Experiences with non-techies

Back in the 9th grade 2 other buddies of mine and myself started our own school project. Our project was to dismantle a computer, make our own case, and assemble the computer inside the case we built ourselves. For the longest time a friend of mine had been saying that he knows pretty much everything about computers. Turns out he didn't know anything, but i'll get back to that.

I went to a very cheap-ass school, so there were always trouble with the infrastructure there, so as you probably guessed the computers at the school crashed all the time. Also note that all of the computers were "hooked up" for lack of a better term to ONE Server. This was a big school with around 200+ computers all hooked up to this one server. (Recipe for disaster). Since all of the computers were connected to the same server that would mean that if there was one single error on the server, then all of the 200+ computers at my school would simply not work.

These computers all went down the drain atleast twice a week making them completely and utter useless. And everytime the system went down the teachers always asked this friend of mine that thought he knew everything about computers. Let's call him Bob to make it easier to follow. Anyways, The teachers would always have Bob look at the computers, and tell them what was wrong. Ofcourse he didn't know what he was talking about, so he said the following: "Yeah, mhm, okay. Yes it seems that you have gotten a network system error inside the processor, it will be back up in an hour". Yes, that is ACTUALLY what he said, let that sink in for a moment. Oh, I totally forgot; The time he said that it was a "Network system error inside the processor". the teachers were trying to figure out why there was no sound from the speakers. Turns out the audiojack was not plugged in.

Anyways I got really off-track here. My friends and I were assembling the computer into the case that we had built ourselves. When suddenly Bob came by. My friends and I were kind of annoyed at Bob, so we asked him "which one of these components is the motherboard"? I bet anyone here on the forum would be able to point out which component in a computer was the motherboard, right? Bob pointed at the HDD, of course we all laughed, because this was proof that he knows nothing about computers, and was just spewing bullshit all the time. After we all calmed ourselves down, I said: "well surely you know this is the graphics card, right? (I pointed at the CPU). Bob said: "Yes ofcourse, how dumb do you think I am? That's when I almost broke out in tears laughing.

Since that event he stopped claiming he knew everything about computers and was an "IT-Guru". Anyways, my buddies and I delivered in our assignment, and got ourselves an A.

Cheers! ;)

Yeah I had a similar experience. A few months ago when the 900 series launched I decided to build my first rig. (I'm a noob I know) but I had done lots of research and settled on 970 and 4690k build. At the same time my friend declared he was also building. Now this guy is known for spewing bull, so I decided to lay some traps for him. Here are some.

Q: What's the frequency of your HD.

A: 9.21

Q: What model is your graphics processor?

A: Intel i7

At this point me and all my tech savvy friends burst into laughter. Surprisingly he did end up building, but in the process fried 2 Powers up plies, 1 motherboard and god knows what else.

In the end he had an itx gtx760 on an atx board with an i7 4790k and an absolute overkill ssd. He then broke his 760 later trying to overclock

- snip-

Yeah I had a similar experience. A few months ago when the 900 series launched I decided to build my first rig. (I'm a noob I know) but I had done lots of research and settled on 970 and 4690k build. At the same time my friend declared he was also building. Now this guy is known for spewing bull, so I decided to lay some traps for him. Here are some.

Q: What's the frequency of your HD.

A: 9.21

Q: What model is your graphics processor?

A: Intel i7

At this point me and all my tech savvy friends burst into laughter. Surprisingly he did end up building, but in the process fried 2 Powers up plies, 1 motherboard and god knows what else.

In the end he had an itx gtx760 on an atx board with an i7 4790k and an absolute overkill ssd. He then broke his 760 later trying to overclock

Well he's clearly happy to break stuff while trying.. Hopefully he'll learn and stop being a pleb in time.

One of my friends

Thought he was fully capable of downloading RAM :(

Downloading more RAM is for professional use only. Screw Bitcoin mining! downloadmorebitcoin.com. I wish i could download Dogecoin :'(

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Had a friend say to me "My CPU temps are hot all the time, Like I'm only idle..."

