Experiences with non-techies

6 minutes ago, JupiteL said:

My friend bought 980ti 2 months ago just before the price drop because why the fuck not, I told him millions of times not to but who cares right? So I won't say anything to him anymore until last week he ask me why his dota 2 (which is the only game he plays, WITH A BLOODY 980ti???) Only runs at 40fps... He doesn't have nvidia driver installed.. I'll never understand rich people.

My god

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

First thoughts while reading this article was "WTF!?!?! Damn retards journalists!!!"

Then it clicked and I thought "well, at least this is assurance that I won't be out of a job anytime soon! xD"

Have fun grinding your teeth while reading;

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

First thoughts while reading this article was "WTF!?!?! Damn retards journalists!!!"

Then it clicked and I thought "well, at least this is assurance that I won't be out of a job anytime soon! xD"

What is this stock image? xD 

WHY.png

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

The only problem that is really bad with antiviruses is too many of them, I fixed someone's laptop that was going incredibly slow and wouldn't even launch anything, I found out that they were 4 seperate antivirus programs and two "computer cleaner" programs installed.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The only problem that is really bad with antiviruses is too many of them, I fixed someone's laptop that was going incredibly slow and wouldn't even launch anything, I found out that they were 4 seperate antivirus programs and two "computer cleaner" programs installed.

the other problem is using any Symantec products, appart from "fake" anti-virus softwares, they are the worst crap you can have as far as security softwares go. They were already crap over 15 years ago when I was studying IT!!!

I just remembered a good one, prepare to have your mind BLOWN. I was in class and i was known as the tech guy (which was not hard since it was a farming school so they only cared about fucking cows and tractors, they did not even play any games except farming simulator). A girl is doing an assignment on what kind and in what amounts a field needs of different minerals depending on each plant there is grown in different kinds of fields, she is writing this in a word document. It takes a good amount of hours to make. That is when she accidentally marks a very large portion of it right clicks and presses cut. Now here comes the good part, she starts panicking, why you ask? She does not know how to get it back, let me repeat that, SHE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO PASTE STUFF SHE HAS CUT. I mean COME ON, i learned that in first grade! This happens an additional time after that! Best part was when i simply pressed "ctrl + v" she looked at me like this:

images.jpg

On 4.7.2016 at 10:09 AM, DeezNoNos said:

dafuq is wrong with canada

This is NOT a Smart Solution

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I have a friend who acts like he knows a lot about computers showed me his build he wanted to do, I looked at it and had no hard drive in the list, so I told him about it and then he asked me do I need a hard drive 

13 hours ago, radical guild said:

I have a friend who acts like he knows a lot about computers showed me his build he wanted to do, I looked at it and had no hard drive in the list, so I told him about it and then he asked me do I need a hard drive 

Plot twist: His partlist had an ssd!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

When you think you are a techie but you see some people in a thread discuss the difference between GB and GIB.

download.png

Yep. I feel you.

Why that was a thing that happened I don't know.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

The comments too. Here's a couple examples but there are quite a few more.

Screenshot_2016-07-08-18-04-44.png

Screenshot_2016-07-08-18-02-37.png

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Screenshot_2016-07-08-18-04-44.png

Even $30 is too much for a 1Tb drive you can get one for $12.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222156813982

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS !!! TOTALLY A SCAM a real one sells for about $700.

And you really have issues if you keep a backup of family photos, or other photos in a safety deposit box.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

10 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

the other problem is using any Symantec products, appart from "fake" anti-virus softwares, they are the worst crap you can have as far as security softwares go. They were already crap over 15 years ago when I was studying IT!!!

What's wrong with Norton?  I've used it for years and never had a problem. 

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It slows your machine down. Every time I used Norton or Macfee for that matter we have had the same issue. I use AVAST currently and it works good. Light weight. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It slows your machine down. Every time I used Norton or Macfee for that matter we have had the same issue. I use AVAST currently and it works good. Light weight. 

I'm pretty sure I've heard Macafee or however you spell it is crap.  Is AVAST proven to be one the most effective AV programs?

(I'm not saying Norton is the best or that AVAST is bad just asking about it.)

I'd consider switching to something else besides Norton if I found an option that wasn't super expensive and one of the top rated in terms of effectiveness and variety of threats it defends against.

20 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm pretty sure I've heard Macafee or however you spell it is crap.  Is AVAST proven to be one the most effective AV programs?

