Experiences with non-techies

Yesterday i fused together two old PCs, one from my brother, one from my mom. When i inserted the reference design GTX 260 i saw that the 2nd PCIe slot for the card was not broken out. So the past years, the GTX 260 was blowing it's hot air against a closed PCIe slot.

who cares...

my dad actually bought anti virus for his office file server ..... it runs on linux

Yes....It's linux, not god. ....

And I'm pretty sure jesus had herpes...

Yesterday i fused together two old PCs, one from my brother, one from my mom. When i inserted the reference design GTX 260 i saw that the 2nd PCIe slot for the card was not broken out. So the past years, the GTX 260 was blowing it's hot air against a closed PCIe slot.

Who built it? An OEM or someone else?

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Who built it? An OEM or someone else?

It was a really cheap OEM PC. It came with a Nvidia 9600 GT, which was single slot. My brother got a GTX 260 on release, so errrr 7 years ago (?) and just put it in without breaking out the super-cheap PCIe slot cover. :D At the time he wasn't as tech-affine and thought it was okay.

I fused those two PCs together because they both have bluescreen problems. I'm wondering why my brother's PC was bluescreening, hehe. :D

who cares...

It was a really cheap OEM PC. It came with a Nvidia 9600 GT, which was single slot. My brother got a GTX 260 on release, so errrr 7 years ago (?) and just put it in without breaking out the super-cheap PCIe slot cover. :D At the time he wasn't as tech-affine and thought it was okay.

I fused those two PCs together because they both have bluescreen problems. I'm wondering why my brother's PC was bluescreening, hehe. :D

Ah, so your brother did it

I see

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I remebered a interesting story from high school.

So I had this kinda wierd/on the brink of crazy/hippie English teacher. One day right before the informatics class (PC class basically, don't know how it's named in your country) we we're told to go to our ordinary classroom because the teacher is sick and she is gonna be the substitute teacher. She agreed to take us to the PC classroom so we can have a chill hour, browse web whatever. So we went to the classroom and as soon as we entered she started to open every window that could be possibly opened with swiftness and determination. (big ones small ones, all of them) We all kinda stoped and look at what she's doing because you normally open one or two windows and be done with it, so we asked why is she opening all of the windows the answer was and I try to quote it correctly “To ventilate out the radiation that the computers make” And no she doesn't meant like the heat or something, she was talking about nuclear radiation (Which yeah I know that CRT monitors can produce a miniscule non harmfull amount but still) The fact that she though that it's a nuclear radiation and she can just ventilate it out of the room left me staring in awe and then laugh.

Btw yeah I tried to correct her, she did get upset and was dead set that she's right. 

actually she's sort of right, and totally wrong. CRT produce a metric shit ton of electrons. (for those uninformed beta radiation is actually positrons, same particle, just reversed polarity)

It's contained in the picture tube by a coating of ionised strontium.....And no venting the room won't do a thing.

BTW This is why the "you guys have it so easy thread exists...." When I was fishing. (commercially, about 2004ish) We had a lightning strike about 20 M off the port side, fried everything electronic on the boat. I wound up salvaging 3 GPS units(I wound up sacrificing my brand new phone as it was switched off at the time) And two pentium level computers to get One computer and one GPS unit (my phone's and the original antenna) This took me about 36 hours of constant work testing, and scrapping parts without manuals. Just to load up maps, and a GPS signal so we could get back to port (we were about 400 Miles off the coast at the time)

It puts the window in the dock.

So no difference between the red and yellow?

well somebody just posted this

sXI3bOB.png

And I was like Fake Specs. And the comments blew up and started flaming me that it was legit. Some people were saying that their PC's were also 

using a Maximus Formula and but used  the most expensive one 5960x. And they also claim that it's the what people use for server's like facebook.

And I own dominator platinums and I'm pretty sure those aren't dominators

And I was just.

Facepalm.png

the comments we're in Tagalog so there's no point in showing them

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

-snip-

i bet thats not even their system -_- looks like somethin youd find on google.

and those are NOT dominators

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

I was helping my mom one time and the bootup screen went up on her computer, I read the screen and told her to press F4. Well she did press F4, only she pressed 'F' and '4' together lol. 

