Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

Just a reminder that SOE gives their modders a 50% cut for content (even cosmetic pieces). 25% is insulting.

What's to stop Nexus from implementing the same system now? Nothing.

The other issue? When mods are free, people know they can't expect perfection. They have no assurance at compatibility. Now? People will be pissed when mod combos start breaking the game.

Did either side license the BOSS or Loot utilities that order mods in the correct order? Are they gonna license the mod managers that have those features built in? Did they even ask for permission? They certainly don't own those programs.

Bethesda and Valve don't get to double dip. Owners already bought the game once. The idea they are owed money in perpetuity for mods is greedy as fuck.

I can't believe the amount of denial there is that people can't accept that Valve happily went along with this. What the fuck does Valve do to necessitate a bigger cut than the content creators? I guess they need to get their 30% hardon no matter how it happens.

What's next? A Early Access for mods? Mod pre orders? DLC for mods? Knowing the greed of Valve, why not?

Yes. GabeN is not your friend. He couldn't give a tinier shit about you. Just your wallet is what matters. Their near monopoly has allowed this. Enjoy it.

Can't wait for W10 and the one true gaming backend to show up and stomp Steam into the ground and show the unwashed masses just how disillusioned they were.

Nevermind, the Nexus are just as bad as Valve.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Just a reminder that SOE gives their modders a 50% cut for content (even cosmetic pieces). 25% is insulting.

What's to stop Nexus from implementing the same system now? Nothing.

The other issue? When mods are free, people know they can't expect perfection. They have no assurance at compatibility. Now? People will be pissed when mod combos start breaking the game.

Did either side license the BOSS or Loot utilities that order mods in the correct order? Are they gonna license the mod managers that have those features built in? Did they even ask for permission? They certainly don't own those programs.

Bethesda and Valve don't get to double dip. Owners already bought the game once. The idea they are owed money in perpetuity for mods is greedy as fuck.

I can't believe the amount of denial there is that people can't accept that Valve happily went along with this. What the fuck does Valve do to necessitate a bigger cut than the content creators? I guess they need to get their 30% hardon no matter how it happens.

What's next? A Early Access for mods? Mod pre orders? DLC for mods? Knowing the greed of Valve, why not?

Yes. GabeN is not your friend. He couldn't give a tinier shit about you. Just your wallet is what matters. Their near monopoly has allowed this. Enjoy it.

Can't wait for W10 and the one true gaming backend to show up and stomp Steam into the ground and show the unwashed masses just how disillusioned they were.

In another thread, a mod creator asked Valve about assets used in his mod that are from other mods.

Valve told him if those mods are free they are fair game. That means I can go around downloading popular mods from the Nexus and charging for them, using that as an excuse. Time to start copyrighting all my mod ideas.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Adult mods are not allowed on the Workshop as far as I know.

I've always used Nexus, myself, and would continue to anyway. I do worry about the effect this could have on other modding communities, though. Why post your work on Nexus for free if you can charge for it on Steam Workshop?

Again, unless it's an adult mod.

There are non-nude versions of CBBE, UNP, 7B, etc. and they're actually needed for many armor mods.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I dont either, never have, never will

Buddy I used to think so too, and damn was I wrong.  Outside of mods that straight up fix broken parts of these games by patching, optimizing and adding frameworks; some are just incredible for content.  "Interesting NPCs" alone is/was an insane project that I still can't believe was done.  With a system like yours, and if you play or have played skyrim, I'd have to say you're doing yourself a disservice by not grabbing modOrganizer, SKSE, FNIS, SkyUi, WryeBash, ApachiiHair, shezriesOldHroldn, SeaPointSettlement, SMIM, sexlabs (and many many more) and jumping into the fray.  And thats not even touching on graphical mods..

Hell, the only reason I started modding skyrim was because my vanilla game was broken and the only support out there was from modders.  So I swallowed the red pill and now will never care for those that only offer blue pills again.  The people at the other end of that rabbit hole are too awesome to go without.

But but... Mods are awesome and sometimes the mod makes you feel like you're playing another game.

I will just play another game, I have like 500 games on steam that I could be sat playing instead of tinkering with a game

I just .. never understood the appeal of mods - I understand something like "increased FOV" mod but beyond that I am not interested

(I still think being able to charge for mods is a good idea, just valves implementation blows)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the moment you put a paywall in front of a mod it's either a dlc or a full game.

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

For me, the biggest issue in paying for mods vs DLC is that mods are not guaranteed to work. Even if I have all of the dependencies and I supposedly don't have anything installed that conflicts with it, they still don't work sometimes. I'm not paying $5 for something that may or may not work.

The only way I could see this working is if they had some kind of trial period where you could get a full refund if it doesn't work. Even then, I'm still vehemently opposed to the idea.

