Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

Now that they've said they'll pay for mods, and now that people are buying them, places like Nexus might actually lose talented submitters who are lured by "easy money".

Fairly sad precedent has been set

Damn you for reminding me of reality sir, damn you.

Although I would not say all is lost. Look at the Lost Alpha mod for STALKER SoC, it's not even really a mod because you don't have to have SoC the original, to download and play it, and it's completely free.

While it crashes and has bugs (let's face it, even with a "high end" rig, the original SoC crashes a lot), when it does run, it's amazingly good compared to the original.

And, it's free, 100%

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

@Victorious Secret I've actually been upset by this and with valve for a couple of weeks now.  I knew this was coming, and this 75/25 split was also stated (I hoped that it was going to be wrong).

So, I don't know man.  Thats fucken DRMs for ya I guess.

don't forget that they need to make 100 dollars before getting their paychecks. if valvea going to do a cut then the revenue split should be reversed

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Apparently people are being banned for a week for "speaking out" against this. Of course, most of the people getting banned are posting ASCII middle fingers with "DLC" (also in ASCII) after it (and then whining about getting punished for their immaturity), but what the fuck Valve.

what the fuck gave them the balls to take 75%? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's good to see the community backlash against Bethesda➕ Valve taking 75 percent. Hopefully this forces them to rethink.

It's good to see the community backlash against Bethesda➕ Valve taking 75 percent. Hopefully this forces them to rethink.

Oh is not just that. In fact that is not even the most outrage inducing one: On nexus right now most of the comments are "Fuck Chesko and Isoku" because they are charging for their very popular mods, some are even asking for them to be banned off nexus which I don't think they will but some mods are so insane they just might.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So hold on a minute, Valve is implementing a "voluntary" premium for mods (which have been free since before DOOM), for script kiddies to milk out of gamers and for the hard-working modders to earn a mere 25% of the asking price (rest going straight to Valve), and some people are actually OK with this?

When was it that the Paypal donations and bitcoin tip jar were suddenly not good enough? You actually want to spend more to give less to the people that perhaps deserve some gratitude?

To the people supporting the notion, take off your GabeN shock collars for one minute and please look at the bigger picture here.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

So hold on a minute, Valve is implementing a "voluntary" premium for mods (which have been free since before DOOM), for script kiddies to milk out of gamers and for the hard-working modders to earn a mere 25% of the asking price (rest going straight to Valve), and some people are actually OK with this?

When was it that the Paypal donations and bitcoin tip jar were suddenly not good enough? You actually want to spend more to give less to the people that perhaps deserve some gratitude?

To the people supporting the notion, take off your GabeN shock collars for one minute and please look at the bigger picture here.

Sheep, sheep everywhere. 

I'm telling you, this wouldn't be the reaction if EA, Ubisoft or MS did this. People would be fucking outraged to no end that it happened. But Snah, Valve is 2legit2quit

I can't believe the amount of bitching from people who don't want to pay for the work someone else did.

This has the potential to destroy the modding community as we know it. Also, what about the mods that are being sold that require something like skse? Do they get a cut for their work? no they dont. This is a terribly implemented solution and a greedy move on both valves and Bethesdas part. If this does not stop soon, the great mods will become over run with crap that is pumped out simply to make a quick buck.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I can't believe the amount of bitching from people who don't want to pay for the work someone else did.

Valve has effectively murdered the mod community in a way that not even EA would have dared attempted. GG GabeN. 

Nobody wants to pay for shit content that used to be well maintained and wasn't degraded just to make a quick buck, in this case: 

Isoku actually replaced all the custom assets in his Wet and Cold mod with his own (arguably not as good) assets to get it on the Workshop. Literally a decline in quality due to monetization, lol.

He did more than just that. The new version of Wet and Cold he's been hyping is only available via the paywall. He didn't update the nexus version. This is a very sad thing for games that rely on the modding community to continue (All Bethesda, and general, open world games that allow modding). I really hope this is an isolated thing or many game devs, like the Total War series devs, state that mod creators aren't allowed to charge for mods.

So yea, this is hardly some positive change. People are already gimping their mods, dropping support for Nexus ones, all in the name of the almighty dollar. You all are happily getting fucked by Valve and you don't care. This GIF is pretty damn fitting for the attitudes you seem to have towards the "DAE VALVE CAN DO NO WRONG?!?!!" 

u9792s4.jpg

Here is some more, Valve is now REMOVING DONATION LINKS for people who want to donate OUTSIDE OF STEAM. 

wW5j5yu.jpg

Valve is banning people from discussing these changes

x3PPk36.jpg

ZMTfcjk.jpg

/r/PCMASTERRACE Be like:

ERMERGARD VALVE SUPPORTING USRSS SOOO GUUUDDD

But seriously... If it was 25 Valve 75 Publisher it would be fine, but the other way around? What the fucking, fuck valve?

Is it just me, or has Origin been seeming more appealing lately?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

/r/PCMASTERRACE Be like:

ERMERGARD VALVE SUPPORTING USRSS SOOO GUUUDDD

But seriously... If it was 25 Valve 75 Publisher it would be fine, but the other way around? What the fucking, fuck valve?

Is it just me, or has Origin been seeming more appealing lately?

Origin has always been more appealing. Better free game weekends, better customer service, ACTUAL RETURNS on games; people just jerk the chain of GabeN too hard to realize that better services exist. 

All we need now is Windows 10 to roll around with its gaming front end, have MS say "mod away, we don't care" and watch the GabeNintes shit their pants that their hallowed service is turning into a tramp who works the street corner just for a quick buck. 

