Netflix is testing ads in its original content

GoodBytes

It has been reported that a small number of users of Netflix are noticing something new when watching Netflix original content such as the famous House of Card show. And those are ads.

GettyImages-123937535.0.jpg

Not everyone has them. Netflix confirm they are testing this. The ads aren't TV style ads, but rather, at least so far, ads about other original content from Netflix. We don't know that, if they decide to put it, if these will turned into actual ads of product, one day, or remain promoting other shows from Netflix themselves.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8700921/netflix-advertising-house-ads-test

What do you think about ads in Netflix? Are you ok if it remains to be advertising only Netflix very own original content? How about product ads?

Wha?
But.. You pay for Netflix? Paid content = no ads..? right?

I'm so confused right now

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are there really that many original netflix series? I know pretty much all of them.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Screenshots?

they are advertising netflix stuff so isnt that called suggestions 

but netflix is paid so why they need ads ?

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Wha?

Well I kinda understand why they are doing. Hopefully they are not as bad Showtime. I rented Dexter Season 3 and when it launched it had an ad for Dexter Season 3 to buy it. I could not skip the ad either.  

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

You pay for TV and get ads, so I don't see how this is much different. Just the fact that you pay what you get for, and with netflix that's waiting for your shows to appear on netflix.

Wouldn't mind ads as long as they're pre and post show, not interrupting the middle of the show.

And its not wrong for them to show ads on pay TV or Netflix. Its a form of revenue, and they have revenue targets. If they don't hit it then they either limit their content, increase their subscription, find new revenue streams (advertisements) or go belly up. Take your pick.

You pay for TV and get ads, so I don't see how this is much different. Just the fact that you pay what you get for, and with netflix that's waiting for your shows to appear on netflix.

There's quite a fucking difference: You pay 10 but only for the content not the delivery method or infrastructure needed for it. There's no costs of getting a cable or a satellite dish to your home since you pay for that separately by requiring an internet connection.

I must admit that this new development on the part of Hollywood is frustratingly clever: They've intentionally licence just a handful of competing services and now they will force adds on all of them, making sure non-add supported content it's always relegated to second place since they can just say "fuck you, we won't license content for you"

It's all the same to me I don't watch TV anymore, like at all. But expect a big backlash from most Netflix users.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You pay for Netflix. So you shouldn't get adds.

In the UK< you pay for the BBC. As such, there are no adverts in the middle of shows on the BBC. Only at the end for other shows, and only around 1 minute or 2 at most in length.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Hollywood doesn't force Netflix or anyone to display ads on their content. Hollywood negotiates a licensing fee, and then Netflix comes up with way to meet that fee. Whether it be by paying per stream, a flat rate, or by giving a share of ad revenue. Netflix could take a stand and say they won't include ads on any of their streams, but again, that would end up with either higher subscription fees or less content.

They're basically saying that they're more likely to lose subscribers by reducing content offerings, or by raising subscription costs. You're 8.99/mo is only enough to pay for limited advertisments, not ad free.

So far they've also only shown ads for their own original content, so it might be as simple as them seeing a lot of hit and run subscribers for House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black and they want to convince them to stick around to watch Grace and Frankie (or whatever its called), Bloodline, Hemlock Grove etc. etc. And then they can strategically release those seasons so they can convert more and more hit and run subscribers into yearly subscribers.

Hulu does the same thing...

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

To be honest if it's small 2-3min ads at the end of an episode or every other episode then it really wont be that big of a deal, I never had an issue with BBC ads back when I used to watch TV on an actual TV lol, if it's pretty much the same thing then cool who cares. 

But if it's ads during the show or ones that last like 5 mins... That would just take the piss, and it would become more convenient to just watch shows and films through 'other' means again and save the £5 a month or w/e. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

you pay your cable provider, not the tv networks themselves :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

but netflix is paid so why they need ads ?

they are stuff on netflix so its not really ads but suggestions and i dont think netflix is getting paid advertising themselves

I don't like it but if they are limited and short sure. But give me an option to pay $1 more and not see any. Good way to get people to pay an extra buck. 

The moment I see an ad is the moment I drop netflix. I don't care if it's just a small advertisement for their other products...in fact that makes it worse because they aren't actually gaining any revenue from it...it's just to annoy you into watching their other series I already know about and haven't watched because I don't want to. I paid for this service already,have been for years, a service I've become annoyed with already due to lack of content I care about and lack of meaningful filters that let me weed out the crap shows nobody watches.

Wha?

This. Imho you already pay for Netflix, if I'd still get ads even while paying for the service I'll just switch to full on pirating and/or buying certain blurays if I REALLY enjoyed them.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

We pay for Netflix to not have ads.please no.

I will pirate everything if I have to. Don't make me

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

There's been autoplaying trailers at the end of TV series for ages.

If they're cutting into the middle of TV shows, they're idiots. Even if they're paid.

Netflix replied that "they're not ads in the traditional sense. They are trailers for Netflix originals..."

I didn't even know this was a new thing why does anyone care lmao

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP