Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

The numbers you're using here are too large, use scientific notations instead!

But no seriously... If file count were no limitation how many text files, MP3 files or files could I fit. That should keep you buzy for a little while.

That's awfully vague... I'll calculate it for mp3s since that's at least somewhat standard.

Let's say they're 2 MiB/minute.  1.5 is also a common number, but we're trying to fill it up, right?  Go big or go home! :D 

8 EiB (since that's what it really was (or would be if it was real) despite what Windows says) = 9.22 x 1018 bytes

Average song = 3.5 minutes (lets say)

3.5 minutes * 2 = 7 MiB / song

9.22 x 1018 bytes / 7340032 bytes = 1.26 x 1012 songs (1.26 trillion xD)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's awfully vague... I'll calculate it for mp3s since that's at least somewhat standard.

Let's say they're 2 MiB/minute.  1.5 is also a common number, but we're trying to fill it up, right?  Go big or go home! :D 

8 EiB (since that's what it really was (or would be if it was real) despite what Windows says) = 9.22 x 1018 bytes

Average song = 3.5 minutes (lets say)

3.5 minutes * 2 = 7 MiB / song

9.22 x 1018 bytes / 7340032 bytes = 1.26 x 1012 songs (1.26 trillion xD)

Text file called "New text document" saying "Clonzoo is cool" is 15 bytes, but it has a disk usage of 4KB... Have fun!

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

3 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

Text file called "New text document" saying "Clonzoo is cool" is 15 bytes, but it has a disk usage of 4KB... Have fun!

That's due to how NTFS stores files.  You can customize the cluster size if you want during partition creation.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's due to how NTFS stores files.  You can customize the cluster size if you want during partition creation.

The more you know, but take 15 bytes for the fuck of it. Again, have fun... :P

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

The more you know, but take 15 bytes for the fuck of it. Again, have fun... :P

that's just pointless.  And you can do that in 2 seconds:

8(10246)/15 = ~615 quadrillion files

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that's just pointless.  And you can do that in 2 seconds:

8(10246)/15 = ~615 quadrillion files

Is there something smaller than byte's? Like mini bytes or micro bytes... I feel like with all of these numbers its turning into a game with Adventure Capitalist! WE NEED BIGGER NUMBERS. So lets say 1 byte is 1024 mini bytes and 1 mini byte is 1024 micro bites and 1 micro bytes is 1024 nano bytes. Now, what about 3.2 micro bytes? Can your calculator even handle this shit?

On a more serious note though, and I do hate to moderate the mod. But perhaps we should move this to off topic if you wish to continue, eventhough this sounds like something a non-techie who think he know alot would say.

Is there something smaller than byte's? Like mini bytes or micro bytes... I feel like with all of these numbers its turning into a game with Adventure Capitalist! WE NEED BIGGER NUMBERS. So lets say 1 byte is 1024 mini bytes and 1 mini byte is 1024 micro bites and 1 micro bytes is 1024 nano bytes. Now, what about 3.2 micro bytes? Can your calculator even handle this shit?

On a more serious note though, and I do hate to moderate the mod. But perhaps we should move this to off topic if you wish to continue, eventhough this sounds like something a non-techie who think he know alot would say.

Don't worry, this is very relevant (non-techie) ;) Yes, there are things smaller than bytes.  Each byte is made up of 8 bits. Each bit can be 1 or 0.  There is nothing smaller than that that would make any logical sense.  If you're just trying to get a huge number, go look up Graham's number :D

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Don't worry, this is very relevant (non-techie) ;) Yes, there are things smaller than bytes.  Each byte is made up of 8 bits. Each bit can be 1 or 0.  There is nothing smaller than that that would make any logical sense.  If you're just trying to get a huge number, go look up Graham's number :D

Hold up now, are you calling me a non-techie?

5 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

I believe he did.........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

Asking if there is something smaller than bytes and suggesting "micro bytes" is pretty non-techie ;) 

But don't worry, we all have blind spots.  Just ask @wkdpaul; he's made fun of himself more than enough times xD 

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I believe he did.........

