Experiences with non-techies

5 hours ago, Scitesh said:

What  were you trying to do make a 7 gamers 1 tower  styled PC  something

That thing had the IO 

No, just a regular PC. Told them to return the 2 cannot be used junks and grab a external card reader. Internals during that time were crap too. And not many have it, so buying 1 internal means they will have to buy many more for all the PCs they have.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like posting stuff here every few months.

1: Last year, got my mom a laptop. She likes playing a few games, and since I'm more tech-aware than most people, I made sure she got a good one. It ended up having a 250gb ssd and a 1 tb harddrive. I explain to her that it is important to store only important things on the SSD, since space is a concern. Now, one year later, I come home from college for thanksgiving, and she tells me she's been getting "low on space"-type warnings. I check her documents and the 1tb harddrive is completely empty. not a single file is in there. She has only been saving stuff to her ssd.

Also, she now always uses a 4-port USB hub, 3 ports of which are USB receivers for mice. She doesn't know which one goes to which mouse, so she has them all connected 100% of the time.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

2 hours ago, JMSOG said:

1: Last year, got my mom a laptop. She likes playing a few games, and since I'm more tech-aware than most people, I made sure she got a good one. It ended up having a 250gb ssd and a 1 tb harddrive. I explain to her that it is important to store only important things on the SSD, since space is a concern. Now, one year later, I come home from college for thanksgiving, and she tells me she's been getting "low on space"-type warnings. I check her documents and the 1tb harddrive is completely empty. not a single file is in there. She has only been saving stuff to her ssd.

Also, she now always uses a 4-port USB hub, 3 ports of which are USB receivers for mice. She doesn't know which one goes to which mouse, so she has them all connected 100% of the time.

wow just test ffs... and fore the files thats what my brother does but for a different reason, his SSHD dind work properly out of the box and he NEVER TOLD ME TO FIX IT... i asked him if i could borrow his computer for an hour and fix it for him but he is like, "nah im doing stuff eff off" and it blows my mind how he can live with just 250GB of storage when im using like 600GB on just my main PC lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

ok wow i just found a retart with a PC to sell, he claims you cant get a Radeon 6990 in Sweden and that they go for $800 usiually, says that sound cards take a segnificant load of your CPU and has the litteraly worst watercooling i have seen for sale... https://www.blocket.se/vasternorrland/Pc_dator_70423838.htm?ca=4&w=1 selling it for $500 too and wants cash -_- 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

New software implementation at work, it seems that makes people forget how to use a computer ... I had to deal with people not being able to copy/paste anymore (user error), not being able to select the right printer even though that didn't change (old and new software create reports as a PDF and automatically opens it in Acrobat), etc.

That's on top of the usual software implementation problems like server load balancing problems, bandwidth usage problems, licensing problems, etc ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

"Keyboard not connected.

Press F1 to continue."

now that's what i call goldy (if you don't know, i don't mean goldy the fish, i mean a subset of irony AND goldy the fish)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

"Stand out from the crowd"

Capture.PNG

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

"

I upgraded to a 9.6" tablet from a 7" tablet and what a difference this has made
"

I agree, your tablet just gained 2.6" more so it is defanutely better m8

A few years back my brother called me saying there was an issue with his laptop. I can't quite remember what the issue was but i talked him through running CHKDSK before boot, he thought I was some sort of NSA computer hacker (to be fair, with it being run before boot it probably looked like the shitty hacker screens in movies).

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:22 AM, themctipers said:

Apparently rendering 1080p content onto a 4K display is the same as rendering 4K on a 4K display 

apple discord ?