I like how the Cities: Skylines devs have actually threatened people who try and charge for mods with legal action. As it should be.

Looks like Valve or Bethesda is back-pedalling the paid items:

iBczNlW.png

Furthermore, clicking on nearly all of the paid mods results in this error:

VQwkMi3.png

Looks like Valve or Bethesda is back-pedalling the paid items:

Furthermore, clicking on nearly all of the paid mods results in this error:

Even if the do, the world will know what greedy manipulators they truly are. 

Of course, I certainly will not let this go if Valve and/or Bethesda try to sweep the issue under the rug.

Of course, I certainly will not let this go if Valve and/or Bethesda try to sweep the issue under the rug.

I already, quite successfully I might add, have avoided Steam related purchases for a long time now. Origin has gotten more of my business, since they are actually a good service with great service. 

Honestly, I'm not surprised Bethesda is greedy. They have a history of releasing overpriced DLC (like horse armor for Oblivion, which for the low low price of $2.50 lets your horses wear armor, and Hearthfire for Skyrim, which for the low low price of $15 lets you build three new player homes!), dumbed down Skyrim and removed most of the RPG elements to appeal to a wider audience (ergo, make more money) and approved of The Elder Scrolls Online, which ended up being a blatant cashgrab in the form of a bland MMO. Most of their games are terribly broken on release, too, and while everyone lets it slide because "LOL Bugthesda!", it's all fun and games until you encounter that one game-breaking glitch and have to use the console to get out of it (or are stuck forever on the consoles.) I don't think I'll be supporting them for a while.

I decided to check out the Skyrim mod page and there doesn't seem to be many. I did notice that there was a "pay what you want" option now though it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's a work in progress thing.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with this is. It's somebody's own work so they can choose to charge for it or not. If it's stolen, it will get taken down. If it's low quality, no one will buy it and they make no money. If it's successful, the content creator gets money and they make more mods.

I'm hoping that more games start doing this so modding as a whole can grow and people can make a living off of it rather than just keeping it as a hobby.

I decided to check out the Skyrim mod page and there doesn't seem to be many. I did notice that there was a "pay what you want" option now though it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's a work in progress thing.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with this is. It's somebody's own work so they can choose to charge for it or not. If it's stolen, it will get taken down. If it's low quality, no one will buy it and they make no money. If it's successful, the content creator gets money and they make more mods.

I'm hoping that more games start doing this so modding as a whole can grow and people can make a living off of it rather than just keeping it as a hobby.

While I disagree with putting mods behind paywalls, I don't think the future of paid mods lies with valve, or any game company or publisher such as bethesda. I honestly can't see it becoming anything other than the new app store, a few diamonds buried under tons of shit.

If mods want to be paid and donations are not enough, it'll be better to have a subscription based where you pay a certain fee and have access to all the mods and split that among the modders, whoever has more download gets more money, etc.  Think about this, how many mods do people have on Skyrim, 10's and 100's.  From the looks of it skins are around $1 and anything that is actually worth anything is around $5+, so if you do the math you are spending 3 times more than what you paid for the game.

Although a subscription may not be the best idea it sure beats paying for each mod individually. 

While I disagree with putting mods behind paywalls, I don't think the future of paid mods lies with valve, or any game company or publisher such as bethesda. I honestly can't see it becoming anything other than the new app store, a few diamonds buried under tons of shit.

I honestly wish that there would be a site like Twitch where you could mod and then ask for donations/subcriptions for money. People make a living off of streaming on Twitch and it would be nice if people could make a living off of modding as well. Having it only on Steam limits everything to that platform and reduces your revenue by 75% which sucks considering modders don't have much of a choice as there really isn't any other storefront that they can use. I decided to look at the amount of money people are making off of the mods on Steam and it goes from around 200-500 after Valve/Bethesda's cut. If they could make four times that, they could actually support themselves and do this full time.

If mods want to be paid and donations are not enough, it'll be better to have a subscription based where you pay a certain fee and have access to all the mods and split that among the modders, whoever has more download gets more money, etc.  Think about this, how many mods do people have on Skyrim, 10's and 100's.  From the looks of it skins are around $1 and anything that is actually worth anything is around $5+, so if you do the math you are spending 3 times more than what you paid for the game.

Although a subscription may not be the best idea it sure beats paying for each mod individually. 

Then imagine including fallout 4, or if they retroactively added support fallout 3,nv, and oblivion. Just through bethesda games alone you could theoretically easily rack up over $1000 worth of mods. I'm willing to bet that thought is one thats turning people away from shedding any kind of positive thoughts on this. People are probably thinking something like "it'll end up way too expensive to fully support buying mods, so screw that I'll settle for free alternatives".

