Netflix is testing ads in its original content

GoodBytes

You pay for HuluPlus as well, they still have ads, but great shows and its awesome overall.

Well that seems like a pretty backwards service to me, to be honest.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I could see this as a valid method if they were doing a free version of Netflix. I pay my Netflix fee BECAUSE there are no ads; adding ads into the mix, even if it is there own, would make me go back to downloading every single show i've ever watched, while using a VPN i pay for.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Wha?

But.. You pay for Netflix? Paid content = no ads..? right?

I'm so confused right now

YOU, sir, have never had a cable subscription. You almost pay for the right to see ads, it's so bad.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

YOU, sir, have never had a cable subscription. You almost pay for the right to see ads, it's so bad.

Well I do have it, but I personally feel like it works different from Netflix or whatever.

I'll quote myself real quick, with my opinion on it.

Never used Hulu, so I wouldn't know.

And you can't compare Netflix to cable service, because with Netflix you pay more directly.

With cable service you buy access to the network, which in term gives you access to a channel which has content.

While on Netflix you pay the content creator/content gatherer directly. 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The day I get an ad on my netflix is the day I unsubscribe and look for alternatives.

The ONLY reason I don't use Hulu is ads. literally, only reason.

for me, personally, it's like cryptonite.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Well I do have it, but I personally feel like it works different from Netflix or whatever.

I'll quote myself real quick, with my opinion on it.

You don't pay any differently on Netflx at all...

You pay a fee per month for access to their library of content, the EXACT same way a cable provider works. You do not pay anyone directly.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

You don't pay any differently on Netflx at all...

You pay a fee per month for access to their library of content, the EXACT same way a cable provider works. You do not pay anyone directly.

You pay Netflix for access to a library of content, while you pay a cable company money to get access to sort of a square of all kind of libraries.

You still have to pay (indrectly via commercials on TV) to get in all of those libraries.

Do you get what I am saying? Netflix grants you access to their library, while with cable you still have other big companies who have the libraries. You just got a way to get closer to all those libraries, by paying for cable.

You pay for Netflix. So you shouldn't get adds.

In the UK< you pay for the BBC. As such, there are no adverts in the middle of shows on the BBC. Only at the end for other shows, and only around 1 minute or 2 at most in length.

Aye, that's exactly what Netflix are doing. I don't see the fuss tbh, the article says they aren't implementing advertising, they are testing trailers for their other original content.

On the other hand, the BBC is a pretty bad example, people are forced to pay for a TV licence, and even if they wanted to, the BBC isn't allowed to advertise any products. The BBC is an anomaly, a throw back to state ownership and a bygone era. A closer example in the UK would be SKY, not only do they charge a subscription fee, they also show an abundance of adverts. By that standard, Netflix are doing a great job.

An other reason not to sign up for netflix than.

Get the picture if I pay for something I don't want adds, I pay because I value my time.

No matter what the adds are about, if I pay I don't want them seriously, get the picture already TV and movie industry is still so far behind, look at the music and game industry and learn from it.

I pay for all my games, I pay monthly to stream my songs (deezer) and yet no good paid option is available for TV and movies (good I mean service+Price+Selection).

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

An other reason not to sign up for netflix than.

Get the picture if I pay for something I don't want adds, I pay because I value my time.

No matter what the adds are about, if I pay I don't want them seriously, get the picture already TV and movie industry is still so far behind, look at the music and game industry and learn from it.

I pay for all my games, I pay monthly to stream my songs (deezer) and yet no good paid option is available for TV and movies (good I mean service+Price+Selection).

Foxtel used to be a good paid for option, but as usual, ads intruded.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This has been confirmed many times now that it wont be happening.

/thread

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This has been confirmed many times now that it wont be happening.

/thread

I've been getting these "ads" that were mentioned. There's not so much "ads" as they are "trailers" for Netflix's own content. 

They ONLY play at the end of the episode after the credits have rolled. They don't play before the show and they don't play during the show. So it's really not and interference with your viewing content unless you're really that bothered by the added 15-30 sec. or whatever at the end of the credits. 

It is amazing at how quickly people started bashing Netflix without even knowing what was actually happening. :-/

I've been getting these "ads" that were mentioned. There's not so much "ads" as they are "trailers" for Netflix's own content. 

They ONLY play at the end of the episode after the credits have rolled. They don't play before the show and they don't play during the show. So it's really not and interference with your viewing content unless you're really that bothered by the added 15-30 sec. or whatever at the end of the credits. 

It is amazing at how quickly people started bashing Netflix without even knowing what was actually happening. :-/

So they are setting their ads out the same way as Showtime (Foxtel) then, Good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You pay Netflix for access to a library of content, while you pay a cable company money to get access to sort of a square of all kind of libraries.

You still have to pay (indrectly via commercials on TV) to get in all of those libraries.

Do you get what I am saying? Netflix grants you access to their library, while with cable you still have other big companies who have the libraries. You just got a way to get closer to all those libraries, by paying for cable.

That would only be correct if Netflix makes ALL of the content on it's service itself. Which is not true. Netflix still works exactly like how you describe a cable company.