Yea totes m8, coz ur showin 4x the rez of the original content 9_9

Watching Brandon's review of the 5D Mark IV just gave me flashbacks of people telling me their phones are light years ahead of the several thousand dollar DSLR I'm holding in my hands because their little rectangles can "do 4K". *sigh*

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Dargenfire said:

Yea totes m8, coz ur showin 4x the rez of the original content 9_9

Watching Brandon's review of the 5D Mark IV just gave me flashbacks of people telling me their phones are light years ahead of the several thousand dollar DSLR I'm holding in my hands because their little rectangles can "do 4K". *sigh*

Thats what people were telling me when I was using my Rebel T3. I was like look at this *shows my camera* "and then that "shows their camera"

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

OOH! I got one. I was on the phone with a client of mine the other day (super sweet lady) and I was trying to describe how to connect her laptop to wifi. I told her to look down in the bottom right, near the clock, for the wifi icon. She said there was no clock in the bottom. I told her it would be next to the volume indicator, and that it is most definitely there. She proceeds to tell me she sees arrows pointing up, down, left and right, and a button that says CTRL. At this point, I say nothing, because I'm both stunned and confused. I then manage to stammer out, "The laptop is powered on, right?"

Long pause.

"No. Does it need to be?"

Ugh.

Later in the call, I have her take a picture of the bottom of her modem, where the sticker is with the connection details. I then have to take another call. When I call her back, she tells me she's carried the modem upstairs and can't see the wireless network. Again, I'm speechless. I try to tell her it has to be connected to something to function.

That's like.... pulling all the spark plugs out of your car, and wondering why it won't start.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

I have to vent, just had 4 people in my IT class claiming that it's the first pixel density number that counts.

We were talking about 4K screens when one said that no true 4K screens exist. I said if he meant that 4K screens technically would be what 8k screens should be called, then yes, he is correct, which he said no to.

I started talking about how 4K technically is 2K since it is 3840x2160. He then started saying that it is the first pixel count that counts (which is why he said they were not real 4k). I said no and told him that 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels which he then said was 2K. My argument was then, that we agree that that EVERYBODY called 1920x1080 1080p right?

He agreed and then said that since it is called both Full HD AND 1080p it could also be called 2K since "it already has 2 names, it could have 3". I then said that what would we call 1440p? 2,5K? Which he then said yes to, it is totally okay to say 2560x1440 is 2,5K. Again using the logic of the 1080p argument, and ended it with what he meant was that a few monitors have 4096x2160 or something like that and that was 4k. Then another chipped in with that 2056x1080 or something like that exists and is also called 2K, "surprised?" (Bolstering the claim that it is totally normal for some people to use the first pixel count for all monitors). I then told him to search for 2K screens and see if any 1920x1080 monitors showed up. He refused. Had 3 people agreeing with him the whole time.

1 hour ago, cummerou1 said:

I have to vent, just had 4 people in my IT class claiming that it's the first pixel density number that counts.

almost like my IT TEACHER who says DVD is HD because 720*480 .________.

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

almost like my IT TEACHER who says DVD is HD because 720*480 .________.

or the retarded way of saying "HD":

agá dê

for some reason if you spell it correctly it sounds exactly how a Portuguese person would say "HD" for some reason

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

or the retarded way of saying "HD":

agá dê

for some reason if you spell it correctly it sounds exactly how a Portuguese person would say "HD" for some reason

well im german , we say

haːde

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

We were talking about 4K screens when one said that no true 4K screens exist. I said if he meant that 4K screens technically would be what 8k screens should be called, then yes, he is correct, which he said no to.

I started talking about how 4K technically is 2K since it is 3840x2160. He then started saying that it is the first pixel count that counts (which is why he said they were not real 4k). I said no and told him that 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels which he then said was 2K. My argument was then, that we agree that that EVERYBODY called 1920x1080 1080p right?

He agreed and then said that since it is called both Full HD AND 1080p it could also be called 2K since "it already has 2 names, it could have 3". I then said that what would we call 1440p? 2,5K? Which he then said yes to, it is totally okay to say 2560x1440 is 2,5K. Again using the logic of the 1080p argument, and ended it with what he meant was that a few monitors have 4096x2160 or something like that and that was 4k. Then another chipped in with that 2056x1080 or something like that exists and is also called 2K, "surprised?" (Bolstering the claim that it is totally normal for some people to use the first pixel count for all monitors). I then told him to search for 2K screens and see if any 1920x1080 monitors showed up. He refused. Had 3 people agreeing with him the whole time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

Specs:

8 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

snip

what would according this his logic 1920x1200 be called 2k or 1200p?

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

8 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

I was Taught the following

1280*720 : HD /1K

1920*1080:FHd/1.7K

2560*1440:2K/1440p

3840*2160:4K/UHd (I argued it should be 3K)

27 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

what would according this his logic 1920x1200 be called 2k or 1200p?

On 25/11/2016 at 7:35 AM, JMSOG said:

Write a PS script that moves big files from her USERPATH to the secondary drive, leaving a symlink in its place (run it once a day or so from the system event manager) :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

14 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

Your friend is just probably confusing the 16:9 res of 1920 X 1080 (Called 1080p or Full HD) and the 17:9 res of 2048 X 1080 (2K),and is probably suffering from a bit of "I know everything" syndrome

There is actually sometimes a lot of confusion surrounding resolution names and almost everyone seems to get something wrong.
On the internet, and most everywhere else, 16:9 is the standard widescreen format and 21:9 is the standard ultrawide format.
HOWEVER in the film industry different standards are used, where 17:9 is the standard widescreen format and 2.40:1 is the standard ultrawide/cinematic format.
The trouble with these two naming conventions is that they have become mixed up. So let me clarify:

16:9 Aspect ratio
960 X 540 - "540p" - "qHD" (Quarter High Definition)
1280 X 720 - "720p" - "HD" (High Definition)
1920 X 1080 - "1080p" - "Full HD" (Full High Definition)
2560 X 1440 - "1440p" - "WQHD" (Widescreen Quad High Definition)
3840 X 2160 - "2160p" - "UHD" (Ultra High Definition) - Sometimes called 4K UHD
7680 X 4320 - "4320p" - Called 8K UHD to differentiate from 4K UHD

17:9 Aspect ratio
2048 X 1080 - "2K"
2720 X 1440 - "2.5K" (defacto name)
4096 X 2160 - "4K" - Often called True 4K

16:9 Ultra HD has become commonly referred to by most as 4K, which is incorrect. Using the "K" name for a resolution then became more commonplace, with 1440p hence being dubbed "2.5K" even though the actual resolution of 2720 X 1440 not actually existing as a standard.
In the Film industry, 2.5K is most commonly used when referring to the native resolution of a video camera sensor, however the actual resolution will differ slightly from camera to camera, as in the Film industry the K naming scheme is used to give a general indication of the amount of vertical pixels when it is not referring to a standardised resolution (i.e. 2K and 4K are standard resolutions, but 2.5K and 3K are not)
The astute of you may have noticed small amounts of letterboxing on professionally done widescreen short films on Youtube when viewed on a 16:9 screen. This is because of that video being exported in a 17:9 aspect ratio, or letterboxed into a 16:9 video for upload to YouTube.

Now let's talk about the ultrawide format.

21:9 Aspect ratio
2560 X 1080 - "1080p Ultrawide"
3440 X 1440 - "1440p Ultrawide"

These are the two standard "Ultrawide" aspect ratios that are becoming more and more commonplace in the monitor market.
The equivalent to Ultrawide in the film industry is technically a very small range of ratios (between 2.35:1 and 2.40:1) caled "cinematic" ratios BUT over the last 5 years or so, every major movie studio has gravitated towards 2.40:1 and made it unofficially ubiquitous as "the" cinematic aspect ratio. 2.40:1, often referred to as "two-four-oh" is, like 17:9, slightly wider than the "ultrawide" consumer standard. For comparison, a ratio of 21:9 translates to the ratio of 2.33:1, and a ratio of 2.40:1 translates to the ratio of 21.6:9.

I hope this helps clarify things for everyone.

Source: Dad is a video producer and video editor.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Capture+_2016-12-03-08-48-00.png

"You wanna try squeeze as much performance out of your budget as you can"

NO REALLY? I never would have guessed.

Specs:

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Capture+_2016-12-03-08-48-00.png

"You wanna try squeeze as much performance out of your budget as you can"

NO REALLY? I never would have guessed.

Ya I know right? This guy is so dumb, who the heck wants to squeeze the most PERFORMANCE possible out of their budget? It's all about those flashy lights!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb