Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

Then pirate the mod.

No. If I want a mod, I'm getting it from the Nexus until Valve changes this. I'm okay with giving a mod developer compensation for his or her work but not upright paying for it, especially a mod that adds in a few new particle effects.

To be honest I am more in favor of a donation system instead of paying for the mods. Payment is purely optional, but mod developers can still get paid for their work.

You pay for the experience, if I make a mod and I want people to pay me for playing it then fine it's my mod and if you don't want to pay then don't play.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yea, cause the mods up until now haven't been professional at all........

LOL

And they don't deserve to be played for...

And they can't get better....

Lol [emoji12] [emoji20]

You make no sense.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Unless half the mods are paying a health sum to the teams behind SkyUI, ENB, Unofficial skyrim patch, FNIS and any other framework/fix/major mod for using their resources, then this could be a bad idea.  I've a hard time seeing this as anything more then Valve trotting on over to a trough, burying their snout in and leaving $#!7 behind.

Think that's bad enough?

Certain steam users are already ripping mods off of Nexus and are putting them on Steam and claiming them to be their own in order to get a quick buck because of this.

/r/pcmasterrace is having an uproar because of this bullshit.

Valve didn't just open a can of worms, they've created a huge cluster-fuck and have divided a game's modding community.

Imagine if EA did this for example, this forum and many other places would be in flames because of it.

Valve shouldn't be given a free pass because of their so-called 'perceived goodwill'.

No. If I want a mod, I'm getting it from the Nexus until Valve changes this. I'm okay with giving a mod developer compensation for his or her work but not upright paying for it, especially a mod that adds in a few new particle effects.

Same argument can be made for games, a lot of pirates use this argument, I will pay if the games is good and if it isn't then I won't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

And they don't deserve to be played for...

And they can't get better....

Lol [emoji12] [emoji20]

You make no sense.

I make no sense? Says the man who intentionally makes backward posts?

High quality mods, scripts, ENBs and straight up expansions existed before this. Did creators bitch about payment? No.

Valve is taking their work, pay walling it and you're all accepting it.

Tell me, are FINES, SKSE and other backend development apps getting a cut of these funds? Cause without those, not a single mod would work. So tell me, lickers of GabeNs nether region, does that sound fair?

You're gonna start charging money, give it to everyone involved in appropriation of the work they did. If anyone else had done this, you'd be up in arms with anger.

Same argument can be made for games, a lot of pirates use this argument, I will pay if the games is good and if it isn't then I won't.

Are you trying to say that I'm a pirate?

Tell me, are FINES, SKSE and other backend development apps getting a cut of these funds? Cause without those, not a single mod would work. So tell me, lickers of GabeNs nether region, does that sound fair?

Fore (The creator of FNIS) has stated that he thinks that making money from mods is against everything he stands for regarding them: https://archive.is/C9aMC

The modder also responded to Fore and said that Valve told him it was okay to use programs such as FNIS along with his paid mod as long as it was separate from the main mod download.

Furthermore, SKSE is based on the MIT license which means that modders, Valve and Bethesda could be in deep shit as it violates the open-software agreement of that license.

EDIT: Looks like the MIT license allows commercially-paid applications to use software based off it's license so long as the original MIT license is included, people jumped the gun too soon on that one.

I make no sense? Says the man who intentionally makes backward posts?

High quality mods, scripts, ENBs and straight up expansions existed before this. Did creators bitch about payment? No.

Valve is taking their work, pay walling it and you're all accepting it.

You're gonna start charging money, give it to everyone involved in appropriation of the work they did. If anyone else had done this, you'd be up in arms with anger.

The implementation is horrible yes but the idea is good, they may have not bitched but they had the donation system and it's their content that they made and if they wanted you to pay to get their content it's their choice.

Can you link me to articles about FINES, SKES as I found nothing about them.

Dafuq does backward posts mean ??

Are you trying to say that I'm a pirate?

No, I just told you how pirates use that argument too and if you think it's invalid for pirates then it's the same for you.

Again the idea is good but implementation is horrible maybe someone else can make a better implementation.

Fore (The creator of FNIS) has stated that he thinks that making money from mods is against everything he stands for regarding mods: https://archive.is/C9aMC

The modder also responded to Fore and said that Valve told him it was okay to use programs such as FNIS along with his paid mod as long as it was separate from the main mod download.

Furthermore, SKSE is based on the MIT license which means that modders, Valve and Bethesda could be in deep shit as it violates the open-software agreement of that license.

Now that another reason this is a horrible implantation, FNIS should get a cut too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They are fine, but I've it's your fulltime job to make mods the quality will be on base game level standard.

