Computer chip made of "wood".

WereCat

Source: http://www.news.wisc.edu/23805

And yes I looked if it is in here already posted but I havent seen it so sorry if repost.

In an effort to alleviate the environmental burden of electronic devices, a team of University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers has collaborated with researchers in the Madison-based U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) to develop a surprising solution: a semiconductor chip made almost entirely of wood.

The research team, led by UW-Madison electrical and computer engineering professor Zhenqiang "Jack" Ma, described the new device in a paper published today (May 26, 2015) by the journal Nature Communications. The paper demonstrates the feasibility of replacing the substrate, or support layer, of a computer chip, with cellulose nanofibril (CNF), a flexible, biodegradable material made from wood.

"The majority of material in a chip is support. We only use less than a couple of micrometers for everything else," Ma says. "Now the chips are so safe you can put them in the forest and fungus will degrade it. They become as safe as fertilizer."

"If you take a big tree and cut it down to the individual fiber, the most common product is paper. The dimension of the fiber is in the micron stage," Cai says. "But what if we could break it down further to the nano scale? At that scale you can make this material, very strong and transparent CNF paper."

biodegradable_chips.JPG?1432654003

Now we can finaly build wooden PCs and when someone insult you for having one you can just smile and let them scratch their head in confusion!

This is really great. If it is enviroment friendly as they say this may lead to some prety spectacular eco solutions.

This post has been promoted to an article

Yes now my PC can be more of a fire hazard.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

@WoodenMarker? :P

This seems pretty neat, but I don't see it being adapted in large scale in the near future, nor will it have big performances. Sustainability is a plus though :)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

This seems pretty neat, but I don't see it being adapted in large scale in the near future, nor will it have big performances. Sustainability is a plus though :)

Well if it can be really small I believe we can make "smart" paper.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

And self degrade over time. This has absolutely no application outside of sticking it in a plant to find out some biological readings.

I think that some people will get creative with this and may find a lot of useful applications for it.

I think that some people will get creative with this and may find a lot of useful applications for it.

I meant in desktop applications but sure, I'll just nod my head and agree with you.

And self degrade over time. This has absolutely no application outside of sticking it in a plant to find out some biological readings.

Which would be absolutely fantastic...

Computerwaste is a big problem. If we want the "internet of things" it is good that stuff gets biodegradable. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Yes now my PC can be more of a fire hazard.

Do not let AMD know about this!!!!!! /s

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

someone seems to have forgotten what happens if wood overheats...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

someone seems to have forgotten what happens if wood overheats...

Someone seems to have no idea what auto ignition temperature is, or how stupid there statement is

Someone seems to have no idea what auto ignition temperature is, or how stupid there statement is

Indeed.  for the record, paper has an ignition temperature of around 450°F (230-ish°C), give or take 20° depending on the axact composition.  Wood can auto ignite anywhere between 200 and 450°C.  You could make an entire gaming PC out of this stuff and there would be zero risk of auto ignition.

Mind you, if you do get a short-circuit and there's a spark, the PC could indeed burn to the ground.

Indeed.  for the record, paper has an ignition temperature of around 450°F (230-ish°C), give or take 20° depending on the axact composition.  Wood can auto ignite anywhere between 200 and 450°C.  You could make an entire gaming PC out of this stuff and there would be zero risk of auto ignition.

Mind you, if you do get a short-circuit and there's a spark, the PC could indeed burn to the ground.

That's also assuming the nano material follows that of the bulk material, which based on knowledge of other nano materials is unlikely.

It will not self degrade itself if its not on the ground outside. Its biodegradable. Its not oxygen reactant or anything.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

not the point, wood starts suffering from heat damage way before it ignites.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So does very material, what's your point?

Do not let AMD know about this!!!!!! /s

Must. Not. Make. Joke. About. AMD. And. Fire.

Oh+i+see+its+funny+because+its+sexual+ro

GET IT EVERYONE IT4S BECAUSE AMD RUNS HOT

And the new virus... Termites!

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

WOOD....

SEMICONDUCTOR................

2664327.jpg

MUCH WOW, SUCH SUCCESS :o

It it really a good idea to make CPUs biodegradable?

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

always a plus to find alternate methods of making things. helps prevent disasters

Probably has better IPC than FX chips.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

There's a joke in here somewhere... An electrical component made of wood? Wouldn't that be a "woodchip"? Huehuehue