I proceeded to ask more questions etc.

He then tells me he's rebuilt his PC and I asked him if he had put the cooler on again.

His reply to this was "Yes, But there was some gunk underneath it so I cleaned it off" 

I actually laughed and felt sorry for the guy.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

Was it the special edition, with the black PCB ??

no lol i traded it to some guy for some old 80 gig hard drives and some old single core cpu's

I swear every teacher in my school tries to miss the most simple buttons like the volume up and down buttons, pause/play, and my pet peeve: FULLSCREEN.

And the also leave the mouse in the middle of a video, while its playing, it kills me on the inside. 

I'm an IB student.... please send help, I can't escape!

I swear every teacher in my school tries to miss the most simple buttons like the volume up and down buttons, pause/play, and my pet peeve: FULLSCREEN.

And the also leave the mouse in the middle of a video, while its playing, it kills me on the inside. 

What do you mean by "miss"? Like, they try to click it but then miss or...?

At my school most if not all of the teachers know how to make stuff fullscreen and if anything it's usually too loud instead of too quite. But what hurts me every time is when someone doesn't change the resolution to the highest possible. Yes I know the school wifi's not great but it can easily handle 720p youtube videos and even on a terrible projector and with the worst audio equipment they would still look and sound better.

Also youtube recently got the auto play "feature" which for whatever reason is on by default!! I think you can imagine what happens when a teacher doesn't know about it...

At my school most if not all of the teachers know how to make stuff fullscreen and if anything it's usually too loud instead of too quite. But what hurts me every time is when someone doesn't change the resolution to the highest possible. Yes I know the school wifi's not great but it can easily handle 720p youtube videos and even on a terrible projector and with the worst audio equipment they would still look and sound better.

Also youtube recently got the auto play "feature" which for whatever reason is on by default!! I think you can imagine what happens when a teacher doesn't know about it...

I had a sub in history and my teacher just had her show us some John Green Crash Course (:)). She had some trouble using YouTube to which she simply handed it off to one of my techie friends saying "I don't really understand PCs. They're just so complicated."

Youtube + Google Chrome + Windows = 3complicate5teacher

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Her:

Bill Gates.

I LITERALLY made my homicidal face the very millisecond I saw the words Bill Gates (Guess there's a first for everything huh?)

I went to Fry's today, and I saw this middle-aged female employee working with this teen (and his dad and little sister) to buy parts for a PC. I don't know what his budget was, what his specs were, or what he would use it for, but I did get a glimpse at 2 of his components. A Corsair AX860, and a SINGLE GTX 960. I told him that he should get a 500W PSU and a 970. Both the employee and the teen INSISTED that he should get the AX860. 2 of his reasons for this was for future upgrades, (Ok, this is true to some extent, but I think that's overkill even for a 3-way multi-card setup.) and that the 80+ Platinum rating would help prevent his PSU from malfunctioning. Before I could tell him that the 80+ Platinum is just for efficiency and that to lower the chance of PSU malfunctions, you have to look at brand, ratings, and reviews, the employee said, "We know what we're doing", which is basically the nicer equivalent of "SHUT UP KNOW-IT-ALL, YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK BAD" /rant

Edit: For the love of god, if he did this with his GPU and PSU, I really hope that he didn't get a underpowered CPU that could potentially bottleneck that 960, even if he was OCing. Also, 50 bucks says he DIDN'T use PCPartpicker

Edit2: Reminds me of a stupid me from one year ago who used a i7-4771 with liquid cooling and a Z87 board, with a GTX 760.... Wonder if it was the same woman who told me the K meant if it came with the stock fan...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I LITERALLY made my homicidal face the very millisecond I saw the words Bill Gates (Guess there's a first for everything huh?)