Another thing is that chances are so little people will actually be buying mods that it'll end up not even worth selling mods, especially with the small cut modders receive. Both for modders not making any noteworthy amount of money, and from mod users thinking that the modder will get such an unusable amount of money that if they really want to give money to the modder they'd just donate directly.

I honestly wish that there would be a site like Twitch where you could mod and then ask for donations/subcriptions for money. People make a living off of streaming on Twitch and it would be nice if people could make a living off of modding as well. Having it only on Steam limits everything to that platform and reduces your revenue by 75% which sucks considering modders don't have much of a choice as there really isn't any other storefront that they can use. I decided to look at the amount of money people are making off of the mods on Steam and it goes from around 200-500 after Valve/Bethesda's cut. If they could make four times that, they could actually support themselves and do this full time.

In a way there is/has been. Nexusmods has supported donations for years. And in light of the situation are being more relaxed with the rules on it. More specifically its now possible to add a donation box to appear when a user clicks the download button for that mod. Completely optional and off by default.

Didn't know Nexus had a donation button. Hope that site becomes more popular. Also hope that they redesign their site so it's wider.

I already, quite successfully I might add, have avoided Steam related purchases for a long time now. Origin has gotten more of my business, since they are actually a good service with great service. 

Yes but doesn't origin only sell EA games?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have lost all the little respect i had left for valve after what they are doing now.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The problem is that very few mods are made from scratch, and most pull from work created by others that where made available for use to others in order to make more free mods.  Now Valve & bethesda are trying to capitalize on everyone's collected effort at bargain basement prices for a level of quality work and passion that they couldn't muster themselves.  And they're pedaling some BS that if others made it available for free then it's okay to use for profit, and that just is not the case. 

Take Arissa for example.  (The version on the nexus, no idea about the one that was on steam.)

Here are the thanks provided on the mod page.

* It's been a great privilege to work with someone as talented as Nikkita. Thank you for breathing life into Arissa; without your hard work, she would have never been possible.

* Thanks to Gareth for the excellent music track that opens her first quest.

* Thanks to Lorelai's 3D modeling and texturing support.

* Thanks to TheRoadStroker for use of his excellent-looking Rogue Sorceress Outfit (old default outfit) and ZZJay for the Huntress Outfit from ZZJay's Wardrobe (new default outfit).

* Thanks to Apachii for use of Arissa's hairstyle.

* Thanks to Mitchalek, for Convenient Horses compatibility.

* Thanks to Alt3rn1ty for the additional texture options.

* Thanks to Vulon, for additional voice contributions.

* Thanks to ff7legend, for helping other users with tech support issues.

And its this kind of building upon each other collaboratively is why modders are able to offer such great user experiences.  and why your thought that people simply paying for "A" mod they enjoy doesn't make sense.  There are tons of people that then don't get their cut cause everything in mods are something old, something borrowed and probably something blue too.  That is the very definition of modding.  To modify.  To alter.  To change.  Not original work created from scratch a la wild wild west.  That's open source and creative commons.  Not commercial.

I'm not really a fan of the donation option either, directly anyways.  I "think" that a pooled donation that gets split between the relevant monthly files/authors/teams could be a better way to go.  but then it would only work with a cutoffs that rob the top files of their highs and cushion the one on their way out from shock, to maybe offer some form of monetary stability.  Would obviously need definite cutoffs for where one doesn't get a taste at all of course.

What tolerances, limits and mins such a "union" could manage would be a whole other topic that only the parties involved should discuss.

Didn't know Nexus had a donation button. Hope that site becomes more popular. Also hope that they redesign their site so it's wider.

It was an all or nothing deal, so it might have been a turnoff for some people who didn't want the donation button available on all of their mods. Its one of the green buttons on the mods banner and on the top right of their profile, so its not hard to imagine people completely missing it. Those green buttons are probably rarely used since most people probably go to the files tab of the mod to download, and a lot probably endorse through the nexus mod manager instead, and when someone is viewing a profile its probably to find more mods so they'll be preoccupied with the mod list.

Take Arissa for example.  (The version on the nexus, no idea about the one that was on steam.)

Here are the thanks provided on the mod page.

I don't have access to the workshop version so I can't confirm this is true but it seems the workshop got Arissa v2.0 being completely redone. Nobody seems to be crying foul on that so it seems it was with permission.

Authors post on reddit.

Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

I don't have access to the workshop version so I can't confirm this is true but it seems the workshop got Arissa v2.0 being completely redone. Nobody seems to be crying foul on that so it seems it was with permission.

Authors post on reddit.

The point I was making is that there was work originally used which was made by others that specialize more in those areas (AKA better) for superior end results.  community, together, sharing, easier, fun etc..

Though I did get a bit sidetracked typing out the previous post, and wasn't as concise as I should have been.  happens often.  usually when a squirrel or cat ru...