(I'm not saying Norton is the best or that AVAST is bad just asking about it.)

I'd consider switching to something else besides Norton if I found an option that wasn't super expensive and one of the top rated in terms of effectiveness and variety of threats it defends against.

AVAST has a free option. I use AVAST premier only because Ive used the free version for so long that I wanted to give back to the company for all their hard work. But AVAST free edition works very well. Its just an Anti Virus, but Windows has a built in firewall and so does your router. You also need to down load Malwarebytes free. As its a good back up if shit get real. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

AVAST has a free option. I use AVAST premier only because Ive used the free version for so long that I wanted to give back to the company for all their hard work. But AVAST free edition works very well. Its just an Anti Virus, but Windows has a built in firewall and so does your router. You also need to down load Malwarebytes free. As its a good back up if shit get real. 

True but idk hoe good the Windows firewall is.  Norton has a two way firewall that you can set program specific rules for to either block or allow traffic through the firewall.  I'd want to check if the Windows firewall offers the same features.

Though I do like that AVAST has a free option.  Norton isn't overly expensive for a year if I just buy it from Amazon each time but free is always nice vs. paying when it doesn't hurt the quality of what you get.

Edit: What is Malwarebytes?

Edited by Bleedingyamato

I forgot about this, but a few months ago my friend screwed up and called me and said:

Him: "Hey I think I broke my computer..."

Me: "...What did you do this time?"

Him: "I tried to uninstall a Minecraft world."

Me: "What?"

Him: "Yeah, I started uninstalling a bunch of stuff and now my internet won't work."

Me: "...Ok... that's weird. Are you sure you're connected to internet?"

Him: "What do you mean?"

Me: "Ok. Look at the back of your computer."

Him: "Ok."

Me: "You should see a plug that looks like a phone cable." (I'm trying to describe an Ethernet cable)

Him: "I don't have one."

Me: "What? How were you connected to internet before?"

Him: "I don't know."

Me: "Ok... Do you see a cable just lying around?"

Him: "No, everything's plugged in."

After minutes of diagnosing, I decided to just go to his house and see what's going on.

Me: "Ok, so show me your computer."

Him: "Here."

Me: "Oh, you have a wireless card."

Him: "Yeah."

Me: "You could've told me that, you know."

Him: "Whatever."

Me: "So, what did you uninstall?"

Him: "Something called Ralink or whatever."

Me: "Ralink..."

After a bit of research that was the driver for his WiFi card.

Him: "So can you fix it?"

Me: "Yeah, I just need to download the thing and put it on your PC."

Him: "Ok."

So I go home and download it, put it on my USB drive, and come back and install it.

Me: "Alright, there you go, it should work now."

Him: "Thanks man, you're like Bill Gates dude."

Me: "Uh.. all I had to do was install a driver."

Him: "Install a what?"

Me: "Nevermind."

Now it's an inside joke with my friends that he screwed up his PC with Minecraft.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Norton is crap, it takes more process and RAM than needed, there are LOTS of threats it doesn't detect and it's always been full of security holes making your PC less secure... I could have given the same reasons 15 years ago!

Norton is basically worst than the free solutions.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

True but idk hoe good the Windows firewall is.  Norton has a two way firewall that you can set program specific rules for to either block or allow traffic through the firewall.  I'd want to check if the Windows firewall offers the same features.

Though I do like that AVAST has a free option.  Norton isn't overly expensive for a year if I just buy it from Amazon each time but free is always nice vs. paying when it doesn't hurt the quality of what you get.

Edit: What is Malwarebytes?

The Windows firewall isnt the best. But most people have a router, which is a hardware firewall. The router will stop most crap. Malwarebytes is an anti malware program. The free version does not run in the background. Its one of those programs that if you think you have a virus that your anti virus cant detect or clean, it generally can do it. Its sorta a partner for your anti virus. 

10 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

BTW, this whole conversation about Norton being useless comes from this article from CBC;

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

BTW, this whole conversation about Norton being useless comes from this article from CBC;

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

I think it comes from the days when you had to download a separate program to delete it completely from the computer.

Just incredibly invasive.

1 hour ago, maulemall said:

I think it comes from the days when you had to download a separate program to delete it completely from the computer.

Just incredibly invasive.

This article was published July 8th 2016 at 5am ... Norton is crap, and I talk from first hand experience, both with corporate and consumer grade solutions.