

You don't need to OC an i5 to outperform any AMD cpu. This means that you can get a much cheaper mobo and save money since you don't need to buy an aftermarket cooler.

But anyways I'm giving a fanboy too much attention so to the blocked list you go.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

> Gets his panties in a knot over motherboard VRMs

> Doesn't notice that I myself are running a 125W Phenom II X6 off of a 4+1 board with no issues and I'm not complaining

> Uses the same motherboard for his 125W comparisons as I used in my comparisons, then says my motherboard choice was unfair

> Uses 8320E in argument like regular 8320 didn't have bad enough single-threaded performance

Looks like the summer heat is getting to somebody. @STRMfrmXMN @Sam Z Man come see this Drake n Meek Mill real talk shit

125W Phenom II X6* 

Get it right.

Drinking and posting seems to be unwise. I apologize for the outrage. Time to log off for tonight.

Cheers.

Going back to my drunken guild raid

Le sigh

Thought this was over already...

I post stuff like this in my facebook group all the time & people still won't believe me when i say that IPC matters not as much as core count a 8350 will lose to a i3 i games.

IK lol, all the time I'll see people being like "you're comparing an octa core (lol) to a dual core?" Like I wish I didn't have to because AMD is buttfucked right now but I do have to and that per core is what matters more.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'll update mine once I get my i5 in a few days :)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

• 3 weeks later...

you forgot to mention that just about everyone there is reaaaaaaaaally young..... saw a build once with x99 that could ran anything and over 5k for an 8 year old that played minecraft......

☐ Not REKT ☑ REKT

Looking at the benchmarks, you have to buy something incredibly cheap from either Intel or AMD to not be getting around 60fps in most of them. Is a new i5 or i7 better than an 8320 on paper? Well yeah. Should you care if you have an 8320? Iff you have a high refresh display, imo. Otherwise your bottleneck is your display and not your CPU most of the time.

Looking at the benchmarks, you have to buy something incredibly cheap from either Intel or AMD to not be getting around 60fps in most of them. Is a new i5 or i7 better than an 8320 on paper? Well yeah. Should you care if you have an 8320? Iff you have a high refresh display, imo. Otherwise your bottleneck is your display and not your CPU most of the time.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of having an 8320, you should just not buy one without getting a ridiculously good deal on one.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of having an 8320, you should just not buy one without getting a ridiculously good deal on one.

My feelings on FX are the same as Sandy Bridge. I wouldn't buy one if I were shopping for parts for a new build, but I wouldn't bother to upgrade if I had one. There are specific cases where you would notice the difference, most people wouldn't.

My feelings on FX are the same as Sandy Bridge. I wouldn't buy one if I were shopping for parts for a new build, but I wouldn't bother to upgrade if I had one. There are specific cases where you would notice the difference, most people wouldn't.

If I had an 8320 and 980 ti it would be the sort of thing I would upgrade.

If I had an 8320 and 980 ti it would be the sort of thing I would upgrade.

Again, even that depends on why you have the 980 Ti. If you got it so that you can get 90+ fps then yeah. If you only have a 60 hz display, of any resolution it doesn't matter, then I wouldn't bother upgrading.

Again, even that depends on why you have the 980 Ti. If you got it so that you can get 90+ fps then yeah. If you only have a 60 hz display, of any resolution it doesn't matter, then I wouldn't bother upgrading.

jep, you could just get a new CPU when bottlenecking is too noticeable for you

I have had both and i still have to say intel because most of my amd fx processors that i have used have had a really high heat output.

the only reason why AMD is so great is because GAMES aren't really that CPU Demanding why pay for a i7 when you can get a Fx 8-core for a fraction of the price unless your rendering you don't need a i7 extreme your better off putting that money toward the GPU 

the only reason why AMD is so great is because GAMES aren't really that CPU Demanding why pay for a i7 when you can get a Fx 8-core for a fraction of the price unless your rendering you don't need a i7 extreme your better off putting that money toward the GPU 

why are you comparing an fx 8000 series cpu to an i7 for gaming when the i3 is what you should be comparing it to for gaming

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The whole "games aren't CPU demanding" is such a joke... games utilise your CPU and, as proven by this article you can get better performance out of a freaking i3 and pay half as much as you would for an 8350. Even skipping the i3 the i5 is the same price or lower.

The whole "games aren't CPU demanding" is such a joke... games utilise your CPU and, as proven by this article you can get better performance out of a freaking i3 and pay half as much as you would for an 8350. Even skipping the i3 the i5 is the same price or lower.

they do use CPU but honestly AMD is just a amazing value if you have the money for an i5 have at it but why do that when you can get an A10 or a Fx 8000 there shouldn't be any bottlenecking with the fx 8 core its just a i5 hyper threading is best rendering somthing or Zbrush or autodesk maya 

they do use CPU but honestly AMD is just a amazing value if you have the money for an i5 have at it but why do that when you can get an A10 or a Fx 8000 there shouldn't be any bottlenecking with the fx 8 core its just a i5 hyper threading is best rendering somthing or Zbrush or autodesk maya 

for gaming the i3 is the better cpu and there debating that but if you want to do stuff like render videos than get the fx 8000 series just dont get the fx 6000 series or lower they dont have nor deserve a spot

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Can

You

Not

Read

The i5 is cheaper than the FX Octa series. You can get a 4460 with a cheap mobo and stock cooler for less than the price of an 8320 with an expensive motherboard to make sure your house doesn't burn down, a Hyper 212 evo and potentially a more expensive PSU....

You admitted that the i5 performs better. If it's cheaper then on what realm does it make sense to buy something more expensive that is worse that is strictly for a practical task?