Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

No it isn't.

Why ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Someone on /r/pcmasterrace dug this up, apparently the shared revenue isn't fixed at 75% given to Valve. The amount received is determined by the game's developer or publisher.

I'm confused. Obviously 75 percent is not retained by Valve. How much of it goes to Bethesda and how much does Valve retain?

I'm confused. Obviously 75 percent is not retained by Valve. How much of it goes to Bethesda and how much does Valve retain?

Bethesda is the entity taking the 75% cut. Not sure about how much Valve retains.

Distribution is 45% publisher, 30% Valve and 25% mod developer. But the question is, why does the mod developer get 5% less than Valve? They did all the work, not Valve. They should be getting a bigger cut.

Bethesda is the entity taking the 75% cut. Not sure about how much Valve retains.

Distribution is 45% publisher, 30% Valve and 25% mod developer. But the question is, why does the mod developer get 5% less than Valve? They did all the work, not Valve. They should be getting a bigger cut.

So according to the terms you posted probably valve defines the ratio for their revenue in proportion to the publishers revenue. In this case 1.5:1 for Bethesda:valve. But it's Bethesda who decided that 25% goes to the mod creator. And so then the remaining amount is split between Bethesda and valve 1.5:1. So if Bethesda had decided that the content creator gets 50 percent then the remainder for Bethesda and valve shrinks. But their split of the 50 percent remains same.

I suspected as much, though it is curious that it's similar to what they share on other Valve games so they might have suggested it to Bethesda it's still apparently ultimately up to Bethesda to decide how much to share it seems, good find.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ybt8FLQ.png

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

I would agree with TotalBiscuit. I mean Valve didn't consider this enough. It's exploiting market position that Steam is in since it haves a pseudo monopoly.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Have you ever played the Skyrim mods? Calling them base game standard honestly is quite ridiculous.

no, but i played oblivion

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Is there something in place to stop copied content? Like if someone compiled others' mods into like an armor pack and sells it... though i think it said something about adding contributors.

Fractal Design Define S | Asus X570 TUF Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3600mhz ram | Nvidia RTX 3080 FE |

Corsair RMx 1000w PSU | Corsair H115 Elite Cappellix | Micron M600 M.2 256Gb SSDs | WD SN850X 4TB NVME | 2TB Samsung 860evo | 1440p 240hz LG UltraGear 27GR95QE OLED | 1440p 155hz Dell S2719DGF | LG 29WP60G-B 1080p 75hz Ultrawide | GMMK TKL | Glorious Model O-

Is there something in place to stop copied content? Like if someone compiled others' mods into like an armor pack and sells it... though i think it said something about adding contributors.

DMCA takedowns but that's dubious at best.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Same ^^

You might find things start moving from Nexus to Steam if they can get paid for it.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

You might find things start moving from Nexus to Steam if they can get paid for it.

Yeah, just had a conversation with someone on YouTube who said that.

Guess I'll be downloading a lot of stuff this weekend ^^

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

THIS...is why people need to know about torrents and p2p. Because sure you can buy them, but there will be rampant plagiarism and Valve wants 75% of all revenue anyway. That isn't fair to the user OR the content creator.

@Daring

So you're okay with donation system ??? but aren't those unfair too ??? as FINES, SKSE and others don't get a cut do they ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What happens when this is added to a game I don't own on Steam, but I own on another platform like GOG?
I guess I would be unable to get said mod because I bought the game from the wrong place? Has something like that ever happened before?

i have made a couple Skyrim mods and will stay on the nexus and i will  never charge anything for them. 

If I want to support a mod maker, I would donate.

Not this.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Just a reminder that SOE gives their modders a 50% cut for content (even cosmetic pieces). 25% is insulting.

What's to stop Nexus from implementing the same system now? Nothing.

The other issue? When mods are free, people know they can't expect perfection. They have no assurance at compatibility. Now? People will be pissed when mod combos start breaking the game.

Did either side license the BOSS or Loot utilities that order mods in the correct order? Are they gonna license the mod managers that have those features built in? Did they even ask for permission? They certainly don't own those programs.

Bethesda and Valve don't get to double dip. Owners already bought the game once. The idea they are owed money in perpetuity for mods is greedy as fuck.

I can't believe the amount of denial there is that people can't accept that Valve happily went along with this. What the fuck does Valve do to necessitate a bigger cut than the content creators? I guess they need to get their 30% hardon no matter how it happens.

What's next? A Early Access for mods? Mod pre orders? DLC for mods? Knowing the greed of Valve, why not?

Yes. GabeN is not your friend. He couldn't give a tinier shit about you. Just your wallet is what matters. Their near monopoly has allowed this. Enjoy it.

Can't wait for W10 and the one true gaming backend to show up and stomp Steam into the ground and show the unwashed masses just how disillusioned they were.

I think I'm the only on ehere who doesn't really use mods.

I dont either, never have, never will

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I dont either, never have, never will

But but... Mods are awesome and sometimes the mod makes you feel like you're playing another game.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What does SOE stand for ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Inb4 Skyrim's CBBE mod becomes paid.Nah...no way.

Adult mods are not allowed on the Workshop as far as I know.

I've always used Nexus, myself, and would continue to anyway. I do worry about the effect this could have on other modding communities, though. Why post your work on Nexus for free if you can charge for it on Steam Workshop?

Again, unless it's an adult mod.

Maybe RMS could enlighten the world on this issue...

image001.jpg

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.