>:(

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Asking if there is something smaller than bytes and suggesting "micro bytes" is pretty non-techie ;) 

But don't worry, we all have blind spots.  Just ask @wkdpaul; he's made fun of himself more than enough times xD 

To be fair, I wasn't really asking I said imagine not knowing bit is infact a value used for data, I kinda knew it, I have however never thought of it in conjunction with storage. Having all of that said, I'm far from the most experienced user, I guess thats partly why I'm here, there are only a few things that sticks in my head, like tech, on the other hand I suck at math though, so 15 bytes would have taken me alot longer than 2 sec... :|

4 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

>:(

To be fair, I wasn't really asking I said imagine not knowing bit is infact a value used for data, I kinda knew it, I have however never thought of it in conjunction with storage. Having all of that said, I'm far from the most experienced user, I guess thats partly why I'm here, there are only a few things that sticks in my head, like tech, on the other hand I suck at math though, so 15 bytes would have taken me alot longer than 2 sec... :|

Sorry if it sounded like I was making fun of you or insulting you or anything; that was certainly not the intention.  We're all here to learn and to help, and that means pointing out things that can be ... expanded on :P 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sorry if it sounded like I was making fun of you or insulting you or anything; that was certainly not the intention.  We're all here to learn and to help, and that means pointing out things that can be ... expanded on :P 

No need to apologize, its not like I am crying at work while my co-workers are trying to comfort me and my lack of knowledge, I.. I swear...

13554213.jpg

3 hours ago, RahulR said:

My dad is kind of a weird one, he studied Computer Engineering in University, and coded a few small programs there but still struggles to use a computer today. A few days ago he asked me how to save a file in Microsoft Word. Granted, he's new to Office 2013, but you should still know how to save a text file xD 

Thats what happens when you get old... :D 

Kinda like with my dad but not as bad. But he worked alot with computers in the past, even before MS-DOS was a thing and according to wiki MS-DOS initial release was 1980 sooo yeah.  But now he has fallen completely off the tech train. Like Linus fashion knowledge and my dads computer knowledge are rivaling, I will however give my dad the victory even how minor it is.

So about a year ago, my mom came into my room with a flower pot filled with water and decided to place it on top of my PC.

In my mind I said "What the absoloute hell are you doing?"

Out loud I said "whataryoudoing?"

Her first argument was that it wold brighten up the room a bit

My counterargument was "Yeah, but WATER!"

She then sad "It'll be good for you"

I say "How???"

She said "It'll help absorb the 'photomagnawaves'"

PHOTO

MAGNAWAVES

Screenshot_3.png

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I can't laugh at my own mistakes then I can't really laugh at other's now can I ? xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

Is there something smaller than byte's? <snip>

Did you just nominate yourself to be featured on this thread?

bytes > nibbles > bits (each letter displayed in hexadecimal notation represents a nibble)

5 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

So about a year ago, my mom came into my room with a flower pot filled with water and decided to place it on top of my PC.

I say "How???"

PHOTO

MAGNAWAVES

Screenshot_3.png

I hope you told her to get that accident waiting to happen away from your rig.  Even thinking about that on top of a computer is scary.  ?

11 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I say "How???"

PHOTO

MAGNAWAVES

... This is too much xD

15 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I say "How???"

PHOTO

MAGNAWAVES

Screenshot_3.png

Did you get her to understand why that was a horrible idea and why she was absolutely wrong?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

16 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I say "How???"

There is the photomagnetic effect, and photomagnetism if your she has any understanding of quantum mechanics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomagnetic_effect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomagnetism

But even still, it has no relevance to a bowl of water.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Today. on helpdesk.

new job rolls in:

Subject: Not Entered
Description: Can someone please help me with my screen it is massive

Its Friday afternoon.

My response

helps.png

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Did you get her to understand why that was a horrible idea and why she was absolutely wrong?

After she said "photomagnawaves" my brain was like "Look away, just don't make eye contact"

19 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

If I can't laugh at my own mistakes then I can't really laugh at other's now can I ? xD

If you quote your own mistake so I don't have to go and find it, then I will figure out if it was worse than mine then I'll tell you if you can laugh of not.

19 hours ago, Norseman4 said:

Did you just nominate yourself to be featured on this thread?

bytes > nibbles > bits (each letter displayed in hexadecimal notation represents a nibble)

Go away... -_-

My friend bought 980ti 2 months ago just before the price drop because why the fuck not, I told him millions of times not to but who cares right? So I won't say anything to him anymore until last week he ask me why his dota 2 (which is the only game he plays, WITH A BLOODY 980ti???) Only runs at 40fps... He doesn't have nvidia driver installed.. I'll never understand rich people.