Origin has always been more appealing. Better free game weekends, better customer service, ACTUAL RETURNS on games; people just jerk the chain of GabeN too hard to realize that better services exist. 

All we need now is Windows 10 to roll around with its gaming front end, have MS say "mod away, we don't care" and watch the GabeNintes shit their pants that their hallowed service is turning into a tramp who works the street corner just for a quick buck. 

PCMR Doing something that involves admitting steam did something bad?

You're funny.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

PCMR Doing something that involves admitting steam did something bad?

You're funny.

Weirder things have happened, as seen by the unfolding events of today. The PCMR reddit is basically ready to burn Valve down over this, they aren't that amused.

For once they're doing their job of actually talking about PC gaming and not just making dank shitposts about consoles. Ironic, even. They don't stop with the act until their backyard is on fire.

Nobody wants to pay for shit content that used to be well maintained and wasn't degraded just to make a quick buck, in this case

On the long term the market will regulate itself. If nobody wants to pay for shit content then they won't. Free stuff will still be there. But it's important to have a monetization method for modders who want to use it, it's important long term to reward content producers. Free content won't go away.

The problem I have is Bethesda➕Valve being too greedy taking the majority share of money. They should take a portion but the majority should go to the content producers.

Some things:

• I don't believe Gabe had much say in this. Right now he's more focused on supporting charitable racing teams than Valve.
  • Perhaps you guys should actually check out /r/pcmasterrace instead of automatically assuming they support this idea. They've been declaring Gabe a "false prophet" and calling Valve the "new EA" all damn day, even discussing switching the circlejerk away from Valve and towards CD Projekt RED.

No it isn't.

Compensating developers for their work is a good idea, but paying for them is the furthest away from the right thing to do possible. Integrating a donation system through something like Patreon (yes, I know of Patreon's reputation) would be much more desirable. Mods can still be free, but developers can still be compensated for their work. In the end, everyone is happy, and if people like the mod enough they can give the developers money for their hard work so they can continue to develop mods. But no, that makes sense, and we can't have that.

Here is some more, Valve is now REMOVING DONATION LINKS for people who want to donate OUTSIDE OF STEAM. 

wW5j5yu.jpg

If I may interrupt the jerk for a moment, in that specific example, the mod dev was using a tiny.cc-shortened URL for the donation link, which Valve removes as a security precaution. The description as a whole was copy-pasted from the Nexus. Here's the same mod on the Skyrim Nexus. So no censorship of external donation links, but 100% sensationalism.

This whole thing is almost fucking pyramid scheme levels of bullshit.

A modder has to sell $400 to get a cheque from Valve.

You know how many 0.35 cent swords that is?

I've been modding since I was 10 years old learning how to make my own skins and I've known dozens of other modders over the years.  Some went on to develop games professionally, some are still modding in their spare time for free.  

This is absolutely disgusting.  There is going to be so much bullshit of people trying to sell other people's work, people trolling 3D asset repositories to throw up generic sword models, people stealing assets from other games and reskinning them for wholesale.  AND NONE OF THEM WILL SEE A FUCKING DIME BECAUSE VALVE TAKES A 75% CUT AND REQUIRES THAT THEY MAKE $100 BEFORE THEY GET PAID.  NO ONE IS GOING TO SELL $400 WORTH OF ANYTHING.

I do think it's FUCKING HILARIOUS that Valve is offering 24 hour refunds on mods, but have yet to offer any sort of proper refund system for their main storefront.  

Free content won't go away.

People with skill and talent already left to UDK/UE4, Unity or iOS/Google Play years ago. 

What you're going to see is the steam workshop become another windows phone app store.  A race to the fucking bottom in functionality and trying to make a quick buck.  Pretty soon the Skyrim workshop page will look like the DOTA2 or CSGO pages.  Cosmetic items all day 'erry'day.  No more total conversions, no more questlines or unique content.  Aesthetic content that is reasonably popular will rule the day.

It's not about paying for work, it's about what happens to the modding ecosystem once someone can make money off content.

Lets say I release a big questline mod that I poured 500 hours into for free on the Nexus.  There is nothing stopping you from trying to sell that mod on the Steam workshop.  There's no regulation, there's no quality control, there's no oversight.  The only way for me to stop you from doing that is for me to sell it.  Moreover, with the way Valve is taking a cut.... no one is going to see a dime.  It's purely a way for Valve to get a bunch of easy income.

It's windows phone app store 2.0 and trust me, as an owner of a windows phone, the app store is fucking worthless.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

75%?

I hope with all the cents Valve will be making with that sort of attitude they can buy a whole lot of cactus dildos to sit on.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

75% is split between Bethesda and Valve right? Shouldn't we be crucifying both of them?

Paid DLCs, now paid mods. What we'll see next?

75% cut is ridiculous, I would prefer to donate directly.

And failing to act, for fear of the risk, is no different than a living death. No matter what world you’re in.

Steam summer sale confirmed

G0O2R0b.jpg

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Someone on /r/pcmasterrace dug this up, apparently the shared revenue isn't fixed at 75% given to Valve. The amount received is determined by the game's developer or publisher.

1ap6ACn.png

As a precaution, I'd suggest against getting information about this from /r/pcmasterrace until the content is at least 2 hours old, as much of it seems to be highly sensationalized. Keep in mind I'm not saying paying for mods is a good thing; developers should be compensated for their work, but donations would be the best way for them to be compensated. But /r/pcmasterrace is up in flames about this right now and will believe anything they see without doing any further investigation.