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

I was helping my mom one time and the bootup screen went up on her computer, I read the screen and told her to press F4. Well she did press F4, only she pressed 'F' and '4' together lol. 

ill just uh. be over here not admitting i used to totally do that when i first used a computer.........ive come a long way.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

So this happened in high school: in our English class where we were making presentations in groups, the neighboring group was making a video with a phone (iPhone 4) for it. The one that was recording it held it vertically (ugh... Vertical videos...), and as I was observing and saw that because of all their laughing of their own jokes before actually recording, I just asked the person recording out of curiosity why was she holding the phone vertically. The other gal that was being recorded said "Shut the f*** up [insert my name here], were recording.", silence ensued, and she continued recording vertically. And the thing is, that they are only negative towards me, just like the rest of the students in our school.  Oh, and I could've let them use the Sony RX100 I was carrying at the time, they refused.

All this drama over vertical videos... lol

And another one: my grandmother didn't know how to get her wireless connection work again, she thought she had a virus, I noticed that she hadn't even connected to the wireless network to begin with. And after that fix, I said her to try it now by opening a web browser, she asked "What do I click? This fox icon (firefox)?"... Ugh... After that "fix" (not really a fix, I did practically nothing) she offered me 5€ for fixing it, and I would have felt guilty for accepting it, so I didn't. Call me an idiot, but she isn't exactly wealthy either.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

So this happened in high school: in our English class where we were making presentations in groups, the neighboring group was making a video with a phone (iPhone 4) for it. The one that was recording it held it vertically (ugh... Vertical videos...), and as I was observing and saw that because of all their laughing of their own jokes before actually recording, I just asked the person recording out of curiosity why was she holding the phone vertically. The other gal that was being recorded said "Shut the f*** up [insert my name here], were recording.", silence ensued, and she continued recording vertically. And the thing is, that they are only negative towards me, just like the rest of the students in our school. Oh, and I could've let them use the Sony RX100 I was carrying at the time, they refused.

All this drama over vertical videos... lol

And another one: my grandmother didn't know how to get her wireless connection work again, she thought she had a virus, I noticed that she hadn't even connected to the wireless network to begin with. And after that fix, I said her to try it now by opening a web browser, she asked "What do I click? This fox icon (firefox)?"... Ugh... After that "fix" (not really a fix, I did practically nothing) she offered me 5€ for fixing it, and I would have felt guilty for accepting it, so I didn't. Call me an idiot, but she isn't exactly wealthy either.

Maybe you passed as condescending when asking why they were recording vertically. Most people are non techies or photogenics or audiophiles or anything like that and honestly don't care. Perhaps the way you said it projected to them that you were trying to make them feel stupid.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Maybe you passed as condescending when asking why they were recording vertically. Most people are non techies or photogenics or audiophiles or anything like that and honestly don't care. Perhaps the way you said it projected to them that you were trying to make them feel stupid.

They are fucking stupid to record while holding the phone vertically. They'll see other people on FB or something with videos that are recorded like that and look shit so this definitely isn't a techie thing.

They are fucking stupid to record while holding the phone vertically. They'll see other people on FB or something with videos that are recorded like that and look shit so this definitely isn't a techie thing.

My point is, they don't care. Of couse they're stupid for it. But nobody likes to be condescended or told they're stupid; even if they are.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I was waiting for the movie to start, When I heard two boys in front of me arguing.

non-verbatim

B1: I'm gonna save up to buy an Nvidia card.

B2: Why would you buy an Nvidia Card? Go For a Quadro.

B1: WTF, why would you buy a Quadro?  (At this point I thought that B1 knows stuff. But booooy was I wrong)

It's an unknown company. Nvidia is obviously better and the best at what they do.

B2: What? Obviously you don't know sh*t. Quadro cards are much more expensive therefore much better for games. Even If they're an unknown Company.

and they went on and on.

And I was like.

aVZgT.gif

says the guy with 2x 980

Steam:Drift and Drift_2 <p>(name is hunter) Lets play:)

My parents complained about their computer being slow, asked if it was a virus and whatnot.  I find that it's best to just listen to what they have to say, don't argue or anything like that, then fix the issue and tell them what I found afterwards.  The last time it was malware.  Before that it was just because their computer was old (was still on Windows XP) and they only had 1GB of RAM.

-snip-

I think those are G.Skill RipjawsX Blue...

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I cry internally whenever I see someone still using Windows XP. Externally when they think it's still good enough.

I think windows vista is worse

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

yes....when you're forced to use windows vista for 3 years. you realize. XP was Superior

i still love XP................but 7 is my new XP. 8 can burn in hell

Dude, Vista was just ahead of its time and a little poorly optimised.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.