Experiences with non-techies

I have more:

My homeroom was panicking when the wifi was down one morning

A kid thought unplugging the monitor would shut off the computer

And that same kid was amazed that I used a built in spell check thing in Google drive

Back when I was working at my local Canada Computers, this mom and son come in to buy a computer. Said no when I offered the service of building it for him assuming he didn't know how to build a computer. The mom claims he's a computer wiz and he's going to be in computer engineering when he goes to university. This kid was probably 10. Walked out with the parts, comes back a couple of days later to the service desk saying his computer doesn't work. Didn't mount the motherboard properly, didn't screw all the motherboard screws in and he screwed it directly to the board with no stand offs. Killed the board in the process. When asked why he didn't use standoffs for the board he replies "What is that?" Half his components fried when the PSU short circuited from the fact the motherboard was mounted improperly. Ended up buying all new components and having us repair it for him. so that was a pretty expensive lesson for the kid. :P

Also, had this girl come in asking for a 2 Tarobyte hard drive. I was so close in asking whether she wanted tapioca with her hard drive. :P

I have tons of these. lol

Back when I was working at my local Canada Computers, this mom and son come in to buy a computer. Said no when I offered the service of building it for him assuming he didn't know how to build a computer. The mom claims he's a computer wiz and he's going to be in computer engineering when he goes to university. This kid was probably 10. Walked out with the parts, comes back a couple of days later to the service desk saying his computer doesn't work. Didn't mount the motherboard properly, didn't screw all the motherboard screws in and he screwed it directly to the board with no stand offs. Killed the board in the process. When asked why he didn't use standoffs for the board he replies "What is that?" Half his components fried when the PSU short circuited from the fact the motherboard was mounted improperly. Ended up buying all new components and having us repair it for him. so that was a pretty expensive lesson for the kid. :P

Also, had this girl come in asking for a 2 Tarobyte hard drive. I was so close in asking whether she wanted tapioca with her hard drive. :P

I have tons of these. lol

Back when I was helping my day assemble our first pc, (some 5-6 years ago so I must have been like 12) I was fortunate enough that my computer teacher showed us a pc build on youtube where the youtuber (don't remember who it was but it wasn't anyone I know) mentioned the standoffs. Otherwise my dad would have done the same thing that kid did...

@LasersPewPew

Please, tell us more of your adventures in non-techie utopia.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

My Friend: Hey bro, I'm getting an Alienware Laptop

Me: Oh cool, I'm building a new rig soon too! 

My Friend: Why bro?  Alienware is the best, their laptops are the most powerful in the whole world.

Me: And the most expensive. 

My Friend:  But they have the best build quality and they have 8GB of RAM!  Thats enough to store tons of photos and stuff! It even has a quad core cpu! 

I was talking to an apple fanboy at college, and he just comes over and chats to me, probably because I'm getting a reputation around the college for being into tech.  And this is the conversation:

Guy: Hey, have you heard of Apple?

Me: The company, yeah, why?

Guy: Because I wanted to tell you they are better than Windows computers

Me: Okay, and why is that?

Guy: They are way stronger and faster and they don't get viruses. 

Me: Actually, I can already think of over 50 Mac viruses that I've seen last year that have spread to over 1,000 mac users. 

Guy: Send me a link and we'll see.  

So we go and talk over Facebook and I send him a file.  I warn him though.  

Next day:

Guy: Dude, help me, theres this thing that asks me to pay money and it won't go away!  I can't do anything!

Me: Is it that virus I sent you?

Guy: No...  Actually, I know how to fix it.  

I could see tears building up in his eyes.

So did my Uncle :)

HAHA AWESOME!

I'd still argue that everyone should have an anti-virus, just in case something does happen eg. LTT had a JS injection last week that was linking to a website that hosts malware

really? how do u know?

I guess this somewhat counts. From LTT iMac 5K.

SF35Qzh.jpg

Listen kids, it doesn't matter how much stuff costs or how it performs, all that matters is how sexy it is ! :D

Lol I've seen that comment too ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Very recent one, a friend of mine asked for help with putting together a cheap PC for light video and photo editing. Was able to put together something quite solid for the £400 budget. After looking it all over she says "I'm just going to buy a £1200 mac instead on a payment plan" the specs for which are shocking. 

It really baffles me when people ask you for tech advice then completely ignore everything you say; do what they were going to anyway. Then inevitably come back to you a couple of months later with problems. 

-snip-

I think you will enjoy this sauron.

That's like trying to say a Fiat is on par with a fucking Lamborghini or Ferrari...

"Why the fuck would you get that Ferrari if the Fiat is on par and if not better than it?"

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

That's like trying to say a Fiat is on par with a fucking Lamborghini or Ferrari...

"Why the fuck would you get that Ferrari if the Fiat is on par and if not better than it?"

Its called buyers remorse and justifying your purchase.

People do it all the time here in the forums ;)

It really baffles me when people ask you for tech advice then completely ignore everything you say; do what they were going to anyway. Then inevitably come back to you a couple of months later with problems. 

That was basically my job for 7 years :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That was basically my job for 7 years :D

friend :HUH man im gonna buy this awsome FX cpu for gaems!!!

Me: Games will run like crap.

friend : Shut up fangirl.

6 months later : My gaems iz so slow.

Me: I told you.

friend :HUH man im gonna buy this awsome FX cpu for gaems!!!

Me: Games will run like crap.

friend : Shut up fangirl.

6 months later : My gaems iz so slow.

Me: I told you.

Yeah well try that with like 300 customers a day for years on end ><

They would be like

CMR "looking to edit 1080p video and play games.. wil this £300 celeron laptop be ok?"

ME "it will be horrible slow and take years for each video and no graphics card for games"

CMR "great ill take it"

long pause as I process what just happened

ME "whatever, here you are"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah well try that with like 300 customers a day for years on end ><

They would be like

CMR "looking to edit 1080p video and play games.. wil this £300 celeron laptop be ok?"

ME "it will be horrible slow and take years for each video and no graphics card for games"

CMR "great ill take it"

long pause as I process what just happened

ME "whatever, here you are"

It will only take one light year per video.

I know light year measures distance , shut up , its funny.

It will only take one light year per video.

I know light year measures distance , shut up , its funny.

It can do the Kessel run in 600000 Parsecs

You just went full nerd on me xD

I had to google that.

haha it just reminded me of the stupid bit in star wars where he says "I did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs".. and parsecs are a unit of distance not time.. thus the quote in the film makes no fucking sense 

Although .. there are genuine explanations about black holes and stuff

anywho

people are retarded /thread