I went to Fry's today, and I saw this middle-aged female employee working with this teen (and his dad and little sister) to buy parts for a PC. I don't know what his budget was, what his specs were, or what he would use it for, but I did get a glimpse at 2 of his components. A Corsair AX860, and a SINGLE GTX 960. I told him that he should get a 500W PSU and a 970. Both the employee and the teen INSISTED that he should get the AX860. 2 of his reasons for this was for future upgrades, (Ok, this is true to some extent, but I think that's overkill even for a 3-way multi-card setup.) and that the 80+ Platinum rating would help prevent his PSU from malfunctioning. Before I could tell him that the 80+ Platinum is just for efficiency and that to lower the chance of PSU malfunctions, you have to look at brand, ratings, and reviews, the employee said, "We know what we're doing", which is basically the nicer equivalent of "SHUT UP KNOW-IT-ALL, YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK BAD" /rant

Edit: For the love of god, if he did this with his GPU and PSU, I really hope that he didn't get a underpowered CPU that could potentially bottleneck that 960, even if he was OCing. Also, 50 bucks says he DIDN'T use PCPartpicker

Edit2: Reminds me of a stupid me from one year ago who used a i7-4771 with liquid cooling and a Z87 board, with a GTX 760.... Wonder if it was the same woman who told me the K meant if it came with the stock fan...

inb4 the CPU is a Celeron/AMD A4... or worse... an Atom...

Teachers who leave the mouse on the control panel of a video...

This this.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1080P

oh yeah games change.

Here's another one. My mother knows about the snapping of the windows and she showed another person at work and the person was so surprised that she didn't know about the snapping.

She's one of those know it alls and it was funny when my mother showed her xD. (I'm proud my mom has at least some basic understanding of PC hardware and software.)

I had a sub in history and my teacher just had her show us some John Green Crash Course ( :)). She had some trouble using YouTube to which she simply handed it off to one of my techie friends saying "I don't really understand PCs. They're just so complicated."

Youtube + Google Chrome + Windows = 3complicate5teacher

This pisses me off because we've already entered the era where your quality of life is lower if you cannot do something as simple as go on an internet browser and go to websites. People in particular that excuse themselves by saying shit like "it's too complicated" piss me off even more because everyone is fucking doing it now.

That sub teacher of your's must live in a cave and have 0 interaction with other people.

This pisses me off because we've already entered the era where your quality of life is lower if you cannot do something as simple as go on an internet browser and go to websites. People in particular that excuse themselves by saying shit like "it's too complicated" piss me off even more because everyone is fucking doing it now.

That sub teacher of your's must live in a cave and have 0 interaction with other people.

"its too complicated" is the english phrase for " im a lazy bastard"

>> people dont wanna learn stuff. they just want other people to do it for them. and have it done for free.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

inb4 the CPU is a Celeron/AMD A4... or worse... an Atom...

Old atoms sucked... new atoms I guess improve and being fanless, but really they can really run windows 10 and android with little lag.

"its too complicated" is the english phrase for " im a lazy bastard"

>> people dont wanna learn stuff. they just want other people to do it for them. and have it done for free.

This is true. I don't even know how they can interact with others in this era without being able to do at least that much. Might as well be dead as far as I'm concerned. The future and all its technological greatness isn't for them and they shouldn't be graced with it either.

This is true. I don't even know how they can interact with others in this era without being able to do at least that much. Might as well be dead as far as I'm concerned. The future and all its technological greatness isn't for them and they shouldn't be graced with it either.

no dude. what pisses me off. is they say that kinda stuff. and say computers are horrible and stupid cause they dont wanna learn it. then they go out and buy an ipad/iphone and are like. ITS NOTHING LIKE A COMPUTER AT ALL.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

They make them for the dumb. If you cannot do the thing for the dumb then you need less dumb

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Its not even the OP in the thread that makes me post this is another user.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/328199-fx-8350-overclock-with-990fx-chipset

I was about to get super pissed off.. But you said not entirely. Bomb defused. Pretty upset myself that I was looking for legitimate help and I got 90% shitposts.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Had a customer at work recommend that I RAID SD cards or USB flash drives for better efficiency... Neat, interesting idea in theory, but INSANELY impractical. Never would I have thought of it, simply because 6 8GB SD cards would not be relevant by any means..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)