Experiences with non-techies

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

BTW, this whole conversation about Norton being useless comes from this article from CBC;

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

That article sounds like it was written by an idiot who thinks they don't need to keep their PC protected.

Antivirus doesn't give users an excuse to be careless but it's still an important tool for keeping your PC free of malware.

If Norton is so bad what options would you suggest that have the same features including a two way firewall that's user configurable and other active antivirus/antispyware/antimalware protection?

Like I told the other guy I'm willing to consider other options but I'd want something with the same features as Norton.  

Regardless of any flaws Norton does seem to have some nice active protection features that help keep users safe without having to wait until you are aired day infected to run a scan and hope no permanent damage has been done such as personal information being stolen.  It's not perfect but it has auto blocked some intrusion attempts into my computers over the years so unless I find something better I have no problem continuing to us it.

How does computer?

w6UbiBt.jpg?1

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How does computer?

w6UbiBt.jpg?1

image.jpeg

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

This article was published July 8th 2016 at 5am ... Norton is crap, and I talk from first hand experience, both with corporate and consumer grade solutions.

I don't doubt you at all. I got my first computer in 2001 and they had Norton on it and it took forever to get rid of it. Never used it since and have played hell uninstalling it on the 7 or 8 computers I have acquired or had to fix.

14 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm pretty sure I've heard Macafee or however you spell it is crap.  Is AVAST proven to be one the most effective AV programs?

(I'm not saying Norton is the best or that AVAST is bad just asking about it.)

I'd consider switching to something else besides Norton if I found an option that wasn't super expensive and one of the top rated in terms of effectiveness and variety of threats it defends against.

WebRoot

Interface is kinda clunky, but otherwise it's awesome.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How does computer?

w6UbiBt.jpg?1

How do you find these? I recall you showed us one with someone holding a soldering iron by the metal part a little while back.... Do you bravely scour the Internet for hidden treasures of stupid computer related images to show us? Teach me pirate!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

I have a never ending need for screen space. My current setup has three 22 Inch displays. My setup is located in a section of my house were everybody can see it. Anytime we have a part of any kind, I get asked this question at least twice per hour:

"Why do you have three computers?"

Computers r fun

Just found this goodie:

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-technician-working-broken-cpu-soldering-iron-his-office-image43639265

It says the technician is working on a broken CPU but his soldering iron is clearly on the mobo....

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I have a never ending need for screen space. My current setup has three 22 Inch displays. My setup is located in a section of my house were everybody can see it. Anytime we have a part of any kind, I get asked this question at least twice per hour:

"Why do you have three computers?"

And I'm just sitting here with a single 19" 1440x900...

Holy crap now that I look there's so many funny computer stock images out there:

image.jpeg

hmmmm...... The retention arm on my CPU socket isn't working too well.... Maybe I should resolder it?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

How do you find these? I recall you showed us one with someone holding a soldering iron by the metal part a little while back.... Do you bravely scour the Internet for hidden treasures of stupid computer related images to show us? Teach me pirate!

This one was posted here on the forum:

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/165091-manikyath/?status=139866&type=status

And I don't think I was the one who found that bad soldiering picture...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This one was posted here on the forum:

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/165091-manikyath/?status=139866&type=status

And I don't think I was the one who found that bad soldiering picture...

Oh ok. Not sure who posted that soldering picture then :D 

Anyhow, I just found this collection: http://m.imgur.com/a/dRlR3.....

SERIOUSLY WHY IN THR WORLD ARE YOU USING A FRICKIN SOLDERING  IRON ON A CPU SOCKET JUST NO.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

One of my friends wanted to play minecraft on my pc and he tried to turn on the computer by pressing the power button on the monitor and he told me it wasn't working oh yeah and we connect the pc to a power bar and he forget to turn that on too

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Oh ok. Not sure who posted that soldering picture then :D 

Anyhow, I just found this collection: http://m.imgur.com/a/dRlR3.....

SERIOUSLY WHY IN THR WORLD ARE YOU USING A FRICKIN SOLDERING  IRON ON A CPU SOCKET JUST NO.

Yeah that's stock photography for you.  They make up a bunch of generic "tech-looking" pictures that would seem fancy to managers in a powerpoint xD 

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Holy crap now that I look there's so many funny computer stock images out there:

hmmmm...... The retention arm on my CPU socket isn't working too well.... Maybe I should resolder it?

Did you also notice the soldering "smell" is going up right into his nose? xD 

3 minutes ago, Sharkersuper123 said:

One of my friends wanted to play minecraft on my pc and he tried to turn on the computer by pressing the power button on the monitor and he told me it wasn't working oh yeah and we connect the pc to a power bar and he forget to turn that on too

well why was the power bar turned off? :P

3 hours ago, maulemall said:

I don't doubt you at all. I got my first computer in 2001 and they had Norton on it and it took forever to get rid of it. Never used it since and have played hell uninstalling it on the 7 or 8 computers I have acquired or had to fix.

You're supposed to use Norton's removal tool for whichever software of theirs that you use.  If you didn't use then no offense but it technically would've been your fault you ran into trouble.  I've always used the correct removal tool and never had any trouble removing Norton before installing the new version each year.  Been doing that since 2006.

A while back I remember someone I knew said their parents weren't going to upgrade to Windows 10. Instead, they'd wait for the next windows.

I explained the fact that windows 10 is the last windows Microsoft will make.

Specs:

18 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

A while back I remember someone I knew said their parents weren't going to upgrade to Windows 10. Instead, they'd wait for the next windows.

I explained the fact that windows 10 is the last windows Microsoft will make.

Wait, it is? Any reason why?

7 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Wait it is? Any reason why?

Windows is now considered a service rather than a product by Microsoft.

Specs:

4 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Windows is now considered a service rather than a product by Microsoft.

What does that mean in terms of future versions?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What does that mean in terms of future versions?

2 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

Wait, it is? Any reason why?

Don't think of it as "Windows 10", think of it as just "Windows".  It will continually receive incremental updates, but according to MS there won't be any major revisions like they used to do.  This is the last one. People who are holding out on 10 are just relegating themselves to obsolescence.

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You're supposed to use Norton's removal tool for whichever software of theirs that you use.  If you didn't use then no offense but it technically would've been your fault you ran into trouble.  I've always used the correct removal tool and never had any trouble removing Norton before installing the new version each year.  Been doing that since 2006.

I think you didn't read his post correctly;

7 hours ago, maulemall said:

*snip* computers I have acquired or had to fix.

When you buy used or pre-builds, you don't have the choice of what's already installed. Same with PCs you're tasked to fix.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That article sounds like it was written by an idiot who thinks they don't need to keep their PC protected.

Antivirus doesn't give users an excuse to be careless but it's still an important tool for keeping your PC free of malware.

That was actually my initial post about sharing this article; that it was completely ridiculous and apparently written by idiots.

Also they mention that Norton has lots of flaws that actually makes a PC less secure, that's why I mentioned that I knew this when studying IT 15 years ago.

And I totally agree, having an anti-virus software isn't an excuse to be careless!

If Norton is so bad what options would you suggest that have the same features including a two way firewall that's user configurable and other active antivirus/antispyware/antimalware protection?

Like I told the other guy I'm willing to consider other options but I'd want something with the same features as Norton.

Sorry, I don't get the 2-way firewall thing, Windows is a 2 way firewall, same about the majority of firewalls out there, seems Symantec is doing their usual marketing BS with this one.

BTW, there are no universal "one software solution" and there is no real best anti-virus, I can't tell you about what to choose because you're the one that know what features you need or not.

A good (but old) guide to help is one made by BleepingComputers (maybe there's such a guide here on LTT, I don't know);

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

Regardless of any flaws Norton does seem to have some nice active protection features that help keep users safe without having to wait until you are aired day infected to run a scan and hope no permanent damage has been done such as personal information being stolen.  It's not perfect but it has auto blocked some intrusion attempts into my computers over the years so unless I find something better I have no problem continuing to us it.

That's how good or even the "run of the mill" mediocre anti-virus works, they aren't supposed to wait for you to be infected to give you a warning.

All I can tell you is what I'm using personally;

Bitdefender (free)

Spybot (for the host file immunization, I turn off the rest)

Malwarebytes (for a monthly check)

My router's firewall (I always turn off Windows firewall)

... and I never got a virus, in decades, but then I don't torrent games and programs, I don't click weird links, and I have an agressive email filtering, all logical things if you ask me but apparently it's not the case for everyone! lol

Edited by wkdpaul
Typos

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !