French magazine fined €10,000 for writing about piracy

jos
a-french-magazine-was-just-fined-10000-f

French magazine Download (Telechargement in French) has been fined 10,000 for releasing an issue showing readers how and where to access pirated film, television, and music online, TorrentFreak reports.
The magazine released a special issue last summer advertising the "the best software and websites to download for free" on its front cover. Inside, it gave an overview of torrent clients such as iTorrent and BitComent, and also explained to readers that you can often find pirated downloads through Google Search.
In France, it is forbidden to "knowingly encourage" the use of software primarily used to share copyrighted content. This is the first time a news outlet has been found guilty of encouraging piracy under this section of French law, the TorrentFreak report added.

The question is does it voilates freedom of speech

so far freedom of press

yes. you get fined. no censoring happens though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

That's still a form of censorship for firms that can't afford to absorb a loss like that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Freedom to do anything doesn't mean you're not responsible of the consequences. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

That's still a form of censorship for firms that can't afford to absorb a loss like that.

this

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

free as in free speech, not as in free from fines :(

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

It's not censorship no, but this is still a way of, "you can't say that" which basically comes down to censorship.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

showing a way and telling to do something are 2 things, so imo the magazine isn't responsible if they mentioned it's forbidden by law

Consequences if what you do is illegal. Do you think listing a bunch of websites is illegal!?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

this

See below

It's not censorship no, but this is still a way of, "you can't say that" which basically comes down to censorship.

showing a way and telling to do something are 2 things, so imo the magazine isn't responsible if they mentioned it's forbidden by law

Displaying information is not necessarily "encouraging" people to use that information.

Consequences if what you do is illegal. Do you think listing a bunch of websites is illegal!?

Yes.

Yes, but still the question remains - is that censorship?

For example, imagine if a magazine would teach you how to build a bomb or a small scale nuclear reactor? Or teach you how to search to find such information?

For example, imagine if a magazine would teach you how to build a bomb or a small scale nuclear reactor? Or teach you how to search to find such information?

Technically yes, that's still censorship (although you can find schematics and designs for reactors on Wikipedia. Good luck getting materials for it though lol) Whether or not it's justifiable censorship is another question.

we had a magazine that did the bomb thingy once, under the idea of it being a "experiment" and with warning labels all over the place, but still the government/other people, didn't even bother with it, not only because of press freedom, but also because it teached about chemistry.

This would be a good example of how things spread over the internet without reaching the official channels.

Although once again it comes down on the wording used, if they didn't warn/mention it being illegal then it's partly their fault for not properly educating about the subject, although that doesn't seem as a reason to fine them since it's common practice for media to leave out details.

side jump/offtopic.

.... (although you can find schematics and designs for reactors on Wikipedia. Good luck getting materials for it though lol) ...

there are sites that sell raw elements in small and safe amounts, so that people can see them of their own and/or make a periodic table.

Technically yes, that's still censorship (although you can find schematics and designs for reactors on Wikipedia. Good luck getting materials for it though lol) Whether or not it's justifiable censorship is another question.

Good point :)

we had a magazine that did the bomb thingy once, under the idea of it being a "experiment" and with warning labels all over the place, but still the government/other people, didn't even bother with it, not only because of press freedom, but also because it teached about chemistry.

This would be a good example of how things spread over the internet without reaching the official channels.

Although once again it comes down on the wording used, if they didn't warn/mention it being illegal then it's partly their fault for not properly educating about the subject, although that doesn't seem as a reason to fine them since it's common practice for media to leave out details.

side jump/offtopic.

there are sites that sell raw elements in small and safe amounts, so that people can see them of their own and/or make a periodic table.

Well there are bombs and bombs. I said is as a tool that can harm people and property.

Well there are bombs and bombs. I said is as a tool that can harm people and property.

the idea remains the same, a home made bomb for whatever practice isn't legal in most countries i know(think/guess) at least here it is.

well they "knowingly encourage" this is very different than "for educational purposes" 

they should be fined

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

While I personally don't care if they write about it or not, If something is illegal, you shouldn't give instructions on how to do it in press. What the hell were they thinking?! 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Well thank fuck this magazine has told me, cause I looked and looked and could never find this piracy thing people speak of.

Displaying information is not necessarily "encouraging" people to use that information.

Displaying information does encourage other people though. The reason why biased news networks exist is because they encourage people to follow their point of view and bias. Or how watching a sports game will encourage you to play the sport or get better in it. If your statement was true, then we should be allowed to post links that lead to pirating software (which shouldn't be allowed simply because it encourages pirating). 

Yes.

Not sure if troll so I won't respond on this...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I think we should be more quiet about pirating, the use of adblock and even "free windows 10 for insiders". We are a special kind of people, we should only teach our children "how to get a free movie" so that everything will remain unchaged.

Just like lockpicking before Google was a thing.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Displaying information does encourage other people though. The reason why biased news networks exist is because they encourage people to follow their point of view and bias. Or how watching a sports game will encourage you to play the sport or get better in it. If your statement was true, then we should be allowed to post links that lead to pirating software (which shouldn't be allowed simply because it encourages pirating). 

From a legal standpoint, displaying information is not necessarily encouraging the use of it. News networks influence people because they include opinions and arguments. That's not just "displaying information"