For example arms 3, you can get multiple mods for weapon X, and everyone will have a different look that doesn't match the base game. Well, its free, so its just the way it is. But I've its paid, they have to make sure everything is up to quality to sell.

And this will atract a whole new professional croud that didn't care or have the time to do so.

Have you ever played the Skyrim mods? Calling them base game standard honestly is quite ridiculous.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

EDIT: Looks like the MIT license allows commercially-paid applications to use software based off it's license so long as the original MIT license is included, people jumped the gun too soon on that one.

I was about to point out that lapse there.  Anyways it's a cluster frack.  I can think of very few mods that I've got that are NOT interdependent on several other mods.

There are definitely mod developers out there that do deserve payment for their hard work, but there are even more that do not. With something like this we will have the same issue that is present on the mobile gaming market, which is tons and tons of half-ass'd releases. We will also likely see games that do not have workshop support and thus, no guaranteed income, have smaller and smaller modding communities. Why continue developing a mod you've put hundreds of hours of work into when you can just go and make an easy Skyrim mod and actually make money? In my opinion, the workshop should always have an option to donate; not a requirement. Having donations go through steam wallet makes it extremely easy to do and a lot of people will show their support for the mods that they love the most. Most of those that STILL play Skyrim several years after release are installing upwards of 100 mods and I guarantee most of them will quit if they have to pay even just $1 for every mod.

You really need to watch Totalbisquit video. Go back and play it, we'll wait for you, please do so.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The nexus has a donation system from what I understand and I know plenty of modders that ask people for donations but they still let people play their mods for free. I guess the benefit of paying modders for their work is that you get more talented people modding rather than getting picked off by major companies.

In my opinion, the workshop should always have an option to donate; not a requirement.

It's perhaps not very clear and henceforth could be under utilized but that's actually an option already: read back on my posts on this thread there's already mods that have the "free" version and just added a "Gold" version with a "pay what you want" option the content creator could include, hence you could pay as little as nothing or as much as you want to support.

Now if some modders decide to make it a requirement with a bare minimum then theoretically supply and demand should take care of them and greatly decreased his relevance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

some poor sap has already started to do pay for early access to mod. :lol:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Creators get 25% of the revenue, Valve gets 75%. The creator is only paid once they reach $100.

Valve has officially sold out. What a fucking disgrace of a company.

Valve has officially sold out. What a fucking disgrace of a company.

Actually as TB mentioned, this model was already in place for Team Fortress 2, Dota and CS:GO so they have already sold out, now they're pimping a Bethesda game but the selling out that's not new. But point taken nevertheless.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually as TB mentioned, this model was already in place for Team Fortress 2, Dota and CS:GO so they have already sold out, now they're pimping a Bethesda game but the selling out that's not new. But point taken nevertheless.

I didn't really care about their shitty games though. They can fill them with microtransactions all they want, I just won't play them. But now they are infecting a community that has thrived upon people creating and sharing modded content for already existing games.

Although yeah, Valve did sell out a long time ago. This really just cements it though.

I was about to point out that lapse there. Anyways it's a cluster frack. I can think of very few mods that I've got that are NOT interdependent on several other mods.

Cluster fuck is putting it very, very lightly.

This is a terrible precedent. They can't charge for DLC but why not try charging for mods to earn some extra coin. Greenlight and early access were money grabby enough. This is next level greed.

If EA announced this, the forum would break itself with rage.

We still have things like Nexus mods.

At least for the moment.

Now that they've said they'll pay for mods, and now that people are buying them, places like Nexus might actually lose talented submitters who are lured by "easy money".

Fairly sad precedent has been set

@Victorious Secret I've actually been upset by this and with valve for a couple of weeks now. I knew this was coming, and this 75/25 split was also stated (I hoped that it was going to be wrong).

So, I don't know man. Thats fucken DRMs for ya I guess.

It undermines what mods should be, it undermines the community, it's just another grubby cash grab. Now your mods are STEAM LOCKED. What the fuck. DRM on mods.

And people accept it. Jesus.

It undermines what mods should be, it undermines the community, it's just another grubby cash grab. Now your mods are STEAM LOCKED. What the fuck. DRM on mods.

And people accept it. Jesus.

Though I tend to agree, specifically in that I think that this sort of arrangement slaughters the cohesiveness and group efforts that modders and community cultivated and have been enjoying. 

But that "I think" part is just that.  Take a breath, have a smoke (or a smoothy) and lets see what happens.  Personally I'll be at nexus and loverslab for as long as they'll have me, and participating there.  You will not find me as a consumer or participant in the steamworkshop unless a lot of changes happen.