Experiences with non-techies

So this guy was like, " Isn't overclocking when you leave your PC on all day" True story.... it was hilarious

My brother told me overclocking is one of the worst things you can do to you "CPU." By CPU, he meant computer, not processor. While his claim isn't entirely false, because it CAN be risky, if you do it responsibly and cautiously, you SHOULD be fine (from what I've seen. Never actually overclocked anything other than a video card).

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I was about to get super pissed off.. But you said not entirely. Bomb defused. Pretty upset myself that I was looking for legitimate help and I got 90% shitposts.

Well to give credit it was a miss understanding on my point. 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

My brother told me overclocking is one of the worst things you can do to you "CPU." By CPU, he meant computer, not processor. While his claim isn't entirely false, because it CAN be risky, if you do it responsibly and cautiously, you SHOULD be fine (from what I've seen. Never actually overclocked anything other than a video card).

At least your brother knows what overclocking is, unlike most of the people I know. He sounds a lot like my dad who calls overclocking an "experiment" and refuses to attempt it.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

At least your brother knows what overclocking is, unlike most of the people I know. He sounds a lot like my dad who calls overclocking an "experiment" and refuses to attempt it.

I think it is very much so an experiment, when considering the silicon lottery. The only problem with his theory is that if we didn't perform experiments, we wouldn't have the bloody things we do now. We wouldn't have the stock 3.5+GHz CPUs, we wouldn't have our bloody computers to type these bloody posts.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

No, it's when you cover the desktop in clocks.

Overclocking done right

IMG_1993.JPG

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

Help! How do I disable the notifications for this topic on mobile. It is ennoying me like hell and I can't keep track of any other topics I openened so far. HEEEEEELLLLP FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Help! How do I disable the notifications for this topic on mobile. It is ennoying me like hell and I can't keep track of any other topics I openened so far. HEEEEEELLLLP FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!

unfollow the topic using the button in line with the topic title

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I tried to explain to this kid water cooling a pc, after I explained it he said, "Well won't that damage the parts".

He thought the water directly touched all the parts.

I tried to explain to this kid water cooling a pc, after I explained it he said, "Well won't that damage the parts".

He thought the water directly touched all the parts.

just dump a bucket of ice water on it. THATLL DO THE JOB xD

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

Damn, I remember when this thread was new....

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

There is this woman where I work and she doesn't know a whole lot about computers (but she's a webdesigner...). One day she calls the IT guy over from the other side of the office, claiming that her Apple mouse was broken (we all use Macs here). She said that she had tried everything to fix it, but to no avail.

The guy checks the mouse and behold, batteries were dead. 

yeah

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Hilarious literal interpretations of what people thought once.

Me: You need to cool off your parts

him *puts ice cubes in his computer, nearly fries it *

Me: You need to clean your computer

him: *Vacuum cleaner* hmm its still slow lemme try something *hoses it down*

The facepalms

Also the dumb guys in my class that think ipads and phones are better at gaming then PC's I try to explain and they ask why am I making things up.

R9 255? What is that even? :o

Something so bad that is so bad you can't even get google results. :P

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

R9 255? What is that even? :o

I looked it up and it's an OEM only rebadge of the 7750. It's barely even a  gaming grade card with an astounding 512 shader units and a 128-bit memory bus. Basically this thing is utter shit and can only run games at 1080p if you turn the settings down to medium. It's pretty much eqivalent  to the GTX 740/645 as far as I can tell. 

I looked it up and it's an OEM only rebadge of the 7750. It's barely even a gaming grade card with an astounding 512 shader units and a 128-bit memory bus. Basically this thing is utter shit and can only run games at 1080p if you turn the settings down to medium. It's pretty much eqivalent to the GTX 740/645 as far as I can tell.

My friend bought an Acer Predator G3 "Le GAMING PC" Guess what it has an i7-4790K WITH an R9 255... He says he runs FAR CRY 4 at max "smoothly"... 20 FPS Min and 25 Max.... Looks like the " Cinematic feeling" works for him :P

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Well, I saw something strange in Maplin today.

So this salesman was selling these two old folks a Logitech mechanical keyboard designed for gaming with several macro keys. While what he was saying was technically correct, I can't really say that I advocate selling old folks a mechanical keyboard like that for day to day use - Especially considering its cost.

Although, it would be just as unethical to advise the old people against the sale as the man has a job and needs to get a certain amount of sales in order to keep that job so I found myself at odd ends. Would hate to have been the old people though.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

So just recently I had to help my mother to get her printer / scanner combo to actually scan, the USB was plugged in, but didn't work, I tried replugging it, didn't work, but it felt like it was in place. A minute later I switch USB ports, it finally recognized it, and looked why the port didn't work... turns out it was a VGA port... I guess that explains some things. To my defense, it wasn't straightly visible, and there were things like kitchen table blocking the view even further.

Disclaimer: the scanner still refuses to work, OS says it doesn't have correct drivers, even though we have installed them like over a year ago... But then again, it's Windows XP...  And no, we can't afford to upgrade her laptop to a better one; she's just freeloading on my second desktop PC which has Linux.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My friend's router keeps turning off whenever his mum's laptop turns off or on anywhere in the house. We have no idea why it does that it just does.

So just recently I had to help my mother to get her printer / scanner combo to actually scan, the USB was plugged in, but didn't work, I tried replugging it, didn't work, but it felt like it was in place. A minute later I switch USB ports, it finally recognized it, and looked why the port didn't work... turns out it was a VGA port... I guess that explains some things. To my defense, it wasn't straightly visible, and there were things like kitchen table blocking the view even further.

Disclaimer: the scanner still refuses to work, OS says it doesn't have correct drivers, even though we have installed them like over a year ago... But then again, it's Windows XP...  And no, we can't afford to upgrade her laptop to a better one; she's just freeloading on my second desktop PC which has Linux.

You could... ehm... you know... help her out :D

pirateDM2505_468x456.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

You could... ehm... you know... help her out :D

pirateDM2505_468x456.jpg

I was helping her for like 15 minutes, then I gave up due to lack of time (and she didn't bother with it either. The scanning wasn't all that important and even taking a simple photo of it would've been enough for their needs).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.